Dell + Vista product code help

Found 2nd Sep 2009
Hi all... When I try to log in on my Laptop a box comes up saying Vista product code invalid, it then gives an option to purchase various versions of Vista ! or re type existing product code, which I've done approx 5 times (Label underneath) Its driving me mental !

Has anyone come across this problem ? Its as if Dell have built it with some sort of cheeky expiry time program.

Dell Vostro 1500, purchased new approx 18 months ago, direct from Dell with Vista home basic pre installed

many thanks

11 Comments

Sounds more like a virus or computer been hacked.

Original Poster

dcx_badass;6189273

Well the code on the bottom won't work as it doesn't use that, you need … Well the code on the bottom won't work as it doesn't use that, you need the Dell Home basic oem code, ring them for it, but Vostros are the business laptops afaik they come with Vista Business or XP pro as defualt.

genuine Windows® Vista Home Basic, pre installed. Will try calling Dell in the morning. ta

Original Poster

Ahhh... thanks for that link, (deffo looks like the problem) only problem is the suggested resolutions need the Computer to be fully functional ie I need to access, start, computer, properties etc

Original Poster

dcx_badass;6189673

I'd ring dell then or failing that Microsoft.

Cheers mate... repped :thumbsup:

dcx_badass;6189273

Well the code on the bottom won't work as it doesn't use that, you need … Well the code on the bottom won't work as it doesn't use that, you need the Dell Home basic oem code, ring them for it, but Vostros are the business laptops afaik they come with Vista Business or XP pro as defualt.

and yet mine came with xp home

but your right about the serial number

its probably on the internet somewhere. have a google

Dell's Vista Home Basic OEM Royalty key is:

-

3YMR2-WMV49-4WD8X-M9WM7-CH4CG

Taken from a disc I have lying around.

Original Poster

Many thanks again all... will try that code and let you know

BTW here's the Lappy in question http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/130860/dell-vostro-1500-notebook-core-2-du/showthread.php?t=130860

zermattbusby;6189813

BTW here's the Lappy in question … BTW here's the Lappy in question http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/130860/dell-vostro-1500-notebook-core-2-du/showthread.php?t=130860

Thats the one I got.

Lots of people on this forum got one from those deals. :thumbsup:

Original Poster

3YMR2-WMV49-4WD8X-M9WM7-CH4CG afraid it did not work

Just reinstall using the disc that came with it.

No serial needed there.

If you can start Windows in reduced functionality mode, or any mode that launches a browser (Internet Explorer) you can probably fix this. I've never seen this particular error before.
Post a comment
@
    Text