please can anyone advise that this would be sufficient

Refurbished HP Elite 8200 Desktop PC Core i7 240GB SSD
itzoo.co.uk/col…ssd
appreciate any help thanks
Community Updates
Ask
16 Comments
hello,

photoshop and office are not demanding - the processor is very good / desktop decent value.

BUT the onboard graphics i am not sure will be decent enough (subjectively).

the computer is designed for really fast document processing i think, not for photoshop BUT you might be fine i don't know (it's got a bog standard "laptop graphics" in it - which should be OK for photo editing but "not great" for projecting colourful images to monitors etc).

----------------------

photoshop specs:

Windows
  • Intel® Core 2 or AMD Athlon® 64 processor; 2 GHz or faster processor
  • Microsoft Windows 7

• 2 GB or more of RAM (8 GB recommended)
  • 2.6 GB or more of available hard-disk space
  • 1024 x 768 display (1280x800 recommended) with 16-bit color and 512 MB or more of dedicated VRAM; 2 GB is recommended*
  • OpenGL 2.0-capable system
  • Internet connection and registration are necessary for required software activation, validation of subscriptions, and access to online services.**

----------------

argos ebay do an OK selection if interested:

ebaystores.co.uk/Arg…957

regards
Edited by: "Ban_Anas" 5th Aug
£270 is a lot of money for a 2011-2012 PC with 4GB of memory, even with the SSD.

Photoshop and office are used for a huge range of workloads, so these questions are always difficult to answer. What do you have currently that is struggling with what you want to do?
You’ll want something with a graphics card with at least 2gb (preferably 4gb for future proofing). 8gb ram.
Hi thanks all for your replies , it's mainly going to be used for cropping images in Photoshop 150x 150
For a Wordpress site and general email and office stuff
havinalaugh51 m ago

Hi thanks all for your replies , it's mainly going to be used for …Hi thanks all for your replies , it's mainly going to be used for cropping images in Photoshop 150x 150 For a Wordpress site and general email and office stuff

Photoshop is a high end package, so when you name it specifically the assumption is that you're doing something that the run of the mill imaging editing software can't.

For basic image editing and reading/writing e-mails you definitely don't want an old high end system. You're much better off either saving your money and picking up a mainstream Pentium or i3 for half the price, or buying something more modern.
EndlessWaves6 m ago

Photoshop is a high end package, so when you name it specifically the …Photoshop is a high end package, so when you name it specifically the assumption is that you're doing something that the run of the mill imaging editing software can't.For basic image editing and reading/writing e-mails you definitely don't want an old high end system. You're much better off either saving your money and picking up a mainstream Pentium or i3 for half the price, or buying something more modern.

So something from this selection would be better...?

ebaystores.co.uk/Arg…957
This is the current machine I am using Lenovo think centre E73 but getting slow...maybe because it's3 years old....
The original one I've quoted in my first post , can be got for £243.. WIth a discount code
hello,

it is annoying people suggesting graphics cards that will blow your entire budget / "high end systems" for "future proofing" (no).

if i was you, i would look for a quad core pentium with 4gb (or more) RAM - with windows, in a full size ATX case (i.e. like the one you were looking at, but will take up more room...), with preferably a SSD (not vitally important / can be bought for as little as £25) - AND then buy a graphics card off ebay / elsewhere and install that (you just plug them in and then fix with a screw externally - it's not difficult / instructions on youtube).

- "nvidia gt 710" or "radeon r7" series 2gb should be cheap enough (~£40 new) / then you will be photoshop proof / have HD capabilities.

---------------------

it can take literally hours trying to find a suitable computer for yourself / trawling the internet for other people, but please don't listen to the BUY [ssd / modern graphics / ridiculous memory etc] ...not for ~£250 you don't.

---------------------

the computers for that price range are not going to be a huge improvement on the lenovo e73 also, depending on what you have inside, it may even be comparitive.

- to speed up your lenovo i would give "ccleaner" a try - for free, but make sure to have the "monitoring" disabled as it will slow your computer - just use it for wiping.

(if you have any other "monitoring" or active software (antivirus / spam cleaners etc), they can dramatically slow your computer down.

regards
Ban_Anas7 m ago

hello,it is annoying people suggesting graphics cards that will blow your …hello,it is annoying people suggesting graphics cards that will blow your entire budget / "high end systems" for "future proofing" (no).if i was you, i would look for a quad core pentium with 4gb (or more) RAM - with windows, in a full size ATX case (i.e. like the one you were looking at, but will take up more room...), with preferably a SSD (not vitally important / can be bought for as little as £25) - AND then buy a graphics card off ebay / elsewhere and install that (you just plug them in and then fix with a screw externally - it's not difficult / instructions on youtube).- "nvidia gt 710" or "radeon r7" series 2gb should be cheap enough (~£40 new) / then you will be photoshop proof / have HD capabilities.---------------------it can take literally hours trying to find a suitable computer for yourself / trawling the internet for other people, but please don't listen to the BUY [ssd / modern graphics / ridiculous memory etc] ...not for ~£250 you don't.---------------------the computers for that price range are not going to be a huge improvement on the lenovo e73 also, depending on what you have inside, it may even be comparitive.- to speed up your lenovo i would give "ccleaner" a try - for free, but make sure to have the "monitoring" disabled as it will slow your computer - just use it for wiping.(if you have any other "monitoring" or active software (antivirus / spam cleaners etc), they can dramatically slow your computer down.regards

Think what I'll do is buy that machine I originally quoted and then as you say stick a graphics card in any suggestions ban_Anas on what graphics card to get...? Cheers , much ap
havinalaugh1 h, 26 m ago

This is the current machine I am using Lenovo think centre E73 but getting …This is the current machine I am using Lenovo think centre E73 but getting slow...maybe because it's3 years old....

Your E73 appears to have come with a range of mainstream and high end 4th generation Intel CPUs:
lenovo.com/gb/…73/

It'd be madness to replace it with a similar machine two revisions and four years older like the one in the first post.

Your current machine shouldn't be slow for the tasks you describe. It might be slightly sluggish in general responsiveness if it only has a hard drive and you regularly use machines with SSDs, but the solution to that would be to fit an SSD to it rather than replace it with a worse machine because it has an SSD.

If it's more than slightly sluggish there's something wrong with it, and it'd be cheaper to troubleshoot that than replace it.
You can upgrade your current Lenovo. Upgrade your CPU, add graphic card, and SSD. I wouldn't be looking at buying another PC. What spec is your PC at the moment?
Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 5th Aug
hello,

sorry, the first PC has a low power supply and you may not be able to fit in a graphics card (this is why i suggested getting one in a big case (more power for graphics / room for installation).

if you have a lenovo e73 already - it is "comparitive" to the ones for around ~250 today (you may already have "better graphics" then the HP elite !! (as example).

i would download this software - (the free version) ccleaner.com/ccl…oad

and clean up your lenovo, and then save up for a considerable improvement ?, the longer you wait, the more "tech" you will get for your money.
I'm actually trying to add another machine as well keep as the leveno think E73 , if the first machine I quoted in my first post is not ideal....any recommendations/ suggestions from this lot ?

ebaystores.co.uk/Arg…957

and thanks to to everyone who has been helpful on this post
Why have you got a strict budget for buying a PC when your using software that has an ongoing cost of £120 plus per year to use?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants