Found 25th Dec 2014
Hello

I have found this desktop bundle for £299

It includes a monitor
4gb ram
1tb hdd

I am unsure about the graphics card?

Is this a good deal?
Could you upgrade the graphics cared easily?
How is the processor.

CPU benchmarks say around 3000 score?

Thank you

tesco.com/dir…306

9 Comments

Processor is basic but adequate for most tasks. Gpu should be upgradeable but suspect it will be limited by the psu although you could probably upgrade that too. It's a basic home office pc

Original Poster

Why is this cold. It's got a decent CPU around 3ghz
Includes a monitor

The Cpu is a bit dated, its dualcore, the graphics is onboard shared, you could add a card easy.
My opinion is shop for better cpu.

markhuges

Why is this cold. It's got a decent CPU around 3ghz Includes a monitor

It will contain nothing but budget components. It's not the best base to build a machine from.

the monitor is worth about 60-70. So the desktop is 230-240.
Its an OK price for a an OK computer. not the best. not the worst! not a bargain either

Visiondvd

The Cpu is a bit dated, its dualcore, the graphics is onboard shared, you … The Cpu is a bit dated, its dualcore, the graphics is onboard shared, you could add a card easy.My opinion is shop for better cpu.

What?

The Pentium G3000 are Intel's cutting edge Haswell design, that particular model is not much more than six months old, having been released this summer.

Granted, Intel has since released a G3250 with a 100Mhz bump in clock speed for the same price as yields have improved but 3% more performance is so small as to be irrelevent.

The next significant step up from that £45 CPU is an i3-41__ at £90 which gets you more CPU performance and 60% more graphics power (100% more if you spend an extra £15 on an i3-43__).

So the base unit is quite good, if you search you'll find it's gone hot multiple times on here, typically in it's £190 500GB version rather than this £10 more version with 1TB of storage (as a lot of people want an SSD these days). It's available alone here:
ebuyer.com/662…023
ebuyer.com/643…001

The bundle as a whole is a lot less convincing primarily because there's no details about the monitor, keyboard and mouse. It could easily be a £60 monitor and £10 keyboard and mouse bundle and paying £100 for that would be a very poor deal.
Edited by: "EndlessWaves" 26th Dec 2014

EndlessWaves

What?The next significant step up from that £45 CPU is an i3-41__ at £90 w … What?The next significant step up from that £45 CPU is an i3-41__ at £90 which gets you more CPU performance and 60% more graphics power (100% more if you spend an extra £15 on an i3-43__).

I'm sure I suggested shopping for a better cpu, you obviously have more time than me, so get the op a better deal overall with a better cpu.

Visiondvd

I'm sure I suggested shopping for a better cpu, you obviously have more … I'm sure I suggested shopping for a better cpu, you obviously have more time than me, so get the op a better deal overall with a better cpu.

Why would I do that when my argument was that this was a great CPU and the next significant model up would add a good 25% to the cost of the base unit?

The op asked for advice on Graphics Cpu and price/ deal.

Pros and Cons summary
Core i5
Handles more simultaneous threads,
Operates at higher frequency,

Pentium G3250
Needs less power,
lower price

Overall I advise shopping for a better cpu and that graphics was onboard.
If you shop hard enough all of the above can be got for same or similar price.
It took me two minutes to find this, less than the time it took you to type all overcomplicating factors.

ebay.co.uk/itm…e1d

Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. MacBook33
    2. Gala Bingo/Games. Deposit £5 get £40 cashback. Quidco - new Gala members22
    3. Why can't I connect my nectar to eBay?58
    4. NEWBIE Help with a new laptop or PC please?!34

See more discussions