Desktop unit for 12 year old

Posted 17th Aug
I want to buy a desktop unit for a 12 year old for his homework. I have a monitor n the keyboard. Can somebody please recommend one, I don't have much knowledge about it. Thanks
Community Updates
Ask
16 Comments
IKEA have good desks
Edited by: "Jonah06" 17th Aug
A budget is really needed her to make viable suggestions. Also, wireless required or connecting via ethernet? What type of connection do you plan to use with the monitor....HDMI/Display Port/DVI....(?)

Have you considered the benefits of a laptop that you can connect simply via a dock and power and then use as a laptop as and where needed?
Edited by: "morgie" 17th Aug
Hi,

What sort of budget are we looking at? And are you looking to get something brand new, manufacturer refurbished, or used?
Try to get a reconditioned Dell
I want the desktop to restrict the excessive use of it because with the laptop kids just take it everywhere and use a lot. I just want a reliable everyday use machine for mainly his educational needs. New or may be refurbished with some warranty ll be better. Budget is around £300
Khairul17/08/2020 13:30

Hi,What sort of budget are we looking at? And are you looking to get …Hi,What sort of budget are we looking at? And are you looking to get something brand new, manufacturer refurbished, or used?

I want the desktop to restrict the excessive use of it because with the laptop kids just take it everywhere and use a lot. I just want a reliable everyday use machine for mainly his educational needs. New or may be refurbished with some warranty ll be better. Budget is around £300

Jonah0617/08/2020 13:24

IKEA have good desks

If you want something to take up minimal space and don't need to expand storage etc, I'd go after a refurbed Lenovo ThinkCentre Tiny machine, for £300 you could get a M710q / M910q with 8GB RAM and an i5 (~2015) plus some warranty left, e.g. something like this - ebay.co.uk/itm…862 Do some research and look at what else is available in the range that may suit your requirements. If you want to see the history of the product line - en.wikipedia.org/wik…ies - this is one of the "Tiny" options as they can in different form factors.

Note - they will mostly use Display Port. Also check for wi-fi if you need it or inclusion of a dongle etc. Both these points related to two of my questions above. Sounds like you need a mouse too.
morgie17/08/2020 14:31

If you want something to take up minimal space and don't need to expand …If you want something to take up minimal space and don't need to expand storage etc, I'd go after a refurbed Lenovo ThinkCentre Tiny machine, for £300 you could get a M710q / M910q with 8GB RAM and an i5 (~2015) plus some warranty left, e.g. something like this - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114356400862 Do some research and look at what else is available in the range that may suit your requirements. If you want to see the history of the product line - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ThinkCentre_M_series - this is one of the "Tiny" options as they can in different form factors.Note - they will mostly use Display Port. Also check for wi-fi if you need it or inclusion of a dongle etc. Both these points related to two of my questions above. Sounds like you need a mouse too.

OK I will try to do some research. It should be connected wirelessly to WiFi.

Jonah0617/08/2020 13:24

IKEA have good desks

Haha I just re read I am sorry so sleepy
If you don't know what kind of connection your monitor has, can you find the monitor's model number and let us know?
Khairul17/08/2020 15:21

If you don't know what kind of connection your monitor has, can you find …If you don't know what kind of connection your monitor has, can you find the monitor's model number and let us know?

Hp elitedisplay e232
For home work, a fairly basic PC will be fine. I would work out what the requirements are of your 12 year old.

Budget wise a refurbished desktop via Ebay with Windows 10 installed should meet your needs they can £50 - £250 depending on Spec and what they include.

If they are using the PC to edit pictures photographs for projects with Photoshop you will need a fairly reasonable Spec Processor Intel i5 or i7 and a large amount of RAM 8GB minimum. AMD processes are also an option, just check the number of Cores and Speed.

To use with WiFi you will require a WiFi USB dongle they are £4-£15 via Ebay if not included in the bundle. With Windows 10 most work by plugging in via USB and they are recognised.

Other options are open but if your child saves all work locally and Google Docs they should have access when needed. docs.google.com/

If you want free MS Office with 98% of the features but no cost - libreoffice.org/ or openoffice.org/

Win 10 does have its own Antivirus but if you need Free Antivirus - avira.com or avast.com

Hope that was some help and confused you.
Edited by: "E_T_C" 17th Aug
Maryam_Haq17/08/2020 16:03

Hp elitedisplay e232

Hopefully the below looks familiar (taken from the HP website here), please check it against your model. You should have the choice between HDMI or Display Port (DP), so a good position to be in. Ignore VGA (poorest quality/old tech). When you've selected your desktop just ensure you have the appropriate HDMI or DP cable (a cheap one with good reviews will be fine).

41687961-TBLJe.jpg

NOTE - it doesn't look like the monitor has speakers, so you may want to consider some. No need to go for anything fancy unless you have a particular need. These Logitech USB powered ones for <£15 would do the job - smile.amazon.co.uk/Log…K4/ Alternatively rely on a headset/headphones.
It's amazing what you can get for £230, this one has 8GB RAM and the essential HDMI sockets:
itzoo.co.uk/col…-11

Fly in the ointment is the HDD when SSD is more desirable. HDD means boot-up time from cold can be a bit slow and will get slower over time, eg 3 mins. SSDs always boot up in under a minute. Energy saving solution is to sleep the machine when not in use, it comes out of sleep instantly. Reboot every few days instead.

(Edit, watch out for lack of built in WiFi on that one, external WiFi dongles are fine but a bit of a compromise)
Edited by: "harrythefish" 18th Aug
Thanks everyone for your input. I think I have an idea now what to look for.
morgie17/08/2020 18:11

Hopefully the below looks familiar (taken from the HP website here), …Hopefully the below looks familiar (taken from the HP website here), please check it against your model. You should have the choice between HDMI or Display Port (DP), so a good position to be in. Ignore VGA (poorest quality/old tech). When you've selected your desktop just ensure you have the appropriate HDMI or DP cable (a cheap one with good reviews will be fine).[Image] NOTE - it doesn't look like the monitor has speakers, so you may want to consider some. No need to go for anything fancy unless you have a particular need. These Logitech USB powered ones for <£15 would do the job - https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-Z120-Laptop-Speakers-3-5mm/dp/B00544XKK4/ Alternatively rely on a headset/headphones.

Yeah it's the same monitor. OK i ll
Post a comment
@
    Text