Desk top computer

Posted 10th AugEdited by:"mumu"
I am planning to buy a desktop computer( New Vs Refurbished). I have an old computer windows vista which still works, but very slow. Time to wrap it up . Can anyone suggest what to look out for before buying one please. The computer is used for basic day to day purpose. I would like to do some video editing as well (not too expensive).
Thanks
Community Updates
Ask
12 Comments
Find out first what video editing software you intend using.
Then determine the hardware spec the software recommends or finds ideal.
Then add a bit for future proofing. For example if it says 4GB of RAM is sufficient go for a system with 8GB.
You should then have a hardware spec, but just check out any other demanding software you intend using to determine if their spec is better.
Once you have a spec, you then have the hard work of browsing around.
Remember some of your old peripherals may not work with your new system.
And of course you may want to upgrade your monitor by now also.

Whilst you are figuring every thing out, your existing set-up will be capable of running Linux, so why not download Linux Mint or Ubuntu and just give it a try without installing. You should be able to try out the free video editing software that is around also.
itsfoss.com/bes…ux/
Depends entirely on your budget.
2 That ive found which look 'ok'

edit: i cant post the exact ones because they are ebuyer.

but look at the Xenta MT Ryzen 5 and Core i5 ones for around the £300-350 mark
Why not put some extra Ram, an SSD and a clean windows install on your old PC, could always install a new GPU to help with the video editing.
Uridium10/08/2020 13:45

Why not put some extra Ram, an SSD and a clean windows install on your old …Why not put some extra Ram, an SSD and a clean windows install on your old PC, could always install a new GPU to help with the video editing.

''I have an old computer windows vista''
I_Wish10/08/2020 16:39

''I have an old computer windows vista''

Not sure what you are trying to say?

My point stands. Just because it's running Vista it doesn't mean it won't run a fresh Win10 install with some hardware upgrades
Uridium10/08/2020 18:39

Not sure what you are trying to say?My point stands. Just because it's …Not sure what you are trying to say?My point stands. Just because it's running Vista it doesn't mean it won't run a fresh Win10 install with some hardware upgrades

Means that it will be using old hardware. You really want to put DDR2 RAM in an old machine?? Upgrade the CPU prehaps? like an Q9550?? see what I'm saying? No point. Just buy a refurbished/new PC.
Edited by: "I_Wish" 10th Aug
I_Wish10/08/2020 18:45

Means that it will be using old hardware. You really want to put DDR2 RAM …Means that it will be using old hardware. You really want to put DDR2 RAM in an old machine?? Upgrade the CPU prehaps? like an Q9550?? see what I'm saying? No point. Just buy a refurnished/new PC.

We don't know what the cpu is...it might be perfectly good and the slowness is down to vista running on an slow spindle.

@OP if you let us know the spec of the current pc it would give a good idea whether it's worth trying to upgrade or just replace the pc
Hi guys thanks for info, my Dell was bought in 2006, I am not a computer geek, can you advise how to look up for the spec.
mumu11/08/2020 09:25

Hi guys thanks for info, my Dell was bought in 2006, I am not a computer …Hi guys thanks for info, my Dell was bought in 2006, I am not a computer geek, can you advise how to look up for the spec.

You're better off with a new one.
A new one will be way more power efficient too.

like @118luke said a Ryzen 5 build from eBuyer it's £300 with no OS but you can find a cheap copy of Windows 10 on eBay and make an USB installer from Microsoft.

Ryzen 5, 8GB RAM and a 240GB SSD, you won't believe how fast that will feel compared to a 2006 Dell.
mumu11/08/2020 12:15

What is your suggestion on …What is your suggestion on thishttps://www.amazon.co.uk/Dell-OptiPlex-i5-2400-Windows-Computer/dp/B07MJRL3V6/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=8GB+RAM+and+a+240GB+SSD,&qid=1597144503&s=computers&sr=1-3

Buy something with USB 3.0 i.e 3rd Gen upwards.
Post a comment
@
    Text