Groups
    EXPIRED

Desktop computer needed - lost touch with the market

Need some help please - I used to understand computers - even built a few in my time - but over the last 3 years or so have really lost touch with whats what and now I am finding the market really confusing.
    I want:
    Base only - decent processor, prob 3 GB Ram, 250 Gig HDD, DVD DVDrw, decent-ish sound card - poss a decent soundblaster that I can record my guitar with?...
    Not too worried about a graphic card but something reasonable that wont slow things down ... Vista home premium. current computer has a front accesible card reader and connections that is really handy - so one of them would be nice...
    hmmm think that about covers it. Dont really do much other than some guitar recording - playing music - lots of internet time... bit of word processing/office work etc - thinking of a bit of video editing - nothing complicated - also needs to run fireworks/dreamweaver.

suggestions will be considered.
    Thanks for reading

6 Comments

One coming up @ ]Aldi

What's your budget?

Original Poster

I saw the Aldi one - I actually already have an Aldi Medion one that has been "problematic" since I had it just over 3 years ago - the helpdesk were helpful - an engineer came out - replace loads of parts but still every so often, sometimes maybe weeks apart it would just freeze up and refuse to re-start - I could not be bothered to keep phoning them in the end as it was very very intermittant and I learned to live with it (seems it was a problem with them as a big section of how to sort it out on the website) but even though that has been a pain, the computer has been fairly good otherwise, until now, - the damned thing keeps freezing - re-starting... playing up in general - one of the HDD has had it - and I think the other is on the way out is what I believe is the problem - anyway enough of that - I dont have a problem with buying the Aldi one but I thought it was a bit overpriced at £469.. I think I payed £745 for my last one though...lol
    anyway, I was hoping to spend £350 max...what do you think? - I have even toyed with "upgrading" the one I have, cant make my mind up what to do really.
    I kind of like the idea of starting with a fresh new one with Vista (though I am not sure about vista?)
    If I upgraded - presumeably I need a new MB, processer, sound card, HDD - which is probably all really....but which ones...would they fit in this case.????...

Banned

saw this in the paper today, not very suitable for back to school, with a quad core you'd playing games not doing homework :roll:

there is a dell one on tesco at mo originally listed on here, see this link: hotukdeals.com/ite…jus

Ps: dont forget quidco...

Original Poster

I've bought the Tesco one - being delivered to the store tomorrow - paid £284 - got double club card points (598) and went through quidco - not showing as tracked there yet though.
    seems a bargain to me - thanks Francodevil for reminding me about that one - I nearly bought it a few weeks ago when first posted but had forgotten about that one.

fretdancer;2661644

I've bought the Tesco one - being delivered to the store tomorrow - paid … I've bought the Tesco one - being delivered to the store tomorrow - paid £284 - got double club card points (598) and went through quidco - not showing as tracked there yet though.seems a bagain to me - thanks Francodevil for reminding me about that one - I nearly bought it a few weeks ago when first posted but had forgotten about that one.

no worries mate glad i could help:thumbsup:
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Why do my deal votes go up or down by 2° on each vote?44
      2. Cordial....11
      3. Hi Wonder if anyone can help...I urgently need to buy a laptop today , up t…23
      4. Family Spotify account32

See more discussions