Desktop Help

Edited by:"Cakeboy79"Found 5th Oct 2017
Evening.

My mum needs a new desktop PC and has sought my opinion. I don't know what's worth having in the Windows world as I'm more clued up on Macs. She only wants something to "do the internet" - her words, not mine, some emailing and word processing and spreadsheeting occasionally.

I had a quick look round and found this spec on computer planet.co.uk

• - Black ATX Tower Case
  • - Standard Fans Included With Case
  • - AMD A8 9600 X4 (4 x 3.4 GHz)
  • - AMD Heatsink & Fan
  • - Standard CPU Compound Supplied With Heatsink
  • - 8GB 2133MHz (1x8GB) - Lifetime Warranty (DDR4)
  • - Built & Tested CP
  • - None or Motherboard Integrated Graphics
  • - Corsair 350W PSU - Low Noise
  • - Asus PRIME A320M-K (AMD B320) - 4xUSB3/2xUSB2
  • - Motherboard Integrated 10/100/1000 Ethernet Lan (Broadband Ready)
  • - Motherboard Integrated HD Sound
  • - FREE - 16 GB USB Flash Drive (FREE FOR ALL ORDERS BEFORE 11:59PM ON 05/10/2017)
  • - 1 x 1.8 Metre UK Mains Power Cable

It comes in at £288.45 without monitor etc, but she already has them. Does this look suitable or am I missing something massive.

Thanks

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
7 Comments

Just a thought , but does she really need a desktop ? I may be a lazy bu***er but I have a Laptop (17" screen ) which I use on my coffee table in front of the sofa (never as a portable ) . I think these days you only really need a desktop if you need serious computing , a laptop is far more convenient and can be just as powerful these days . Just a thought

I don't see any storage (SSD/Hard Drive) or operating system in your spec list. The computer won't do much without them.

She wont need anything like that, i`m guessing you could get something for under £150 or much less if you dont mind second hand.

Original Poster

I've copied and pasted the wrong description - see below instead:

• - Black ATX Tower Case
  • - Standard Fans Included With Case
  • - AMD A8 9600 X4 (4 x 3.4 GHz)
  • - AMD Heatsink & Fan
  • - Standard CPU Compound Supplied With Heatsink
  • - 8GB 2133MHz (1x8GB) - Lifetime Warranty (DDR4)
  • - Built & Tested CP
  • - None or Motherboard Integrated Graphics
  • - Corsair 350W PSU - Low Noise
  • - Asus PRIME A320M-K (AMD B320) - 4xUSB3/2xUSB2
  • - Motherboard Integrated 10/100/1000 Ethernet Lan (Broadband Ready)
  • - Motherboard Integrated HD Sound
  • - 1 TB Seagate (1000 GB) SATA-III HDD 7200 RPM 64MB Cache
  • - 24x DVD/CD Re-Writer/Reader
  • - Internal Card Reader 50-in-1 (3.5 Inch Bay)
  • - Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64 BIT (Genuine DVD & COA Included)
  • - FREE - 16 GB USB Flash Drive (FREE FOR ALL ORDERS BEFORE 11:59PM ON 05/10/2017)
  • - 1 x 1.8 Metre UK Mains Power Cable

Price is £422 all in which is similar to prices in Currys etc but considerably less likely to be loaded with bloatware etc

rogparki37 m ago

Just a thought , but does she really need a desktop ? I may be a lazy …Just a thought , but does she really need a desktop ? I may be a lazy bu***er but I have a Laptop (17" screen ) which I use on my coffee table in front of the sofa (never as a portable ) . I think these days you only really need a desktop if you need serious computing , a laptop is far more convenient and can be just as powerful these days . Just a thought

I thought that too Rog, but apparently she wants a desktop. Traditionalist

You're probably paying about £50 more than a hot price (most will be on the similarly performing Pentium G processors) but that's a reasonable price if you're happy with the builder.

The lack of SSD is a shame and obviously it doesn't have wi-fi or bluetooth.

Buy a business-grade laptop with an SSD instead. You'll not pay much, or maybe even anything more, and for her needs, it'll perform an order of magnitude faster than that clunky old box with a creaky old mechanical harddrive.

Original Poster

Thanks guys.

The SSD is something to think about for an extra few quid, especially as she already has an external backup for her photos and suchlike. She definitely does not want a laptop.

WiFi isn’t required as the router sits on the desk where the computer does so there’s no point and she’s already got a wireless keyboard and mouse with a dongle.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions