Expired

Desktop /Laptop under £500

4 replies
Found 30th Oct 2006
Looking for an excellent value laptop under £500. I would like it to be as good as gaming as possible. (not shared graphics, or integrated).

A friend of mine is also looking for a Desktop PC with the same budget, again as good gaming potential as possible.

(obvisously i know they won't be awesome gaming machines, but bottom of the range!)

Ben

5 Comments

you arent going to get a gaming laptop for less than £500, its gonna cost you maybe £600-700 even to get a low end model. For the desktop i would go to buy the parts seperatly and build yourself, which is what i have done in the past week. i bought all the below from scan for £350:

[LIST]
[*]Asrock 775DUAL-VSTA, VIA PT880, S775, AGP / PCI-Express, DDR/DDR2 400/667, SATA I, SATA RAID, ATX
[*]
[*]Intel Pentium D 820 Socket775 , Smithfield Core, 2x2.8 GHz , 2MB Cache, Retail

[*]250 Gb Maxtor 7V250F0 MaXLine® III, SATA300, 7200 rpm, 16MB Cache, 9.0 ms, NCQ
[*]
[*]Sony AW-G170AB2 Black 18x DVD±RW x12 Ram Dual Layer DVD-Writer OEM
[*]
[*]256MB Gigabyte 7600GS PCI-E(x16), Mem 800MHz, GPU 450MHz, 12Pipes, D-Sub/DVI-I/HDTV SLi Silent-Pipe
[*]
[*]1Gb (2X512Mb) Corsair Value Select, DDR2 PC5300 (667), 240 Pin, Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 5-5-5-1
[/LIST]

all i need now is a case, psu and fan and im ready to go, gonna use it with my 32" telly

Try ]this one from Comet...........

http://www.comet.co.uk/comet/dyn_imgs/prods/prod_large/363286.jpg
[LIST]
[*]Processor speed: 1.6 GHz
[*]Processor: AMD Turion 64 x2 Dual Core
[*]Screen size: 15.4 inches
[*]Storage (hard drive): 120 GB
[*]Memory (RAM): 1024 MB
[*]Shared graphics: 256MB[/LIST]The best for under 500 quid in my opinion.

Don't forget 3.5% Quidco cashback too.

:pirate: CJ :pirate:

biker14

I would like it to be as good as gaming as possible. (not shared … I would like it to be as good as gaming as possible. (not shared graphics, or integrated).

You won't get a dedicated graphics card in a laptop for that price I'm afraid.

For 500 squid you could get a fairly decent laptop (it won't be bottom of the range) with shared graphics. Because of this, you will need to get a fair bit of RAM (as the shared graphics steals its graphics memory from the RAM) so I would go for 1GB. You'll be able to play a lot of games on this kind of laptop, but not with the top graphics settings.

If all you want is a portable gaming maching for 500 quid then go for a PSP or something - which will cost you much less!

Original Poster

ebuyer.com/UK/…683

This one looks good ... Your thoughts...

You're going to have to spend this sort of money for something with a decent graphics performance
pcnextday.co.uk/pro…701
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Incorrect Amazon refunds - how can I make sure they don't owe me any more m…815
    2. I’m in dire need of a dash cam with remote viewing capability over 4G918
    3. Driving anxiety.2734
    4. WANTED tickets for Logic Manchester12

See more discussions