Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Demand for money owed

Posted 3rd Aug 2020
I am in dispute with the council at the moment about service charge. I have already posted a thread about this before, but this one is about a very specific query about the length of time that someone can bill you retrospectively.

The council has sent me a bill and stated that there was an error on their system, which meant they did not bill me before, but now they have realised their mistake and so they will start billing now. However, they will also bill me for the last 4 years as well, as they should have been doing this.

This is a complicated dispute, and I don't want to go into the rest of it for this post.

Simply for this thread, my question is. Can someone bill you retrorespectively? And if so, what is the maximum length of time that they can go back to? I know for example, that for utitlity bills, they can only go back 12 months, and for debts owed, where they had asked you for payment but haven't received it, they can still claim it 6 years later.

Anyone got any insight into this?
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
For advice in legal matters you would be better off asking a lawyer or even Citizens Advice Bureau rather than an online forum. Telling a judge that the reason you haven't paid is because someone in an online forum told you that you didn't have to is going to get laughed out of court (which is where you'll end up if you don't seek legal advice).
8 Comments
How much is the bill
Jumping on this bandwagon, is there a way to check how much one pays on service charge compared to other properties on the same road?
For advice in legal matters you would be better off asking a lawyer or even Citizens Advice Bureau rather than an online forum. Telling a judge that the reason you haven't paid is because someone in an online forum told you that you didn't have to is going to get laughed out of court (which is where you'll end up if you don't seek legal advice).
You don't want to go into the rest of it for this post?

How can you expect anyone to advise if you are withholding possibly vital information?
rimalpatel00703/08/2020 20:36

Jumping on this bandwagon, is there a way to check how much one pays on …Jumping on this bandwagon, is there a way to check how much one pays on service charge compared to other properties on the same road?

Knock on the other properties' doors & ask the occupants.
Best to ask citizen advice
What did the contract say when you started renting or the covenants when you bought it?
Post a comment
@
    Text