Desktop PC - Which manufacturer makes it easy to upgrade?

Posted 5th Jun
I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction either to a forum or an easy answer on here.
My ageing Sony Desktop is coming to the end of its life and having upgraded it in the past it is now 13 years old and probably on its last legs. I use Apple MacBook Pro the most but, I still need access to a Windows PC and prefer the form factor of a desktop for what I use it for. I use it mainly for internet, Microsoft Office and office type work as opposed to gaming.
I'm looking for a Desktop PC from one of the major manufacturers rather than build it myself. Something like an Acer XC-855 or Dell Optiplex or Inspiron or Lenovo. However, I want the ability in future to upgrade things like memory, hard drive, cpu and gpu - is there anything out there that would suit? Open to all suggestions. Thanks
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

12 Comments
Not many office prebuilds are easy to upgrade as many will use SFF cases or non standard power supplie especially those made by Dell.

Gaming PC's and prebuilts from companies like AWT and CCL will use more standardised parts.
You know your mac can run Windows too?
I have never had any issues upgrading memory or disk on my Dell desktops. Never tried to upgrade/add graphics card.
Why not just buy a refurb SFF Dell or Hp machine. Then once it needs an upgrade remove the drives and port them to a new machine. Most will take a second drive.
All makes are easy, the problem is the parts they use, eg. Cheap psu, and m/board. If the psu doesn’t have enough power to support new parts it’s pointless, also they tend to use cheap boards so it might not support faster or extra ram or newer chip. Buy from somewhere like scan or novatech there builds should list parts if not you could ask and get the answers. Ask these questions in any pc world type shop and watch the sales people squirm...
if you know what you want from a PC then @sarden84 is your man. He’ll point you in the right direction
If you can upgrade your own parts, i'd go ahead and build one its not very far off. pre-builds mostly use cheap parts so upgrading gpu with a cheap psu could mean upgrading that - seems like you know your way around a pc?
As above, if you're looking for a PC that you can upgrade all the way down to the processor, you're pretty much preparing to fully dismantle and rebuild the PC at some point- unless you're planning on upgrading within the first year or so then odds are you're going to be switching out the motherboard which will require almost a complete disassembly and reassembly of the system. If you're willing to go down that route then you may as well cut out the middle man and put the PC together yourself now- you'll learn how to do it from the ground up and not be faced with any random manufacturer qurks, you have full control over parts and don't risk running into things like non-standard power supplies which may hamstring future upgrade attempts, and it's likely to be similarly or more cost effective.
Thanks for all the help and advice so far. Can anyone point me in the direction of the best parts sites to self build? I'm on a tight budget so I may end up going down the cheap older model like a Dell or something - upgrade what I can then move it on after a few years and start again. Much appreciated folks.
pluves106/06/2020 11:50

Thanks for all the help and advice so far. Can anyone point me in the …Thanks for all the help and advice so far. Can anyone point me in the direction of the best parts sites to self build? I'm on a tight budget so I may end up going down the cheap older model like a Dell or something - upgrade what I can then move it on after a few years and start again. Much appreciated folks.

PCPartPicker is usually a good starting point, they aggregate the product listings from the major PC retailers so you can compare prices on almost any part currently on sale. It also has a comparability checker so you know the parts you buy will support each other and for together.

uk.pcpartpicker.com
PCPartPicker is full of holes, missing products even from the sites they claim to list. It's a useful tool for roughing out costs, but not for picking parts.
pluves106/06/2020 11:50

Thanks for all the help and advice so far. Can anyone point me in the …Thanks for all the help and advice so far. Can anyone point me in the direction of the best parts sites to self build? I'm on a tight budget so I may end up going down the cheap older model like a Dell or something - upgrade what I can then move it on after a few years and start again. Much appreciated folks.

If you want cheap then you could buy itzoo.co.uk/col…-10 for £64.99 or itzoo.co.uk/col…-10 for £69.99
You need to upgrade to a SSD for the OS and upgrade the CPU to something like an i5. I got a £10 voucher to bring the cost down to £55/60 if you're interested.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants