Groups
    EXPIRED

Desktop Hard Drive help pls

Hi basically take a look below thanks

15 Comments

Original Poster

I have an external hard drive which ive taken out the actual hard drive and now the connections are different in my computer.

Heres the hard drive that i wana put in.

https://www-304.ibm.com/systems/support/supportsite.wss/sata2.jpg

Original Poster

It has those connections but my computer is a dell dimension 8300 and is ultra sata i think from what ive read.

Btw its a 500gb ,7200rpm, seagate

As long as you can physically plug the drive in, it'll work okay. It should be all standard equipment inside the Dell, so as long as it fits, it'll work.

Original Poster

Nope it dont connect to my computer as my pc has different connections inside. Is there some sort of converter.

Thanks

MarzBarz;3950341

Nope it dont connect to my computer as my pc has different connections … Nope it dont connect to my computer as my pc has different connections inside. Is there some sort of converter.Thanks

Search Sata to IDE, or vice versa.

Original Poster

This is the current hard drive i have in my computer IDE Ultra ATA

Original Poster

deathtrap3000;3950354

Search Sata to IDE, or vice versa.

thanks will do

havent u just left the overhang on?? have a look closely usually on external hard-drives there is an additional piece that fits onto the connections to allow the backplate of the external caddy to connect to it

oh right yea you have a UATA drive which is a much wider cable than a sata connection

UATA to sata convertors are available

Original Poster

http://imgs.inkfrog.com/pix/guxianting/C-156.jpg

This should be okay right

MarzBarz;3950531

This should be okay right

looks like it will do the job.

Original Poster

thanks guys repped

if you have taken the hard drive OUT of your EXTERNAL case then dont expect it to last long as i did the same thing with my 500 and got 6months out of it as its not designed to be on all the time and left out of the enclosure

tsar_nate;3950709

if you have taken the hard drive OUT of your EXTERNAL case then dont … if you have taken the hard drive OUT of your EXTERNAL case then dont expect it to last long as i did the same thing with my 500 and got 6months out of it as its not designed to be on all the time and left out of the enclosure

They are only internal drives placed in an enclosure. Its failure wouldnt have been a result of it being on all the time.

deathtrap3000;3950748

They are only internal drives placed in an enclosure. Its failure wouldnt … They are only internal drives placed in an enclosure. Its failure wouldnt have been a result of it being on all the time.

i was told because of the environment they were in they should be kept inside as its also happened to a few mates too must just be unlucky
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. What's the most impressive 4k / UHD film you have seen at home?22
      2. What's the best gas and electric deals about ?77
      3. What to do?????710
      4. Cracked windscreen, is it safe and legal to drive?89

See more discussions