Dental care in the UK -Getting out of hand?

Found 12th Jan
Im sure its not just me that very annoyed with how dental care is handled in the UK. These days its difficult enough to find an NHS dentist, but if you do, they wont do much work. As I found out, need a root canal but I cant be reffered to the dental hospital because they have too many apllications, only option is tooth removal or private dentist, costing £500+. Im not saying I want anything for free, but its treatment within NHS bounds.

I was told by the dentist its unfortunate you live in this city as the nearby one does do them, so you can move there. How about I dont pay my taxes because I'm already too stretched? We have to pay them regardless and get less and less in return.

Rant over.

Just want to know what other peoples thoughts are and if they have had similar experiences.
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
postcode lottery like schools have been for years.
and if you do have a dentist they usually end up doing more harm than good.
49 Comments
postcode lottery like schools have been for years.
and if you do have a dentist they usually end up doing more harm than good.
My dentist is nowhere near where i live. Why not just change dentist rather than move house?
you obviously need more than just a basic root canal. Surely you can be referred to a different hospital...
CoeK6 m ago

My dentist is nowhere near where i live. Why not just change dentist …My dentist is nowhere near where i live. Why not just change dentist rather than move house?

Wasn't sure how it worked. May give it a try.
I abandoned nhs dentist for private husband and wife team.. Brilliant... Yes you pay more but the cost isn't that bad and after they put everything right I've only paid for checkup and clean in the last 8 years. Lost teeth that could have been saved had I not persisted with NHS.. Jmo
master101 m ago

Wasn't sure how it worked. May give it a try.

I'm not sure how it will work for you, the rules in Scotland and England can be different with these kinds of things. I'm in Scotland.
Azztec20 m ago

postcode lottery like schools have been for years.and if you do have a …postcode lottery like schools have been for years.and if you do have a dentist they usually end up doing more harm than good.

Well that's the problem I have. I had a root canal on the same tooth ten years ago. Never had an issue with it, went back to the dentist earlier this year and he decided it needed a bit of a filling. A week later gums swollen, very strong pain and was unable to eat on that side. Now I have to have another root canal.
chocci3 m ago

you obviously need more than just a basic root canal. Surely you can be …you obviously need more than just a basic root canal. Surely you can be referred to a different hospital...

Well its a re-root canal on the same tooth, as apparently it is infected again. They are also apparently unable to refer to other practices, they have to be in the area?
Richard_Richard2 m ago

My NHS dentist messed up my root canal, the tooth lasted a few months then …My NHS dentist messed up my root canal, the tooth lasted a few months then started to break up. He drilled it out too much apparently. If you value your teeth then go private, if not buy a pair of pliers and save the step in between NHS work and extraction yourself.

What is the difference between NHS and private? My dentist does both, does that mean she breaks out the victorian era tools for the NHS patients?

In my experience of dentists I've always had a better time of it with younger dentists.
master1018 m ago

Well that's the problem I have. I had a root canal on the same tooth ten …Well that's the problem I have. I had a root canal on the same tooth ten years ago. Never had an issue with it, went back to the dentist earlier this year and he decided it needed a bit of a filling. A week later gums swollen, very strong pain and was unable to eat on that side. Now I have to have another root canal.

I'm in the same boat but with two teeth, one is an old root canal and one is a new problem one, NHS dentist says both are too complicated so have been referred to private. Hopefully looking at a grand but no guarantee the teeth will be ok. I'm sure NHS dentists want the cushy jobs and refer any harder ones.
Richard_Richard6 m ago

Level of care and attention to what they are doing in my experience, the …Level of care and attention to what they are doing in my experience, the guy who botched mine couldn't have cared less, sliced open my gum for good measure too so that was nice.Probably just a one off, but it did sour my experience of NHS dentists, maybe he was just thinking of what he was going to have for dinner at the time.

Sounds bad, i hate the dentist and dodged it for years til i got bad toothache and moved to a new one for the work to be done. Youngish indian woman and the experience was brilliant.

The fact she was very attractive did make me want to be a brave boy too
Dentists charges are outrageous.
Need better regulation and forced to do (considerably more) NHS work.
I just had root canal on a tooth on Wednesday with my normal dentist.
Need to go back next week due a follow up and it will be £56/£58 can't remember exactly but that's for the check up aswell.
Fingers crossed he did a good job lol
I thought it was the same at every dentist.
Report them to the NHS. They’re breaking their contract. citizensadvice.org.uk/hea…ts/

“Your dentist must not press you into having treatment privately if it's available on the NHS, and they should explain all of your options and the costs to you before they start your treatment.“

NHS Complaints procedure.

They’ve been running this little scam for years because people don’t usually act on it or are too afraid for fear of losing the tooth, or in too much pain, to fight it. There is no lottery, your dentist is just wanting more money than he’d get by you using NHS treatment. Report them.
Biddy214 m ago

Report them to the NHS. They’re breaking their contract. h …Report them to the NHS. They’re breaking their contract. https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/health/nhs-and-social-care-complaints/nhs-complaints-who-is-your-complaint-against/nhs-dentist-complaints/“Your dentist must not press you into having treatment privately if it's available on the NHS, and they should explain all of your options and the costs to you before they start your treatment.“NHS Complaints procedure.They’ve been running this little scam for years because people don’t usually act on it or are too afraid for fear of losing the tooth, or in too much pain, to fight it. There is no lottery, your dentist is just wanting more money than he’d get by you using NHS treatment. Report them.

As an alternative to what some may view as a toothless regulator ( ) disgruntled dental patients can approach the GDC.
Edited by: "Saturn" 12th Jan
Saturn4 m ago

As an alternative to what some may view as a toothless regulator ( ) …As an alternative to what some may view as a toothless regulator ( ) disgruntled dental patients can approach the GDC.

That was almost as bad as the jokes my Google Home Mini tells, Saturn.

Yet I still ask it for a joke, every day, in the hope they get better.
My dentist is located at the end of my road - Convenient.

Its an excellent practice and is well run - Reassuring service.

Its also always easy to make appointments.

So I can't agree with you, thanks for your moaning though, it brightened up my day.
Biddy223 m ago

That was almost as bad as the jokes my Google Home Mini tells, Saturn. That was almost as bad as the jokes my Google Home Mini tells, Saturn. Yet I still ask it for a joke, every day, in the hope they get better.

I have sought the advice of a friend in dentistry, and he suggests that you build a bridge, and get over it.

33046950-CEOnl.jpg
I have been with my dentist for years, then he went private and I stayed with him - i don't earn much money at all but would never quibble about paying for dental treatment.
Saturn8 m ago

I have sought the advice of a friend in dentistry, and he suggests that …I have sought the advice of a friend in dentistry, and he suggests that you build a bridge, and get over it. [Image]

I’ve been to the dentist many times, Saturn.I know the drill.

33047014-0L26B.jpg

davewave2 h, 57 m ago

My dentist is located at the end of my road - Convenient.Its an excellent …My dentist is located at the end of my road - Convenient.Its an excellent practice and is well run - Reassuring service. Its also always easy to make appointments.So I can't agree with you, thanks for your moaning though, it brightened up my day.

No doubt many people are happy with the service. But many people are also not, we pay taxes (assuming working) so we should recieve the same standards. We as taxpayers also have to pay for treatment although we have paid taxes whereas those on low income do not have to pay a penny. Ive nothing against helping others out, but wheres the fair deal in that?

The harder you work, the harder you get shafted.
Edited by: "master10" 12th Jan
My NHS dentist is excellent
X-rays and a clean last week for 20.60

and if I haven't mentioned before....

very nice legs
33048298-nP9ag.jpg
master1012 m ago

No doubt many people are happy with the service. But many people are also …No doubt many people are happy with the service. But many people are also not, we pay taxes (assuming working) so we should recieve the same standards. We as taxpayers also have to pay for treatment although we have paid taxes whereas those on low income do not have to pay a penny. Ive nothing against helping others out, but wheres the fair deal in that?The harder you work, the harder you get shafted.

Thats right across the board ironically. Dentists. Doctors prescriptions. Opticians etc etc. Double taxation is what it is for the hard working taxpayer. Its like having your own business and then being handed a bill when u use something there while the wasters can have what they want
Don't most NHS dentists also do private work?

My mum developed an allergy to the fillings they had, the NHS refused to do anything about it (they were done on the NHS a long time ago). The dentist did it privately for free!
I'm in the 35 to 40 bracket and I've never had any dental work, I find it kind of strange, I've never been careful or a health freak, the dentist has just cleaned them from time to time and been pleased they are all fine.

What the hell is wrong with you guys that you get stuff all the time like fillings and abcesses and stuff i find it all very odd.
My family all got fillings and things, but me nope. I don't get it.
After years of what we thought was a great dentist and having some issues moved practices and it’s like a different world, difference in care is unbelievable but you never know until you move. in our area there are no issues gett8ng a nhs dentist.

i has problem with a root canal original dentist said it needed private work which it did no nhs dentist have the equipment to take out the old filing. Seen the private dentist twice now and had the original silver point filing removed and never felt a thing, original dentist who filed the tooth next to that one I was in agony and lost the tooth in the end private guy says he could have saved it. Original dentist said it would be about £1500 to fix the tooth but he could manage it as a normal patient cost a fortune over the years and to make matters worse private treatment is £600 expensive yes but cheaper than the alternative which is tooth out and two implants.

Big annoyance is the original silverpoint filing was done on the nhs and now they can’t fix it
I still have all of my baby teeth
deeky12 m ago

[Image]

Your just jealous cos your be getting a card from the Queen this year.
I miss the hukd tooth doctor.

Why did she leave us :(((
Segata-Sanshiro1 h, 47 m ago

I'm in the 35 to 40 bracket and I've never had any dental work, I find it …I'm in the 35 to 40 bracket and I've never had any dental work, I find it kind of strange, I've never been careful or a health freak, the dentist has just cleaned them from time to time and been pleased they are all fine.What the hell is wrong with you guys that you get stuff all the time like fillings and abcesses and stuff i find it all very odd.My family all got fillings and things, but me nope. I don't get it.

Agree really had fillings as a kid but nothing as an adult(28-31 bracket
Tru Dat(awaits FP link)
you never know ? @Teeth_Extractor
Edited by: "Wongy110" 12th Jan
All NHS dentistry is terrible. I'm on sick pay (and I genuinely need it) and they still want to charge something like £60 for a small white filling.
I can barely afford food never mind paying for that and the only other choice is to have mercury amalgam put in your head. I'm shocked that they still offer amalgam fillings, most of Europe has banned them due to noticible drops in IQ of people who get them.
I know for people paying full price for dentistry in the UK £60 seems like nothing but composite ('white') fillings actually cost roughly the same as amalgam, they take slightly more time to put in however dentists don't have to go to the work of making undercuts and such with composite. Amalgam fillings have to be fitted in almost like wood joints (think of a dovetail joint but much more complex as it's in your tooth) as they're held in by the undercuts and not glue. Composite fillings actually stick to the teeth, meaning you don't have to make undercuts and join the filling in.

The actual price difference between amalgam and composite is negligible, often they actually cost less than amalgam; however dentists get paid commission for getting composite fillings put in so they charge a massive premium on composite fillings.

My mother is in the position of a lot of you and has had to go to dental schools and such to get work done as she simply couldn't afford the astounding prices 'normal' NHS dentists charge and more and more good dentists are going private now. Both me, my mother and my grandmother lost a dentist who was essentially our family dentist as he went private.

First dental checkup with the new dentist I get I have I'm told I need 5 fillings. The previous dentist would always show me where the problem was on the xray (these were the raw xrays slapped up on a board, no more than three inches across) and you could always see a shadow where the decay was. The new guy got the digital copies, enlarged them about 10x and pointed to the slightest bit of decay and said it needed filled, despite it not actually going through the enamel of the tooth. The previous guy was very conservative when it came to any fillings and often resorted to using his dental sandblaster (also known as air abrasion) which is a much better method of removing decay (which is much softer than the enamel around it) by firing pressurised air and aluminium oxide (the 'sand') at the decaying area, thus removing the decay without the need for fillings. When I asked about this I was told that it would be effective on three, maybe four of the five teeth he wished to drill and fill but would cost £100 per tooth. The last guy did it for free. As well as that, no scaling, no fissure sealing and nothing other than an X-ray and the drill.
I'm genuinely considering changing dentists as despite a huge phobia surrounding being in the supine position with medical staff around me (very specific I know; when I was 17 I got hit by a car, did massive damage to my knee though while waiting I repeatedly told medical staff I was feeling sick while strapped to a spinal board and rather than give me anti sickness meds they told me to stop whining (this same hospital did huge amounts of damage by trying to get me to walk on that shattered knee as they had X-rayed my right knee twice, it took them 18 hours to notice, during which they tried to make me walk) and when I was about to be sick I begged them to tilt the board, instead I was held down by a porter and a nurse while I choked on my own vomit until a doctor realised they were essentially dry drowning me and took control of the situation. Ever since I've been terrified of being on my back with medical staff nearby) yet this dental practice doesn't offer gas and air and the new dentist doesn't seem to care, meaning I usually have to get either a doctor's prescription of diazepam or a family member to give me one or two before going to the dentist.

Dentistry is a shambles right now and the rest of the NHS is following, with one month wait times for GPs (I remember when waiting a week to see your GP was seen as excessive), being told they don't have resistance banding in physio (essentially rubber band designed to make physio exercises more difficult) and that "tying a plastic bag around your ankle and sticking a bag of sugar in it should have the same effect" as well as doctors who genuinely don't know what they're doing. I'm no doctor, I've not done the 7 years of training though I'm a trained first responder (Typical first aid, CPR, AED, and the usual other training; nothing like an EMT but still; not a layman) and I follow medicine with true passion. Two years ago it took my mother to go to the GP on behalf of her mother with an *internet diagnosis* on why my grandmother was getting such bad (but such specific) neck pain and lo and behold she was right; the GP had simply written it off as old age and given her a drug that's 100 times stronger than morphine for the pain. As well as that the GPs in my surgery don't seem to communicate with the rest of the staff anymore. They just stick it on the computer and leave.

TL:DR
It's not just dentists, the whole NHS is in a shambles. Dentists can just charge through the nose while things fall apart around them. The rest just don't really bother with their jobs.
Wongy1105 h, 28 m ago

My NHS dentist is excellentX-rays and a clean last week for 20.60and if I …My NHS dentist is excellentX-rays and a clean last week for 20.60and if I haven't mentioned before....very nice legs[Image]

33051017-W6bTX.jpg
airfix3 m ago

[Image]

Really ! ffs
Wongy1105 h, 39 m ago

My NHS dentist is excellentX-rays and a clean last week for 20.60and if I …My NHS dentist is excellentX-rays and a clean last week for 20.60and if I haven't mentioned before....very nice legs[Image]

crikey I pay £22 just for my 6 months check up...was told £60 for a dental hygiene clean so am I getting ripped off from NHS I wonder
tryer35 m ago

crikey I pay £22 just for my 6 months check up...was told £60 for a d …crikey I pay £22 just for my 6 months check up...was told £60 for a dental hygiene clean so am I getting ripped off from NHS I wonder

NHS only have 3 bands. A clean is in band 1 costing £20.60 second is fillings, root canals etc costing around £55 and final band is around £250 for crowns etc. Also if its within a two month period you only pay the cost once. So a clean and filling for example would only cost £55 as it includes the £20.60.
tryer39 m ago

crikey I pay £22 just for my 6 months check up...was told £60 for a d …crikey I pay £22 just for my 6 months check up...was told £60 for a dental hygiene clean so am I getting ripped off from NHS I wonder

More likely from your dentist. From what I've seen the NHS make the guidelines. Whether or not the dentist wants to keep within those or simply charge huge prices is up to them.

If you're really annoyed at the prices ask for a full invoice and see if you can get a second opinion of another dentist. If it seems your dentist is trying to BS you into paying a fortune for his/her work and other dentists would do the same for significantly less simply refuse to pay; if they are rip off artists I doubt they will want to get solicitors involved in the off chance you go to a paper/other media outlet and ruin their public image.
Find a good private dentist, get the job done quicker than a NHS dentist and of a higher standard too. Yes it will cost you, or cost you a lot more. But its worth it.

I honestly wouldn't go to a NHS dentist even if they paid me. Health isn't about the money.

My private dentist is amazing. Doesn't feel or smell like a dentist, more like a office, every single item is hidden in drawers too. And the level of care is out of this world compared to bodge job NHS detists (in my opinion).
4 dentists local to me .. Not one of them have taken nhs for the 3 years I have lived here . So to access an nhs dentist it's a 40 mile round trip and it's an emergency only service ran by nhs .
airfix12 h, 14 m ago

I'm in the same boat but with two teeth, one is an old root canal and one …I'm in the same boat but with two teeth, one is an old root canal and one is a new problem one, NHS dentist says both are too complicated so have been referred to private. Hopefully looking at a grand but no guarantee the teeth will be ok. I'm sure NHS dentists want the cushy jobs and refer any harder ones.

Get em pulled out save cash and the heartach
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants