Groups
    EXPIRED

Desktop PC (<£400)

Hi, could somebody assist me in buying a new desktop PC to replace half-broken, outdated one? Will need for general use + decent media cababilities, i.e. viewing/editing lots of images, good storage + would like to be able to view 1280x720 media with no slowdown (I'm guessing doing the same for 1980x1080 would be out of my price range?). Won't really be used for gaming.

If somebody could tell me what sort of specs would be best suited, or recommend some good deals, it would be much appreciated, (am looking to spend

5 Comments

Even basic PCs with decent graphics cards can view 1920x1080 content in supported formats, any anything mainstream will handle 1280x720 with or without graphics card support.

Assuming you don't need a keyboard and mouse (or don't mind a cheap one) then I'd probably spend £300 on a basic dual-core PC with AMD/ATI 3000 or 4000 graphics or Nvidia 8/9 series and then £200 on the monitor (the Dell 2209WA would be a good choice if you don't mind 1680x1050, or you could get something bigger and cheaper if area is more important). Dell's basic Inspiron 546 would be a good example, although that's slightly too much at £330 at the moment.

Could always build one yourself, just built one with the following

Intel E5200
    Motherboard with HDMI
    4TB Ram
    1TB Hard Disk
    Sata DVD Writer
    Quiet PSU
    mATX Case

Does everything I have thrown at it, connected to my monitor by VGA then HDMI to TV for watching iPlayer etc

coddfather;5304194

Could always build one yourself, just built one with the followingIntel … Could always build one yourself, just built one with the followingIntel E5200Motherboard with HDMI4TB Ram1TB Hard DiskSata DVD WriterQuiet PSUmATX CaseDoes everything I have thrown at it, connected to my monitor by VGA then HDMI to TV for watching iPlayer etc

HOLY jebus. 4TB ram? Beastly mate.

On a more serious note, how much that set you back? And Can you provide more detailed information about your main board and psu you chose? Im looking to maybe do this myself

coddfather;5304194

Could always build one yourself, just built one with the followingIntel … Could always build one yourself, just built one with the followingIntel E5200Motherboard with HDMI4TB Ram1TB Hard DiskSata DVD WriterQuiet PSUmATX CaseDoes everything I have thrown at it, connected to my monitor by VGA then HDMI to TV for watching iPlayer etc

Jesus mary!!! 4TB of RAM!!!! Are you sure mate, because that's a LOT! 4GB is the top end at the moment but 4TB...I'd be suprised if it didn't mely your system down with that

welshdan;5320650

Jesus mary!!! 4TB of RAM!!!! Are you sure mate, because that's a LOT! 4GB … Jesus mary!!! 4TB of RAM!!!! Are you sure mate, because that's a LOT! 4GB is the top end at the moment but 4TB...I'd be suprised if it didn't mely your system down with that

Hehe, sorry guys 4gb sound better :oops:
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Anyone use a FitBit Surge?23
      2. Iptv813
      3. Does Tesco call you after a delivery?1015
      4. Recommend a free reminder app42

See more discussions