Dell warranty

Rang their support to no avail. I may buy a Dell desktop. If I do, can I put in the hard drive from my old PC (as an additional) or will this void the warranty ? Thanks for your help.

11 Comments

nah its fine. you warranty will not be void.

I have always found Dell very helpful.
I don't think you'll void your warranty by installing a new harddrive.

Its fine. The additional drive will be installed in a drive bay which is part of the purpose of the device - hence warranty is unaffected.

Toybhoy;4652004

nah its fine. you warranty will not be void.

You sure? I would check the small print on that.

It won't. You'll need to remove the drive first should you ever need to phone Tech Support as they won't support 3rd-party hardware, but that's all. They'll support the Dell-supplied parts of the system totally. And just don't mention that you ever put any of your own gear in it.

Trickyjabs;4652013

You sure? I would check the small print on that.

i work for Dell

Original Poster

Thanks for the quick replies. I feel I was bounced round the world by Dell tech support and they were only interested in taking my order. On a side note how are Dell tech support I hear good things but was not impressed by my dealings this morning.

dxx;4652028

It won't. You'll need to remove the drive first should you ever need to … It won't. You'll need to remove the drive first should you ever need to phone Tech Support as they won't support 3rd-party hardware, but that's all. They'll support the Dell-supplied parts of the system totally. And just don't mention that you ever put any of your own gear in it.

Doesnt matter if you put your own gear in.

Infact although they don't support 3rd party hardware, they will offer their help if you do need it for 3rd party stuff but this is purely on a best effort basis

Toybhoy;4652041

i work for Dell

Oh well, you're the man! :thumbsup:

I must say, when I owned a Dell I had one problem with it and the Customer Service were really good.

I'm surprised you can 'modify' computers and not void the warranty in some way. If you installed an item of hardware yourself and there was a problem later, would they not consider you, the customer, responsible for causing the problem?

Trickyjabs;4652780

Oh well, you're the man! :thumbsup: I must say, when I owned a Dell I had … Oh well, you're the man! :thumbsup: I must say, when I owned a Dell I had one problem with it and the Customer Service were really good. I'm surprised you can 'modify' computers and not void the warranty in some way. If you installed an item of hardware yourself and there was a problem later, would they not consider you, the customer, responsible for causing the problem?

We will still help to diagnose the issue and offer any assistance. If after diagnostic, they determined that it was a 3rd party hardware then they would recommend that you change it. If say a 3rd party memory damanged the motherboard then they would still replace it as long as it is in warranty.

Toybhoy;4652901

We will still help to diagnose the issue and offer any assistance. If … We will still help to diagnose the issue and offer any assistance. If after diagnostic, they determined that it was a 3rd party hardware then they would recommend that you change it. If say a 3rd party memory damanged the motherboard then they would still replace it as long as it is in warranty.

Kudos to Dell, that's top draw!
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7763989
    2. Any PS4 News Here29213595
    3. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846087
    4. HUKD Nintendo Switch owners thread941301

See more discussions