Groups
    EXPIRED

Desktop PC

I'm looking to get a new PC (doesn't have to include a monitor), for normal everyday use i.e browsing the net, word processing etc...nothing too fancy...however, i would prefer if the specs are reasonably high so I do not have to fork out another few hundred quid in a years time...At the moment the best deal i have found is the Dell Inspiron 530 (see below for details)...

Intel® Core 2 Quad-Core Q8200 Processor (2.33GHz, 4MB cache, 1333MHz FSB)
    Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 1, 32-bit - English
    Display Not Included
    256MB ATI® Radeon HD 3450 graphics card
    3072MB 800MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x1024 + 2x512]
    500GB (7200rpm) SATA Hard Drive
    DVD +/- RW Drive (read/write CD & DVD)
    1 Year Limited Warranty - Collect & Return
    i.dell.com/res…200

my budget is £450 btw...can you please give me your thoughts on this product and if there are others with a similar spec that i can get for a cheaper price...

thank you in advance

5 Comments

will you consider 2nd hand?
    would you consider building yourself?

Original Poster

awoodhall2003;4573215

will you consider 2nd hand?would you consider building yourself?

2nd hand is not an option and unfortunately i just don't have the time to build one my self...

>and if there are others with a similar spec that i can get for a cheaper price...

How can we tell you that, you dont seem to have told us what this Dell would cost.

To be honest, if all you are going to do is browse the net and word processing this machine is WAY over spec.

It is like saying you want a car to pop down the shops, and then buying a Porche.

Nothing wrong with buying a PC to try to "future proof" yourself, but to be honest you could buy a PC at half this spec and still get a good performance with what you want to do.

Remember the performance of the web is not affected that much by the power of the PC, more by the speed of your broadband connection.

Original Poster

guilbert53;4573815

and if there are others with a similar spec that i can get for a cheaper … >and if there are others with a similar spec that i can get for a cheaper price...How can we tell you that, you dont seem to have told us what this Dell would cost.To be honest, if all you are going to do is browse the net and word processing this machine is WAY over spec.It is like saying you want a car to pop down the shops, and then buying a Porche.Nothing wrong with buying a PC to try to "future proof" yourself, but to be honest you could buy a PC at half this spec and still get a good performance with what you want to do.Remember the performance of the web is not affected that much by the power of the PC, more by the speed of your broadband connection.

yeah but my kids will be using it also for gaming when we get a decent graphics card...the price of this PC is £429

mc_ragz;4574013

yeah but my kids will be using it also for gaming when we get a decent … yeah but my kids will be using it also for gaming when we get a decent graphics card...the price of this PC is £429

Ah that's different.

Not much knowlegde of gaming, but make sure this PC can take a bigger and better graphics card.

In the past in some Dell PCs it was not very easy to upgrade the graphics card.

Might be worth considering getting a PC made to spec by Novatech or someone like that, should be a lot easier to upgrade the graphics card on a PC made from "standard" components.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. I have 2 spare netflix slots and a spotify share.23
      2. One for the mathmeticians2032
      3. SNES Classic launches 29th September 2017 - Check for stock and pre-order i…4681417
      4. HUKD Nintendo Switch owners thread941351

See more discussions