Groups

Dell Studio 17 (1749) Laptop (Intel i3-330M, 4GB) Scratch+Dent, Worth the price?

I have been looking at a new laptop to buy and have narrowed it down to either the studio 15 or the 17 model and after looking at the outlet store I was thinking about buying the folliwing system which comes to around £520 inc del+vat, I am abit put off with the i3 processor though as I would prefer a i5 or i7 and would also like a larger HD, but I guess those will cost more when they appear on the outlet, so can any computer savvy person tell me whether its worth the pricetag or should I wait awhile longer?:

Operating System
    English Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium (64 BIT)Memory
    Intel i3-330M(2.13GHz) Mobile CPU
    4096MB (2x2048) 1333MHz DDR3 Dual Channel
    Hard Disk Drive
    320GB Serial ATA (7200RPM)Video
    Graphics : 1 GB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650
    NoteBook Screen
    17.3in High Definition+ (1600X900) LED with TrueLifeSystem Color
    Black ChainlinkMISC
    Battery Primary 6-cell 56W/HR LI-ION
    Camera Integrated 2.0 Mega Pixel Camera
    Internal UK/Irish Qwerty Keyboard
    Grade 1 Scratch or Dent
    Dell Wireless 1397 (802.11 b g)Base
    Studio 1749Media Bay
    DVD+ -RW (8X)

11 Comments

I've just had a look on the Dell website, found a studio 15 for £529 inc VAT

]http//co…dhs

Intel® Core™ i3-330M (2.13Ghz, 4Threads, 3MB cache)
    Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English
    Computrace LoJack for Laptops, 1yr license - included with your PC
    15.6" High Definition (1366x768) WLED
    3072MB 1333MHz Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM [1x2048 + 1x1024]
    320GB (5,400rpm) Serial ATA Hard Drive
    512MB ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 545v
    DVD +/- RW Drive (read/write CD & DVD) with DVD Burn software
    Primary 6-cell 56 WHr Lithium Ion battery

The differences to note:
    17" to 15"
    4GB of ram to 3GB
    and graphics card difference.

But how much is it all worth to you? Plus this one would be brand new. The choice is yours... :thumbsup:

Original Poster

well ill be taking it with me when I move to japan for the year and ill be using it mostly for 3D modelling/animation and photoshop painting mostly, so I figure the high ram is needed along with a good processor. It wil act more like a replacement desktop tbh so the monitor size isnt too much of an issue (or perhaps bigger is better) Its just ive seen so many different deals people have got on the outlet store some for nearer to £400 with great specs, but I think thats all hit and miss and good timing really, though im in no rush as I dont go until august anyhow

Well I paid almost the same price for this from Dell Outlet, and mine was refurb not scratch and dent:

CPU: "Clarksfield" Intel Core i7-720QM @ 1.6Ghz (clocks upto 2.8Ghz using Turbo) 6MB L3 cache
    Chipset: Intel PM55
    Memory: 2x 2GB DDR3 PC3-10700 (667Mhz) in Dual Channel
    Hard Drive: Toshiba 500GB 5.2krpm
    Optical Drive: Toshiba 8x DVD-RW Slot Loading
    Graphics Card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650 1024MB
    Sound: IDT & ATI HD Audio + JBL 2.1 Built in
    Screen: 17.3" HD+ (1600 x 900) TrueLife WLED

awoodhall2003;8570367

Well I paid almost the same price for this from Dell Outlet, and mine was … Well I paid almost the same price for this from Dell Outlet, and mine was refurb not scratch and dent:CPU: "Clarksfield" Intel Core i7-720QM @ 1.6Ghz (clocks upto 2.8Ghz using Turbo) 6MB L3 cacheChipset: Intel PM55Memory: 2x 2GB DDR3 PC3-10700 (667Mhz) in Dual ChannelHard Drive: Toshiba 500GB 5.2krpmOptical Drive: Toshiba 8x DVD-RW Slot LoadingGraphics Card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650 1024MB Sound: IDT & ATI HD Audio + JBL 2.1 Built inScreen: 17.3" HD+ (1600 x 900) TrueLife WLEDOS: Windows 7 Premium 64-Bit

Thats more along the lines of what I was thinking you should be paying :thumbsup:

Gigzz;8570381

Thats more along the lines of what I was thinking you should be paying … Thats more along the lines of what I was thinking you should be paying :thumbsup:

I think the unit+VAT+postage = £565ish

Original Poster

thanks for the advice, I just figured though that the prices would be pretty much set in the value of the components, rather than almost random. So if I wanted the specs I stated but with a 500gb HD then it would be X amount more. Is there any reason for the variation in pricing, cos for the specs you got at £565 I would snap it up instantly :P

Banned

why don't you buy one in japan will be cheaper no?

I got the exact thing as the OP posted (except the cpu can be i3 or i5). I think it came at £513. Waiting for it to be delivered now. I think its a really good deal, only thing that put me off slightly is the screen, i wanted a full hd one but i've also got a vaio EC for blueray.

Original Poster

do you think that full hd would matter on a laptop screen? i have "experienced" bluray on a friends tv and it was impressive but that was a 40" screen so if it was on a 15 or17" one I cant imagine how much difference it would make

Fiori;8571364

do you think that full hd would matter on a laptop screen? i have … do you think that full hd would matter on a laptop screen? i have "experienced" bluray on a friends tv and it was impressive but that was a 40" screen so if it was on a 15 or17" one I cant imagine how much difference it would make

You generally sit a lot closer to a laptop screen. Also higher resolution gives you more screen 'estate' to play with and utilise.

bykergrove;8570442

why don't you buy one in japan will be cheaper no?

Yea but their screens are at a funny angle :whistling:
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767389
      2. So Brexit isn't going how a lot of Brexiters thought it would2476
      3. *** Weekly game codes giveaway 188 ***1529
      4. The HUKD Student Discount code sharing thread (most codes on Unidays are si…7201355

See more discussions