Desktop prices way too high

Found 16th Dec 2017
Is it just me or are desktop prices ridiculously high at the low to middle end? In pcworld, the laptops were cheaper and had higher specs. This was also the case in a few online stores I checked.

What's going on? How on Earth can desktops be more expensive? I know I'll be building one, but it's just crazy that this is the case.

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
10 Comments

I haven’t noticed this as much, I mean I have seen some decent machines going for around £300/350 with i3, 8gb ddr4, 1tb hdd etc which has been pretty standard

Edit: also that’s PcWorld I don’t touch them with a barge pole can’t stand them
Edited by: "mrguy797" 16th Dec 2017

Desktops are normally cheaper, you need to look somewhere else other than the places you’re looking

you also have to bear in mind, that a processer in a laptop is not the same as the desktop version, even if they are called the same thing

i'd be surprised if an i3 with 8 gig of RAM was £300+ today, i bought a few at least 2 years ago for about that price, although i dont keep an eye on hardware prices anymore

kingtreelo1 h, 25 m ago

you also have to bear in mind, that a processer in a laptop is not the …you also have to bear in mind, that a processer in a laptop is not the same as the desktop version, even if they are called the same thingi'd be surprised if an i3 with 8 gig of RAM was £300+ today, i bought a few at least 2 years ago for about that price, although i dont keep an eye on hardware prices anymore

There's been a big rise in prices on memory and storage in the last couple of years, and of course brexit has mullered the exchange rate.

A couple of years ago Pentium systems were going for under £200, these days you're lucky to find them for under £250.

Yes I've noticed it as well, I was on the look out for one a couple of weeks ago for a friend.

the home desktop market is in huge decline compared with a few years ago, there is only one way prices are going.

It's due to the fall in the pound since the Brexit vote. Same for all imported goods.
Edited by: "milady" 17th Dec 2017

Original Poster

mrguy79716th Dec

I haven’t noticed this as much, I mean I have seen some decent machines g …I haven’t noticed this as much, I mean I have seen some decent machines going for around £300/350 with i3, 8gb ddr4, 1tb hdd etc which has been pretty standardEdit: also that’s PcWorld I don’t touch them with a barge pole can’t stand them

Got a link to a good deal?

bjrosl8 m ago

Got a link to a good deal?

The specific one I referred to isn't available anymore at that price (bought it for a relative) but it was a Dell Inspiron 3268. For a little more there is an i5 Lenovo:
ebuyer.com/785…cuk

also some more budget friendly dekstops can be found here:
ebuyer.com/sto…ing

£400 for 4GB of memory and a 500GB hard drive is a terrible deal.

Faster processors are a waste of money these days. When even a sub-i3 Pentium G4600 is as fast as a mainstream i7-7500U the most noticeable improvements for normal use on a budget desktop is more memory and a decent size SSD.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions