Desktop PC - Advice, Half building, Guidance - Questions

Posted 5th MarEdited by:"MarioMan"
Hello,

I have just bought a Desktop PC from eBay, one of those HP Elite Tower 8300. It was a great bargain overall, for my budget. It meets my all needs and is a great upgrade from my existing SFF Desktop and have a few questions and would be thankful if someone could help me and guide me.

Some background: I have never built a PC, or know much about the Hardware installation side, but I did manage to once insert a small low profile graphics card.

The new PC does not contain/ship with a Hard Drive.
My current PC has a 500GB Hard Drive.

1) Curious: What happens if I remove my current 500GB Hard Drive and install it in the new PC? Will everything "just work" ? Will Windows and all my Files boot as normal?

2) I intend to buy a 240gb SSD and want to install Windows on that I also want to use that 500gb HDD too. I think both will fit in the PC, as it is a big Tower, but - Would I have to Format it and blank it first? If yes, how would I wipe it? If No, would it attempt and get confused to boot off this or the SSD? Ideally, I would not want to format it and keep my existing files on that HDD.

3) RAM and Graphics Card

New PC has 8GB RAM, but I would like to add another 8GB. I have a small Low profile Graphics card on my current PC, which I plan to move over. - When should this be done? What would be the best order - So I first, should just do the SSD and install Windows then do the GC then RAM or what would be the best order

4) Any other advice, recommendations or things I need to know ?

Thank you!
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

4 Comments
Curious: What happens if I remove my current 500GB Hard Drive and install it in the new PC? Will everything "just work" ? Will Windows and all my Files boot as normal?

Usually not recommend. There could be driver issue if motherboard change

2) I intend to buy a 240gb SSD and want to install Windows on that. - SSD are quite small, yet those HDD are big, I know the connection wire is the same, but is there like a holder or something to keep it in its place or is it just plug and all done?

You can just use 2 screw and hanging in the air...
Or you could spend £2 to get a bracket

ebay.co.uk/itm…Jxg

And don't forget SATA cable if you don't have spare one.

3) I also want to use that 500gb HDD too. I think both will fit in the PC, as it is a big Tower, but - Would I have to Format it and blank it first? If yes, how would I wipe it? If No, would it attempt and get confused to boot off this or the SSD? Ideally, I would not want to format it and keep my existing files on that HDD.

Have you not partition your HDD previously? I used to just wiping OS partition...

4) RAM and Graphics Card

New PC has 8GB RAM, but I would like to add another 8GB. I have a small Low profile Graphics card on my current PC, which I plan to move over. - When should this be done? What would be the best order - So I first, should just do the SSD and install Windows then do the GC then RAM or what would be the best order

Don't think there is a particular order.
your PSU is a non-standard 240W. You need to check if it can cope before installing video card
Get the RAM, GPU & RAM connect. Make sure they shown in BIOS
Then install Windows to SSD
Edited by: "Cisco060606" 5th Mar
Hi

Thank you for that!!!
Definitely won't attempt to just stick in the old HDD
I'll just stick with the 2 screws, and will ask the seller if there is a spare SATA Cable.

In regards to the partition no I dont think so.

Could I do this?:
Install the SSD first and confirm if everything works.
Then add in and install the 500HDD (without wiping it) as a secondary drive

Do I need to do anything else?

Big thanks!
1) Maybe. Windows has gotten better over the years at accommodating major hardware changes so it's much more likely to work than it used to.

For that sort of use you're talking about, temporary running until you install to SSD then it's well worth a go. The trouble with running it long term is that the install is more likely to develop issues that are hard to trace.

2) No need to format the hard drive. If the HDD is connected then the Windows installer will pick it up and add it to the boot launcher menu when you install a second copy to the SSD so I'd suggest disconnecting it (also avoids the possibility of accidentally installing over the top).

3) It doesn't matter. Although that PC is getting on a bit (circa 2012) so I'd probably skip spending more money on it and leave it at the current 8GB as that's ample for most things.
EndlessWaves05/03/2020 17:20

1) Maybe. Windows has gotten better over the years at accommodating major …1) Maybe. Windows has gotten better over the years at accommodating major hardware changes so it's much more likely to work than it used to.For that sort of use you're talking about, temporary running until you install to SSD then it's well worth a go. The trouble with running it long term is that the install is more likely to develop issues that are hard to trace. 2) No need to format the hard drive. If the HDD is connected then the Windows installer will pick it up and add it to the boot launcher menu when you install a second copy to the SSD so I'd suggest disconnecting it (also avoids the possibility of accidentally installing over the top).3) It doesn't matter. Although that PC is getting on a bit (circa 2012) so I'd probably skip spending more money on it and leave it at the current 8GB as that's ample for most things.

Ummm thats interesting to know about.

1) BOTH Machines will be and are HP. So I think I can try and it's worth the risk.

2) My current PC has around 12GB RAM and the new one by default will be 8GB. So will feel more like a downgrade. (I use Chrome alot and Chrome uses alot and multitask heavily)

In regards to SSD are there any brands to avoid? I dont need that much space and thinking for me reliability is more important and my budget is around £55. Thanks!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants