Dell P2312H Monitor - no power from USB ports?

Found 1st Jun 2016
Never felt the need to use the USB ports on my Dell monitor but today decided to use them for charging the phone and powering USB speaker. However I can't get them to work.....anything I need to do to get power to them? No settings in on screen menu about USB.
Community Updates
AskDellMonitor
10 Comments
If you have nothing from any port then I suggest it is a driver issue. Go to Dells UK support site and look for them there. It is unlikely but not impossible to be a hardware failure, as to have more than one port go duff at a time is very rare.
Nah, nothing, wish I had tried them out when I first got it now. 2 dead USB ports.
The ports could be wired as a passive hub and not have any power through them. They're probably only for data use.
USB ports on the monitor are essentially USB hub/switch. They take power from your computer over USB port (and not VGA/DVI port). This mean you need to have a USB cable coming from your computer going into your monitor. This will activate the ports on the monitor for you to use.

You might have already done this but I thought I would mention it just in case.
So I would use one USB port on my computer to put into a USB port on my monitor to leave me with one USB port on my monitor? Kind of defeats the object of having 2 USB ports on the monitor, amy as well just continue to use my PC ports.

So I would use one USB port on my computer to put into a USB port on my … So I would use one USB port on my computer to put into a USB port on my monitor to leave me with one USB port on my monitor? Kind of defeats the object of having 2 USB ports on the monitor, amy as well just continue to use my PC ports.

No, there's a dedicated upstream USB port (Type B) next to the VGA connector.

No, there's a dedicated upstream USB port (Type B) next to the VGA … No, there's a dedicated upstream USB port (Type B) next to the VGA connector.

Ah just looked never saw one, I will get some light onto it and have another look, that makes more sense, lol.

Ah just looked never saw one, I will get some light onto it and have … Ah just looked never saw one, I will get some light onto it and have another look, that makes more sense, lol.

I have a similar Dell monitor and they are spot on, you need a USB cable running from your PC which plugs into your monitor to supply power. The end that goes into the monitor is a USB B socket (like you use for printers) and has its own port.

Edited by: "joshp" 1st Jun 2016
Yup found it, cheers.
They give out power even without the usb, I use mine to charge my phone. It's incredibly slow though, low ampage, I wouldn't bother.

Actually I have the 2314 sorry.
Edited by: "dcx_badass" 1st Jun 2016
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants