Desktop case fan very loud

Found 18th Mar
Hi

I got a very good deal from amazon for a desktop pc but the back fan built into the case is v v noisy. I have asked for a refund but thought I would ask whether it is a simple fix as I might negotiate a discount and keep it if so

Thanks
Community Updates
Ask
14 Comments
Do you mean is it hard to replace a PC fan ? I guess it depends on if the fan is generic and if you have any mobility issues.
I wonder of the fan is faulty or if it not aligned properly
Fans are easy to replace.
If you have fingers, can manipulate a screw driver and can see to the end of your arms. Then you should be fine.
A sensible replacement will cost £10-£20.

If you’d only problem is noise, then go for the discount. Don’t ask for a value, see what they offer. You can still return afterwards.
Oneday7757 m ago

If you have fingers, can manipulate a screw driver and can see to the end …If you have fingers, can manipulate a screw driver and can see to the end of your arms. Then you should be fine. A sensible replacement will cost £10-£20. If you’d only problem is noise, then go for the discount. Don’t ask for a value, see what they offer. You can still return afterwards.

Hi

Thank you all for the responses. I got a 20% discount which makes me quids in as it was already super cheap.
Borgia111 m ago

Hi Thank you all for the responses. I got a 20% discount which makes me …Hi Thank you all for the responses. I got a 20% discount which makes me quids in as it was already super cheap.

Although having previously had a second hand pc that the seller lovely built, my god these mass produced PCs are shit
stand alone fan - or is it the fan in the psu?
Stand alone fan that is built into the case
mas991 m ago

stand alone fan - or is it the fan in the psu?

Borgia15 m ago

In that case dead easy to replace.

Have you checked that it is that fan making the noise?
mas997 m ago

In that case dead easy to replace.Have you checked that it is that fan …In that case dead easy to replace.Have you checked that it is that fan making the noise?

It appears to be coming from the fan. Is there a way to be certain? What else should I be looking for ? Thank you
mas998 m ago

In that case dead easy to replace.Have you checked that it is that fan …In that case dead easy to replace.Have you checked that it is that fan making the noise?

We originally thought that the fan was not fitted into the case correctly
Borgia114 h, 50 m ago

What do you mean by 'built in'? Most case fans are seperate units with a screw through each corner to attach them to a case vent and a lead going to the motherboard (or power supply). If it's more complicated than that then it may not be replacable.
Edited by: "EndlessWaves" 19th Mar
EndlessWaves12 m ago

What do you mean by 'built in'? Most case fans are seperate units with a …What do you mean by 'built in'? Most case fans are seperate units with a screw through each corner to attack them to a case vent and a lead going to the motherboard (or power supply). If it's more complicated than that then it may not be replacable.

As above but if it is truly built into the case you should be able to unplug the power from it at least and mount another fan elsewhere if that one can’t be removed.
Borgia12 h, 42 m ago

It appears to be coming from the fan. Is there a way to be certain? What …It appears to be coming from the fan. Is there a way to be certain? What else should I be looking for ? Thank you

Easy to check. Unplug the fan, power PC up and check for noise. Once it’s confirmed source a replacement. Checking size first, also worth investigating a bigger fan if possible while you’re at it. Odds on a 120mm will be in it, sometimes a 140 will also fit depending on case fixing points.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions