Groups

Dell PC's

Looking at Dell Inspiron PC's. Don't need anything high tech. Previous PC's have had AMD processors, so can't say I'm unhappy with them, but I'm not sure how they compare with Intel these days.

Well, they have Inspiron 560 with Intel processor for £279, or a 570 with AMD processor for £259. However when I try to look at them on the site the prices jump up!!! Can't seem to be able to select them at this price on the site, but meanwhile if anyone can advise if there are any real advantage of choosing one processor over the other please let me know.

4 Comments

Original Poster

Thanks.

Would this one below be fine for example?? I have an old Time one just now, since they closed down years ago I think it's probably coming to an end of its lifespan!!!

AMD Sempron™ 140 (2.7GHz, 1MB Cache)

Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English

320GB (7200rpm) SATA Hard Drive

2048MB Dual Channel DDR3 1066MHz [2x1024] Memory

16X DVD+/- RW Optical Drive (DVD & CD read and write)

Integrated ATI Radeon HD4200 Graphics

Integrated 7.1 channel audio

Price From £259

Includes VAT & Shipping

Original Poster

Thanks for that. Would I be able to play sims etc on it? I doubt I could play it on our current one - but I have played it on hubby's laptop (2 years old Dell).

Hubby does his gaming on the laptop, so it would only really be for internet etc, and maybe I'd play sims or similar. Is this still ok then?

Original Poster

Many many thanks. Much appreciated!!

AMD processors in recent times are generally regarded as slower than equivalent intel processors (although I'm sure there are exception thru there ranges).

AMD also (IMO) tend to run hotter so need to be cooled more agressively (i.e. usually meaning the fans in the machine might be working harder (louder) than intels, that said AMD are generally cheaper and perfectly adequate in many scenarios...( by the sound of it you will not really be pushing the processor much but always try and think down the line and if your needs might change...)
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. love affairs1753
      2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767292
      3. Seems that Uber will NOT have it's London Licence Renewed by TFL - declarin…1629
      4. word association Game73944499

See more discussions