Groups
    EXPIRED

Desktop PC for CAD. Sub £500

Hi, looking for a decent desktop pc, with monitor (preferably 19inch plus, HD if possible) with 3/4 gb ram, at least a 500 gb hardrive, and at least a dual core 2.7 ghz processor (ideally a bit better)

I'm into my design, and would like a pc that fits well into my house and looks pretty nice too, really hate those huge, ugly gaming style cases, and would like a small and smart base unit if possible (would like an apple, but can't justify the price tag)

I'm going to be using the pc for my part 2 architecture degree, and will be using it for CAD, so will need to be pretty quick at handling large files/work and be able
    to display CAD renderings succesfully. and don't want to spend over £500

Really appreciate any help any of you can provide

thanks, Jonathan

3 Comments

I have done some similar stuff, and would suggest you go for a 24" screen or at the least 22", 19" is just not big enough. You will find it hard to get a Full HD monitor unless you go for at least 24" you can get Full HD 22" but its hard to find. Also would you build yourself? if you want i will give you a hand to get the parts to build one, you can do it for under £500 you know what OS you want? Last time i used AutoCAD i used XP

Original Poster

Cheers thanks for the advice, will take it into consideration, it's not essential that it's a HD screen, ill have to go and check screen sizes, although I'm not a fan of massive screens, think they hurt your eyes when it's all you can see in front of you, anything is better than my current laptop screen, might look for a decent 21/22 inch screen, good compromise I think! (saw a decent HD one in richer sounds)

as for building my own, like the idea, but I would even know where to start, and wouldn't really trust
    myself to be honest

thanks, Jonathan

jonobailey;8341084

Cheers thanks for the advice, will take it into consideration, it's not … Cheers thanks for the advice, will take it into consideration, it's not essential that it's a HD screen, ill have to go and check screen sizes, although I'm not a fan of massive screens, think they hurt your eyes when it's all you can see in front of you, anything is better than my current laptop screen, might look for a decent 21/22 inch screen, good compromise I think! (saw a decent HD one in richer sounds)as for building my own, like the idea, but I would even know where to start, and wouldn't really trustmyself to be honestthanks, Jonathan

22" is a good comprimise, I use 2x 24" atm lol I know what you mean about the size of the screen but its not jsut the size of the screen you want a bigger one for its the rez a 22" will normally be 1680x 1050 (Nearly Full HD) but you can get 1920x 1080 (Full HD) a 20" is normally 1600x900 (Inbetween Full HD and 720P) but you lose about 1/7 of what you can see on the screen and for CAD I would say that means a lot, up to you though

Where abouts are you in the country? maybe I could build a new one to spec for you if you wanted
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. word association Game73844452
      2. miikeyblue and shabbird's (but mostly shabbird's) Tuesday night pub quiz!553751
      3. Royal Mail chat says I am not allowed to send paper of any kind to Hong Kon…1942
      4. CCleaner software compromised by hackers1525

See more discussions