Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

DENON AUDYSSEY Crossover Frequency Setting 200Hz To High? + Dynamic Volume Etc? Help Please.

Posted 12th Aug 2019Edited by:"lettherebedeals"
Hi All, so I need a little advice , for 2 years I used my present 5.1.2 setup without using the Denon Audyssey at all, everything was set at 0db with a default crossover frequency of 80Hz on all speakers, when I FINALLY decided to try setup using the Denon Audyssey Mic I was actually quite AMAZED how much better my system sounded, however it set majority of my speakers to around -9.5db, some at around -5.5db, sub -10db, I didn't like this so I changed everything back to 0db, however every time I setup using Denon Audyssey is usually sets 5 speakers to 200Hz and in some instances 250Hz crossover and the front height always to 80Hz crossover, fair enough, but is a crossover frequency of 200Hz to high?, so I did some research and like so much else when it comes to the proper crossover its a very subjective debate.

Still I found one article purely based on my actual speakers which highlights that because my 5 small cube-size speakers have a frequency of 150Hz - 22.000hz, I should set all of them to 150Hz Including the LFE, so I did, but the bass sounded to delayed, So I recently changed my 5 speakers to a crossover of 200Hz and my 2 height (Atmos speakers) to 100Hz, and in all HONESTY is sounds pretty amazing perfect I think, I can actually FEEL THE BASS now and notice the surround effects perfectly, but in some instances it feels to much, is the kind of sound experience where you think WOW, but its to much BASS and the neighbors will surely be knocking on the walls.

Now as for my 2 height speakers they have a frequency of 60 -24.000Hz, is setting these to 100Hz to high?

Also on my subwoofer I have 3 knobs, one of PHASE whatever that is, which I have set at 0. Volume which is set at 50% and CUT-OFF which start at 40 all the way up to 200 which is set just shy of 200Hz, does this sound correct?

Why does Audyssey set some speakers into -9.0 db etc? why is this, and is is a good thing or a bad thing to change them back to 0db?

Also what about Dynamic Volume, I usually have this set to LIGHT? personally I think it sounds great, but reading some forums, they say using Dynamic Volume compresses the sound and your losing detail is this true? I also always have the REFERENCE setting on... I never change it to flat or bypass.

To conclude my settings are NOW as follows.

Crossover Frequency for 5 speakers (front L/R, center & surround) at 200Hz with a crossover of 100hz for the 2 front height speakers and finally the LFE at 150Hz, is that OK or is it all to high?

Apparently the lower the crossover the better, is this true? what do you find works best, do you think having some of your speakers into the minus decibels range works better and should you always accept the Denon Audyssey settings without changing them for the best sounding experience?

Any suggestions & help appreciated. Thanks.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

10 Comments
The answer is very simple set it to what sounds best to you.. Not what someone thinks it should be.. I use the Audyssey setup to and its perfect imo. Only thing I change is the centre channel for vocals as they can be low sometimes when your just watching normal stereo TV
Edited by: "MrSprkle" 12th Aug 2019
You’re causing a loss of detail with crossover frequencies set incorrectly. The reason it sounds like it has more bass is because you’re telling your system to root all frequencies below 200hz to the subwoofer. It’s really not how it should sound.

Your cut off setting is a crossover setting. You only need this if your receiver cannot manage the frequencies itself. Usually, this has to be set at a certain level though to activate this on your sub (mine has to be turned all the way up for example). What are your speakers, subwoofer and receiver? If you tell me these, I can tell you what the correct settings are based on your set up.

There is nothing wrong with the speakers being set that low on their levels by the way. It is just audyssey working as it’s supposed to. The only thing you may have to change is the centre speaker levels to be higher as it can sometimes be set too low. (Usually have to increase it 2db at most) You should leave all the others alone and only change the crossover frequencies.

It is true that lower crossovers are better. Dynamic volume will tame the bass down so as not to annoy your neighbours.

Set you crossovers to 100hz or the lowest they can possibly go (which would be 150hz on your current cube speakers going by what you say is their crossover.) Set your sub to the lowest it too can go. My speakers all go down to about 80hz but 100hz makes it sound just right.

I know it is thrilling to hear loads of bass, but films aren’t meant to be that way. Replay a scene a few times, with the bass as you have it now and without. You’ll hear the detail you are missing.
Biddy212/08/2019 16:36

You’re causing a loss of detail with crossover frequencies set i …You’re causing a loss of detail with crossover frequencies set incorrectly. The reason it sounds like it has more bass is because you’re telling your system to root all frequencies below 200hz to the subwoofer. It’s really not how it should sound. Your cut off setting is a crossover setting. You only need this if your receiver cannot manage the frequencies itself. Usually, this has to be set at a certain level though to activate this on your sub (mine has to be turned all the way up for example). What are your speakers, subwoofer and receiver? If you tell me these, I can tell you what the correct settings are based on your set up. There is nothing wrong with the speakers being set that low on their levels by the way. It is just audyssey working as it’s supposed to. The only thing you may have to change is the centre speaker levels to be higher as it can sometimes be set too low. (Usually have to increase it 2db at most) You should leave all the others alone and only change the crossover frequencies. It is true that lower crossovers are better. Dynamic volume will tame the bass down so as not to annoy your neighbours. Set you crossovers to 100hz or the lowest they can possibly go (which would be 150hz on your current cube speakers going by what you say is their crossover.) Set your sub to the lowest it too can go. My speakers all go down to about 80hz but 100hz makes it sound just right. I know it is thrilling to hear loads of bass, but films aren’t meant to be that way. Replay a scene a few times, with the bass as you have it now and without. You’ll hear the detail you are missing.

Hi Thanks for the Info, I have the Jamo A102HCS6 5.1 System which consists of 5 speakers and a Subwoofer. My 2 Height Speakers are Wharfedale 9.0 Diamonds. AV Receiver is Denon X2400H.

Here are the Specs of my setup as you can see they do start at 150Hz.

Also I on the Denon Receiver its jumps from 150Hz - 200Hz on the crossover setting, I cannot understand why you cannot change this to say 160Hz or 180Hz, I guess its just the way the Denon Receivers work.

38253446-hGVhL.jpg

38253446-C1YV3.jpg
Edited by: "lettherebedeals" 12th Aug 2019
What sounds good to you is the most important thing - but it might worth trying to set it up correctly as you might not be getting the best out of your equipment.

In an ideal situation you would position all your speakers at equal distances from your seating position in a totally neutral acoustically balanced room - so all the speakers sound exactly the same creating a seamless soundstage all around you. But in real life, in the average sitting room, this isn’t possible. Thus av amps allow calibration to alter the volume, delay & tone of each speaker to try to replicate the ideal. Speakers that are closer to you than others for example will have a lower volume & added delay to make them sound further away from you than they are.

I don’t have any experience of Atmos but in general my advice would be to set the cut off dial on your sub to its maximum setting so it is not filtering anything (you want your amp to control this), leave the phase at 0 & set the sub volume at about a third to half volume. Then use the automatic calibration (audysee in your case) as instructed in your amps manual. Finally set the crossover levels for each speaker as your speaker manufacturer advises - automatic calibration often gets this wrong & detects large speakers when you only have satellites.

Sit in your seating position & play a test tone through it each speaker (your amp should be able to this) & make sure they all sound the same volume - if not make small adjustments.

To make sure the sub is set up correctly - play some music (not a movie) you know well through your system. If it sounds far too bass heavy or thin adjust the volume control on the sub.

There are plenty of helpful articles & videos online & some good test discs (from DTS, Dolby, THX etc ) you can buy, borrow (or get off the internet)to make sure everything is set up correctly & sounding as it should.
Edited by: "captainbeaky" 12th Aug 2019
lettherebedeals12/08/2019 16:51

Hi Thanks for the Info, I have the Jamo A102HCS6 5.1 System which consists …Hi Thanks for the Info, I have the Jamo A102HCS6 5.1 System which consists of 5 speakers and a Subwoofer. My 2 Height Speakers are Wharfedale 9.0 Diamonds. AV Receiver is Denon X2400H.Here are the Specs of my setup as you can see they do start at 150Hz. Also I on the Denon Receiver its jumps from 150Hz - 200Hz on the crossover setting, I cannot understand why you cannot change this to say 160Hz or 180Hz, I guess its just the way the Denon Receivers work. [Image] [Image]

Ok. Just checked the manuals. Set the sub cut off dial to max. The volume dial, have a play and see what you think. Go between half way to 2/3rd of the way. No more than that though.

Set the speakers to 150hz and the sub at 100hz. Set your Atmos speakers to 100hz. Then run Audyssey. Remember to not touch the speaker levels set by Audyssey unless they are really off (as in not equal to each other but if this happens, you probably need to redo the calibration anyway). Only increase the centre speaker level by a few DBs.

Put a film in that you know will have great bass. (I use the Transformers fighting scenes for this.) If it all sounds balanced, then everything is ok.

If the sub still sounds off, try moving it around and then doing the calibration again. A great technique to find the perfect placement in a room is to put your sub where you normally sit, then go around the room with your ear to the ground. You then place it where it sounds best in the room. It sounds nuts, I know, but it really does work. It’s called the Subwoofer Crawl.

Oh and about the Denon jumping from 150 to 200hz, my Sony does this too.
Edited by: "Biddy2" 12th Aug 2019
Biddy212/08/2019 17:26

Ok. Just checked the manuals. Set the sub cut off dial to max. The volume …Ok. Just checked the manuals. Set the sub cut off dial to max. The volume dial, have a play and see what you think. Go between half way to 2/3rd of the way. No more than that though. Set the speakers to 150hz and the sub at 100hz. Set your Atmos speakers to 100hz. Then run Audyssey. Remember to not touch the speaker levels set by Audyssey unless they are really off (as in not equal to each other but if this happens, you probably need to redo the calibration anyway). Only increase the centre speaker level by a few DBs. Put a film in that you know will have great bass. (I use the Transformers fighting scenes for this.) If it all sounds balanced, then everything is ok. If the sub still sounds off, try moving it around and then doing the calibration again. A great technique to find the perfect placement in a room is to put your sub where you normally sit, then go around the room with your ear to the ground. You then place it where it sounds best in the room. It sounds nuts, I know, but it really does work. It’s called the Subwoofer Crawl. Oh and about the Denon jumping from 150 to 200hz, my Sony does this too.

Thanks I have just been re-testing again and playing around with settings, I have a number of DTS, Atmos & Dolby Demo Discs, I have not tried setting my sub to 100Hz I will try it, presently its set at 150Hz, the dial is already just shy of max, I already set the height speakers to 100Hz, so I shall leave them, if I run Audyssey it sets most of the speakers to -9.5 decibels and the sub to -10 decibels, for some reason I like to change these back to 0, but is that the correct thing to do, I cannot understand why Audyssey set speakers into minus levels, why is this, is it because they are close to my listening position, all my speakers are actually less than 3 meters away as I only have a small room, also if I use the modes Entitled "Pure Direct" & "Direct" it turns everything off, so I really have to crank up the volume, but when using these modes does it mean I am actually listening to the way its actually meant to sound...

I must admit I do like the Audyssey setting especially the dynamic volume set to light and reference, but am I missing something by using dynamic volume? if I turn it off, I have to really crank up the volume, but is this better? I also have all dynamic range off and loudness management off.

As for surround, at the moment it sounds perfect and really well-balanced surround wise, I can feel the bass whilst sitting in my chair, but on some demos it sounds like the subwoofer will blow up and vibrates the entire room including the furniture LOL... volume wise I set the dial to half-way point... do you think I should knock it down a touch.

Also on my blu-ray player I have three options for sounds settings, 48Hz, 96Hz & 192Hz, I have this set at 192Hz, is this better? I have noticed the Amazon Fire 4K stick automatically sets the FS to 192Hz, so I presumed 192Hz is the better setting?

Anyhow I am grateful for the advice, I have read numerous forums but everyone gives different opinions, but another question I will ask, do you think when I used all my speakers etc prior to using the Audyssey Mic where everything was set at 80Hz do you think this as damaged my speakers in anyway... I don't think so... they still sound great, even though I have had them around 6 years, but does going to a much lower crossover harm the speakers?

PS: I have all my speakers set to small because they are small but in the manual it says the surrounds are full-range does this mean I should set them to large? even though they are physically small lol ?

Thanks Again.
lettherebedeals12/08/2019 18:18

Thanks I have just been re-testing again and playing around with settings, …Thanks I have just been re-testing again and playing around with settings, I have a number of DTS, Atmos & Dolby Demo Discs, I have not tried setting my sub to 100Hz I will try it, presently its set at 150Hz, the dial is already just shy of max, I already set the height speakers to 100Hz, so I shall leave them, if I run Audyssey it sets most of the speakers to -9.5 decibels and the sub to -10 decibels, for some reason I like to change these back to 0, but is that the correct thing to do, I cannot understand why Audyssey set speakers into minus levels, why is this, is it because they are close to my listening position, all my speakers are actually less than 3 meters away as I only have a small room, also if I use the modes Entitled "Pure Direct" & "Direct" it turns everything off, so I really have to crank up the volume, but when using these modes does it mean I am actually listening to the way its actually meant to sound... I must admit I do like the Audyssey setting especially the dynamic volume set to light and reference, but am I missing something by using dynamic volume? if I turn it off, I have to really crank up the volume, but is this better? I also have all dynamic range off and loudness management off. As for surround, at the moment it sounds perfect and really well-balanced surround wise, I can feel the bass whilst sitting in my chair, but on some demos it sounds like the subwoofer will blow up and vibrates the entire room including the furniture LOL... volume wise I set the dial to half-way point... do you think I should knock it down a touch. Also on my blu-ray player I have three options for sounds settings, 48Hz, 96Hz & 192Hz, I have this set at 192Hz, is this better? I have noticed the Amazon Fire 4K stick automatically sets the FS to 192Hz, so I presumed 192Hz is the better setting?Anyhow I am grateful for the advice, I have read numerous forums but everyone gives different opinions, but another question I will ask, do you think when I used all my speakers etc prior to using the Audyssey Mic where everything was set at 80Hz do you think this as damaged my speakers in anyway... I don't think so... they still sound great, even though I have had them around 6 years, but does going to a much lower crossover harm the speakers? Thanks Again.

You have the urge to crack them back to 0db because we’re taught through school that “-” is a negative so your mind is telling you it must be bad. I went through the same thing years ago. You’ll get past it in time once you get used to it. In reality, it’ll just be because you have a small room and Audyssey is acknowledging that. The bigger the room, the higher those values will increase.

Pure Direct is turning off all sound processing via the receiver. Direct turns off any processing but should allow you to use things like dynamic volume. Those settings allow you to hear everything as the director intended. You don’t have to use these though. If you prefer the receiver doing some processing to give it more oomph, then use those.

You can use dynamic volume. It’s fine. The reason you have to turn it up when it’s off is because films are generally mastered to play at 80db in a cinema. Now, with the setting off, you’ll have to crank it all the way up to get the best out of it. In reality, this isn’t feasible unless you live in a house in the middle of nowhere with no neighbours and you have it set up in a very large room or don’t mind going deaf. Dynamic volume corrects it so it’ll be perfectly fine. (On mine, it tames the bass but you have a loudness management setting so that will be for taming your bass. Don’t use that. Why these manufacturers cannot decide on universal terms, I’ll never know. )

If it feels too much, knock the sub volume back a little. If it’s on hard flooring though, try putting something under it as that can stop it shaking furniture too without having the volume turned down. You don’t need to do this with carpet mind.

192hz most definitely on your blu ray player. Allows for more detail.

They say it can, but it’s rare. You’d know if they were damaged. A lot of people will tell you to use 80hz but it’s too low even if your speakers can reach it. It’s ok to use on big floorstanding speakers but not really on bookshelf speakers unless you're spending thousands. 100-120hz is usually the perfect range.
lettherebedeals12/08/2019 18:18

Thanks I have just been re-testing again and playing around with settings, …Thanks I have just been re-testing again and playing around with settings, I have a number of DTS, Atmos & Dolby Demo Discs, I have not tried setting my sub to 100Hz I will try it, presently its set at 150Hz, the dial is already just shy of max, I already set the height speakers to 100Hz, so I shall leave them, if I run Audyssey it sets most of the speakers to -9.5 decibels and the sub to -10 decibels, for some reason I like to change these back to 0, but is that the correct thing to do, I cannot understand why Audyssey set speakers into minus levels, why is this, is it because they are close to my listening position, all my speakers are actually less than 3 meters away as I only have a small room, also if I use the modes Entitled "Pure Direct" & "Direct" it turns everything off, so I really have to crank up the volume, but when using these modes does it mean I am actually listening to the way its actually meant to sound... I must admit I do like the Audyssey setting especially the dynamic volume set to light and reference, but am I missing something by using dynamic volume? if I turn it off, I have to really crank up the volume, but is this better? I also have all dynamic range off and loudness management off. As for surround, at the moment it sounds perfect and really well-balanced surround wise, I can feel the bass whilst sitting in my chair, but on some demos it sounds like the subwoofer will blow up and vibrates the entire room including the furniture LOL... volume wise I set the dial to half-way point... do you think I should knock it down a touch. Also on my blu-ray player I have three options for sounds settings, 48Hz, 96Hz & 192Hz, I have this set at 192Hz, is this better? I have noticed the Amazon Fire 4K stick automatically sets the FS to 192Hz, so I presumed 192Hz is the better setting?Anyhow I am grateful for the advice, I have read numerous forums but everyone gives different opinions, but another question I will ask, do you think when I used all my speakers etc prior to using the Audyssey Mic where everything was set at 80Hz do you think this as damaged my speakers in anyway... I don't think so... they still sound great, even though I have had them around 6 years, but does going to a much lower crossover harm the speakers? PS: I have all my speakers set to small because they are small but in the manual it says the surrounds are full-range does this mean I should set them to large? even though they are physically small lol ?Thanks Again.

Just saw your edit. Leave the speakers on small. Large is for floorstanding speakers. My auto calibration sets mine to large too. I swear it’s trying to damage them.
Biddy212/08/2019 18:46

You have the urge to crack them back to 0db because we’re taught through s …You have the urge to crack them back to 0db because we’re taught through school that “-” is a negative so your mind is telling you it must be bad. I went through the same thing years ago. You’ll get past it in time once you get used to it. In reality, it’ll just be because you have a small room and Audyssey is acknowledging that. The bigger the room, the higher those values will increase. Pure Direct is turning off all sound processing via the receiver. Direct turns off any processing but should allow you to use things like dynamic volume. Those settings allow you to hear everything as the director intended. You don’t have to use these though. If you prefer the receiver doing some processing to give it more oomph, then use those. You can use dynamic volume. It’s fine. The reason you have to turn it up when it’s off is because films are generally mastered to play at 80db in a cinema. Now, with the setting off, you’ll have to crank it all the way up to get the best out of it. In reality, this isn’t feasible unless you live in a house in the middle of nowhere with no neighbours and you have it set up in a very large room or don’t mind going deaf. Dynamic volume corrects it so it’ll be perfectly fine. (On mine, it tames the bass but you have a loudness management setting so that will be for taming your bass. Don’t use that. Why these manufacturers cannot decide on universal terms, I’ll never know. )If it feels too much, knock the sub volume back a little. If it’s on hard flooring though, try putting something under it as that can stop it shaking furniture too without having the volume turned down. You don’t need to do this with carpet mind. 192hz most definitely on your blu ray player. Allows for more detail. They say it can, but it’s rare. You’d know if they were damaged. A lot of people will tell you to use 80hz but it’s too low even if your speakers can reach it. It’s ok to use on big floorstanding speakers but not really on bookshelf speakers unless you're spending thousands. 100-120hz is usually the perfect range.

That's so true about the urge to set them back to 0db, I just feel I must do it lol, we are taught certain things it's like I took one of my friends to a museum once he could not understand why I was so insistent of reading the info on the museum pieces, art etc, then the next time we went to another museum, he had a go at me, saying look mate, why do you read everything, I'll tell it's because you were conditioned to do so as a kid, but me mate, I can't be rsed and I really don't fancy stopping in this museum all day whilst you read about everything you see, come on let's get a move on and go for a pint instead lol

Anyhow once again, thanks for all your input I so appreciate it, thank you have a great night
lettherebedeals12/08/2019 19:13

That's so true about the urge to set them back to 0db, I just feel I must …That's so true about the urge to set them back to 0db, I just feel I must do it lol, we are taught certain things it's like I took one of my friends to a museum once he could not understand why I was so insistent of reading the info on the museum pieces, art etc, then the next time we went to another museum, he had a go at me, saying look mate, why do you read everything, I'll tell it's because you were conditioned to do so as a kid, but me mate, I can't be rsed and I really don't fancy stopping in this museum all day whilst you read about everything you see, come on let's get a move on and go for a pint instead lol Anyhow once again, thanks for all your input I so appreciate it, thank you have a great night

Just like how you read all the info boards at the zoo but you already know what animal you’re looking at.

No worries. Happy to help.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants