Desktop PC for playing Overwatch online?

Found 30th Nov 2017
Hello!

My teenage son has been on and on and ON about wanting a desktop PC to do PC gaming. He's an Overwatch fanboy. He plays on X1 just now.

I keep telling him that a gaming PC will cost an arm and a leg, but he keeps trying to show me listings on ebay saying this one will play it etc. And they're only about £200 which I think is impossible.

SO! The Q is... how much WOULD it be for a gaming PC that could play the likes of Overwatch online with fast screen rates, and no lagging? We do have superfast broadband.

Ive tried googling, but just pickling my brain! Anyone have any links to specific desktops that could handle this? Obviously the cheaper the better.

Thanks!
Community Updates
Ask
24 Comments
I know nothing of that game but these seem to be the requirements listed for it

eu.battle.net/sup…159

should give you an idea if the pc's your looking at can handle it, doesn't seem to need anything too much for that game
Edited by: "athunder" 30th Nov 2017
Original Poster
athunder1 h, 7 m ago

I know nothing of that game but these seem to be the requirements listed …I know nothing of that game but these seem to be the requirements listed for ithttps://eu.battle.net/support/en/article/65159should give you an idea if the pc's your looking at can handle it, doesn't seem to need anything too much for that game

it really doesn't I'm afraid!! Thanks though. I know the game requirements specs, but not on finding the cheapest box that can run it. It's a minefield... I don't understand the specs and stuff. All way over my head.
This would play a lot of recent games

amazon.co.uk/gp/…L65

Cost is 289
lumsdot4 m ago

This would play a lot of recent …This would play a lot of recent gameshttps://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01MSNMZRP/ref=mp_s_a_1_27?ie=UTF8&qid=1512046168&sr=1-27&refinements=p_28:Gamingπ=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65Cost is 289

Isn't that integrated graphics?
I have bought 3 zoostorm desktops from their ebay store from £80-£110 and already stuck a half decent cards in and some RAM, just in the (cough) proceed of upgrading the CPUs for about £50 to an i3 (could have got an i5 for 70).

It certainly is doable. (they dont have any decent cheap ones atm, but always worth checking)

Just make sure before you buy any pc that the case isnt too small for any upgrades, that the motherboard (and CPU) can handle gfx/ram (I bought a £40 HP desktop with a PCI Express slot only to find it isnt actually used as a bloody PCI-Express slot).

Just do your research before you buy, unlike me.
Ignore my post above, this does not come with a dedicated graphics card.
It will play overwatch just, but you would be better of with a dedicated graphics card
CoeK3 m ago

Yes, it's not such a good buy
If he isn't fussed about 2nd hand then i would go down that route, can get some decent 2nd hand systems on gumtree/facebook etc.
I've built a few PCs now and lower specs will run games but they aren't very future proof, if you are dedicating hundreds to a pc for gaming already, it's usually better for longevity to save up more and get better parts and assemble yourself if you are able to learn, which is doable but takes time to research. I imagine a £200 gaming pc would technically run overwatch but suspect it would struggle to compete with performance experienced on the console version.
If £200 is a strict limit your going to struggle. Best bet would be a refurb ex business machine. I'll try and keep it simple for you, the main thing to look for is the CPU you want an i3 minimum, ignoring first gen the first number in the CPU's name indicates the gen its from, you'll be looking a 2 or 3 in that range, higher is better but an i5 2nd gen would be better than an i3 3rd gen. I'd look to spend as close to £100 as possible on that.
That then gives you around £100 for the GPU which is the most important part for gaming. Your restricted for what you can get due to how much power they require. You'll want a 1050ti/1050 if your lucky, more likely a 750ti or a 1030 in that budget. (they get worse in order but will all play overwatch at varying degrees of quality) Make sure it doesn't state in the specs that the card needs a 6 pin power connector, most of the above won't but some brands are exceptions.
The problem with going this route is your essentially upgrading it to the max with just the above recommendations, its not going to be future proof and will struggle to run new games in a couple of years. I'd suggest waiting till you can stretch to the £400 range. You can build/buy a nice starter P.C for that with plently of room to upgrade in future.
Dont happen to be near Swansea? I have an i5 2500k, H60 watercooled, 16gig ram, GTX660ti that I would let go for that sort of money (its just sitting boxed under a desk right now)
Original Poster
CoeK30th Nov

If he isn't fussed about 2nd hand then i would go down that route, can get …If he isn't fussed about 2nd hand then i would go down that route, can get some decent 2nd hand systems on gumtree/facebook etc.

probs is with those, is I'd have zero idea if they'd play the game with zero lagging or i'd be up for that route too.
WeeWifie8 m ago

probs is with those, is I'd have zero idea if they'd play the game with …probs is with those, is I'd have zero idea if they'd play the game with zero lagging or i'd be up for that route too.

You would have to check the spec etc. Probably not worth doing if you don't know what you are looking for exactly.
Original Poster
Deaa30th Nov

If £200 is a strict limit your going to struggle. Best bet would be a …If £200 is a strict limit your going to struggle. Best bet would be a refurb ex business machine. I'll try and keep it simple for you, the main thing to look for is the CPU you want an i3 minimum, ignoring first gen the first number in the CPU's name indicates the gen its from, you'll be looking a 2 or 3 in that range, higher is better but an i5 2nd gen would be better than an i3 3rd gen. I'd look to spend as close to £100 as possible on that.That then gives you around £100 for the GPU which is the most important part for gaming. Your restricted for what you can get due to how much power they require. You'll want a 1050ti/1050 if your lucky, more likely a 750ti or a 1030 in that budget. (they get worse in order but will all play overwatch at varying degrees of quality) Make sure it doesn't state in the specs that the card needs a 6 pin power connector, most of the above won't but some brands are exceptions. The problem with going this route is your essentially upgrading it to the max with just the above recommendations, its not going to be future proof and will struggle to run new games in a couple of years. I'd suggest waiting till you can stretch to the £400 range. You can build/buy a nice starter P.C for that with plently of room to upgrade in future.

no it's not a strict budget really... hes just driving me mad showing me links of ebay pc towers saying this will play it and fast. And I keep telling him there's no way you could get a PC for £200 that would play Overwatch with zero lagging.
He'd be saving for it himself see. He'd wants it as fast and sharp and as good visually as playing on the X1.

Thanks for that info though it really does help!!

I got a custom gaming pc for myself many moons ago (13 years ago). Just to be able to play Sims 3 fast haha. Had to get a new graphics card for it in the end as the I had failed, so I needed one anyway so got one that was able to do HD and got an HD monitor. It was a decent make I see pop on here often. Upgraded the ram several years back. But no idea how to go about getting expandable memory for it.... AND it has Vista and I've tried to get newer versions loaded several times over the years and failed. Then some tech geek I met at a BBQ told me that my motherboard was unlikely to be able to get new memory due to its age and the connectors etc change over time. I was raging!! Thought I'd always be able to upgrade it... So you can see I'm not all that great on the tech stuff
Original Poster
CoeK17 m ago

You would have to check the spec etc. Probably not worth doing if you …You would have to check the spec etc. Probably not worth doing if you don't know what you are looking for exactly.

yup thats the issue... I just have no clue!
Original Poster
deleted579591st Dec 2017

Techincally you can always upgrade, just factor in the Motherboard as part …Techincally you can always upgrade, just factor in the Motherboard as part of that upgrade..

Upgrading the motherboard is just eeeek to me, as then will the other parts I still have fit on it and work yknow? Like the good new graphics card etc. Would I lose my saved stuff on the pc? lose the upgraded RAM and need re-buy etc? Just a pain in the ass... would just be easier if all mother boards could take anything!! Then clueless folk like me would stand maybe even half a chance
The game is well optimised and is made to run on most pcs as blizzard didnt want ppl to miss out so don't be going OTT but best to buy from anywhere but pcworld/currys etc
CoeK30th Nov

Integrated graphics are fine for OW... I played it on my dad's £200 laptop just last week.
Snakeyes6461 h, 55 m ago

Integrated graphics are fine for OW... I played it on my dad's £200 laptop …Integrated graphics are fine for OW... I played it on my dad's £200 laptop just last week.

I didn't say it wouldn't run. I just don't think it will run as well or at the settings he would want.
Notebookcheck benchmark the game for laptops, which gives a good idea of which graphics card is needed:
notebookcheck.net/Ove…44&

Assuming you'll be using a 1920x1080 screen (the most common monitor resolution these days) then you want something around the RX 550/GT 1030 level for 60fps on high which is the standard 'this game runs well' level. The consoles also run Overwatch at this frame rate.

If he's got a 144hz monitor and really wants it as smooth and as pretty as possible you'd be looking at the RX 560/GTX 1050 or RX 570/GTX 1060 level to get 100fps+ on high or ultra.

I would personally stick to AMD cards if possible. Freesync support won't make a difference in a high frame rate game like overwatch, but it'll definitely help in others.

Good low end gaming PCs aren't very common unfortunately, most of the ~£400-450 machines are rubbish, even if they come with a reasonable graphics card the processor is usually a poor choice for the money. They do happen occasionally though, Dell were doing a Ryzen 1200 + RX 560 system a week or two ago for £430 (currently back up to £540).

I'm not familiar with the second hand gaming PC market but it seems reasonable that a second hand PC from a few years ago at £200 could offer similar performance.
WeeWifie3 h, 8 m ago

I got a custom gaming pc for myself many moons ago (13 years ago). Just …I got a custom gaming pc for myself many moons ago (13 years ago). Just to be able to play Sims 3 fast haha.

I'm guessing that was The Sims 2? #3 wasn't released until 8 years ago.

Technology has moved on so much that none of the computing bits from a 2004 PC are worth keeping, they're just so slow by today's standards. Something like the graphics card is less powerful than the weakest of today's integrated graphics.
CoeK9 h, 54 m ago

I didn't say it wouldn't run. I just don't think it will run as well or at …I didn't say it wouldn't run. I just don't think it will run as well or at the settings he would want.

Yeah sorry, obviously it's not ideal but if you buy a tower with no dedicated card it will be alot cheaper and you can obviously buy the gfx card later.
Snakeyes6461 h, 8 m ago

Yeah sorry, obviously it's not ideal but if you buy a tower with no …Yeah sorry, obviously it's not ideal but if you buy a tower with no dedicated card it will be alot cheaper and you can obviously buy the gfx card later.

That might be the best option at the budget they have.
Original Poster
EndlessWaves1st Dec

Notebookcheck benchmark the game for laptops, which gives a good idea of …Notebookcheck benchmark the game for laptops, which gives a good idea of which graphics card is needed:https://www.notebookcheck.net/Overwatch-Notebook-and-Desktop-Benchmarks.166833.0.html?sort=b_386_1044∨=&gpu_fullname=1Assuming you'll be using a 1920x1080 screen (the most common monitor resolution these days) then you want something around the RX 550/GT 1030 level for 60fps on high which is the standard 'this game runs well' level. The consoles also run Overwatch at this frame rate.If he's got a 144hz monitor and really wants it as smooth and as pretty as possible you'd be looking at the RX 560/GTX 1050 or RX 570/GTX 1060 level to get 100fps+ on high or ultra.I would personally stick to AMD cards if possible. Freesync support won't make a difference in a high frame rate game like overwatch, but it'll definitely help in others.Good low end gaming PCs aren't very common unfortunately, most of the ~£400-450 machines are rubbish, even if they come with a reasonable graphics card the processor is usually a poor choice for the money. They do happen occasionally though, Dell were doing a Ryzen 1200 + RX 560 system a week or two ago for £430 (currently back up to £540).I'm not familiar with the second hand gaming PC market but it seems reasonable that a second hand PC from a few years ago at £200 could offer similar performance. I'm guessing that was The Sims 2? #3 wasn't released until 8 years ago.Technology has moved on so much that none of the computing bits from a 2004 PC are worth keeping, they're just so slow by today's standards. Something like the graphics card is less powerful than the weakest of today's integrated graphics.

Yup it was Sims 2! that was a typo

My sis in law visited Tesco at like 7am or something on day of release, to get the Sims 2. Me even getting my baby son up. We then complained as they didn't even have them on the shelf yet haha! So they got a couple copies out for us... and of course, full of excitement, returning home... to find that neither of our damn computers could run it
would you like me to make a list of parts and fit a budget? ideally the PC created from said parts would be able to run Overwatch on medium-high settings at 60FPS.

PS. tell your son OW on PC is not as easy as it is on console.its a frustrating experince for most who shift because of unfamilirarty with mouse and keybaord for FPS. You can use a controller but thats taking a knife to a gunfight,
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants