Denon m40DAB cd skipping

Posted 3rd May
Hi folks,I have one of those litle Denon systems with a cd player,it has started to skip when a cd is playing,could anyone tell me what product to use to clean it?
I have heard of cleaning discs or should I try and take the top off and use some type of alcohol to clean the lens with a cotton bud?If anyone knows any particular products that I can try with links that would be great if possible.
I must admit I'm annoyed as it's only been used for an hour each night for the last 3 years
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

6 Comments
Depending on if you have pets, carpets, live near a busy road, have done renovations in the house, have a building site nearby, smoke, etc etc the lenses can get dirty.
Assuming you’ve tried various discs, buy a CD cleaner. They have a small brush on them that swipes the lens as it plays the cleaner disc.
Wouldn’t suggest opening the drive. Depending on its design you may have to disturb the tracking mechanism to see the lens and cause more problems.
Oneday7703/05/2020 19:14

Depending on if you have pets, carpets, live near a busy road, have done …Depending on if you have pets, carpets, live near a busy road, have done renovations in the house, have a building site nearby, smoke, etc etc the lenses can get dirty. Assuming you’ve tried various discs, buy a CD cleaner. They have a small brush on them that swipes the lens as it plays the cleaner disc. Wouldn’t suggest opening the drive. Depending on its design you may have to disturb the tracking mechanism to see the lens and cause more problems.

Thanks I have tried loads of discs,randomly one of them played perfectly last night and I was so surprised,but then when I played it again it was back to the old routine of skipping again.
To be honest I'm not great at fixing things or taking them apart,so I think that advice about the disc is good advice,I can't afford another player,so I hope the cleaner does the trick
I used to work in the workshop for an independent electrical retailer, and we would often clean the lens of cd lasers.
We used to use isopropyl alcohol and a piece of shammy leather.
Sometimes it worked but often it didn’t and the whole laser had to be changed.
MadSkilzYo03/05/2020 19:48

I used to work in the workshop for an independent electrical retailer, and …I used to work in the workshop for an independent electrical retailer, and we would often clean the lens of cd lasers. We used to use isopropyl alcohol and a piece of shammy leather. Sometimes it worked but often it didn’t and the whole laser had to be changed.

Hi thanks,I might end up trying that as I'm not sure that the disc cleaner will work,having read some forums it may just say error or something like that and not play the disc as it possibly wont recognise it
Tosspot103/05/2020 20:43

Hi thanks,I might end up trying that as I'm not sure that the disc cleaner …Hi thanks,I might end up trying that as I'm not sure that the disc cleaner will work,having read some forums it may just say error or something like that and not play the disc as it possibly wont recognise it

Worst case, or so I've been told, with a disc cleaner is the brush busts the laser diode off. I have used one on a music centre that was difficult to get apart,where it worked and tried on another cheap player that was too dirty to spin the cleaning disc up, but I prefer to use a cotton bud and pure isopropyl alcohol.
Edited by: "melted" 4th May
It`s probably just exercising during lockdown
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions