descaling washing machines

9 replies
Found 16th Mar
How often should you descale a washing machine ?

9 Comments

Soda crystals in the drum. Half a bag. Run empty on hot wash. Bleach in final rinse draw gets bacteria and smells.

In my experience descaling is not the issue so much as the sludge and mould that forms from low temperature washes.

Scale is most likely to build on the heating element. Personally, I would not use bleach as I would worry it would rot seals. A bottle of white vinegar once a month in a hot wash will help reduce scale and smells but not eliminate it.

Some people swear by vinegar instead of fabric conditioner.

You can buy those tablets which claim to eliminate scale but if you add up the cost of those over a few years its cheaper to buy a new machine.

dishwasher tablet in the drum on 90 degree wash once every month or so. Sorts out smells and sludge.

I have never descaled a washing machine in my life and I've owned a fair few
Edited by: "psychobitchfromhell" 16th Mar

Done our last machine twice in 14 years. We are in a hard area but not the worst.. Be careful what you use with a plastic drum though

I've dismantled numerous washing machines amd dishwashers over the years, some over 15 years old, as paul123edwards said its mould and soap scum that's the problem, found very little limescale. White vinegar helps and can be used as a fabric softener. I live on the oxon/bucks border in a hard water area, never had an issue with limescale other than bud up on taps etc and never even used vinegar. A mate in Watford decided to put his parents washing machine on a boil wash to clean it, the limescale came loose and clogged that machine.
Calgon etc are just an excuse to spend money IMHO.

psychobitchfromhell

I have never descaled a washing machine in my life and I've owned a fair … I have never descaled a washing machine in my life and I've owned a fair few

Might explain why you have had a fair few then

I use the soda crystal method every 6 months and my machine is 16 years old now and I live in a hard water area

To avoid black sludge, use powder for whites as they have bleaching agents in it and clean far better than liquids. Avoid expensive liquitabs and tablets.
Edited by: "chocci" 17th Mar

chocci

Might explain why you have had a fair few then ;)I use the soda crystal … Might explain why you have had a fair few then ;)I use the soda crystal method every 6 months and my machine is 16 years old now and I live in a hard water areaTo avoid black sludge, use powder for whites as they have bleaching agents in it and clean far better than liquids. Avoid expensive liquitabs and tablets.

I have had a fair few because I'm extremely old. None of them have died due to limescale, more overuse. What is this black sludge? Sounds foul.

psychobitchfromhell

I have had a fair few because I'm extremely old. None of them have died … I have had a fair few because I'm extremely old. None of them have died due to limescale, more overuse. What is this black sludge? Sounds foul.

Accumulated bacteria in the pipework. Liquid detergents and low temperature washes are the main cause. I assume you use powder and the occasional hot wash.....

Leave your washing machine door open too and wipe the seal dry

whitegoodshelp.co.uk/cau…es/

whitegoodshelp.co.uk/cau…es/
Edited by: "chocci" 17th Mar
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. US GrandPrix Razzmatazz11
    2. Without giving away your age, name three things that remind you of when you…53116
    3. HUKD Satellite Information & IPTV Thread48911003
    4. Did you know?3159

See more discussions