Expired

Desperately need help with an infuriaiting driver installation problem for HP printer

Found 15th Oct 2012
Is there anyone who can help me with the following problem. This is with an HP Photosmart 5514 printer (5510 family). HP's customer support is utterly apalling and they have been no help whatsoever.

Here's the problem:_

My PC is running Windows 7 64-bit. The printer is new having taken delivery last Friday.

Went to install drivers on Friday and made the initial mistake of connecting the printer before I had downloaded the drivers first.

The driver software successfully extracts. I then get the MSS InstallWizard for Samsung USB Driver for Mobile Phones V1.3.650.0. window. If I cancel, then installation terminates. If i proceed it tries to install but I get the following window

"The mss Installwizard was not completed for Samsung USB Driver for Mobile Phones V1.3.650.0."

"The mss Installwizard was not successfully installed Samsung USB Driver for Mobile Phones V1.3.650.0. Click finish to exit Wizard"

On exiting, installation terminates and none of the drivers are installed.

In desperation after around 12 unsuccessful installs, I have carried out a System Restore to 2 days prior to my first attempting to install the drivers which has successfully removed the HP e-print programme. I then uninstalled Samsung Kies ( I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 phone), an old version of Samsung PC Studio and an already installed newer up to date version of the USB Driver that comes with Kies. This I hoped would remove any possible conflict with the printer drivers the HP software is trying to install.

Having done all the above and re-booted, I am still getting exactly the same problem. Every time the install tries to put the out of date Samsung USB driver in the installation fails.

As a footnote I bought the same printer for my daughter a month ago and successfully installed the drivers on her laptop without any of these problems.

Can anyone pm me who thinks they might have a solution? Please keep it in a simple language as possible!

Many thanks in anticipation.

37 Comments

What has

MSS InstallWizard for Samsung USB Driver for Mobile Phones V1.3.650.0

Got to do with installing a HP printer?

Banned

did you install this one?

if you connect the printer to your wi-fi using the menu on the printer first. You can manually add your wifi details to the printer using set up wifi option on printer settings.
Once this is done you can then add the printer to your laptop/pc by selecting "devices and printers" (found by clicking your start button and will be in the right hand list underneath control panel)
Select the devices and printers option - then along the top there should be an "add device and add printer" line. Click add printer then choose add a "network, wireless or bluetooth printer." It should find your printer on the wireless network and install from there.
This only works if you set up the wireless option on the printer using the printer menu.

Original Poster

kunyk

did you install this one?

Tried both the basic and the featured drivers. Same error with both. Even had a friend who used to work for HP on the case.

Dave

Original Poster

jonny619447

What has Got to do with installing a HP printer?

That's what I thought but it's because the printer has features for using mobile apps to operate the wireless.

Original Poster

The Therapist

Try … Try thishttp://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?cc=uk&lc=en&jumpid=ex_r4155/hho/ipg/ccdoc/piw/&lang=en&softwareitem=oj-108558-1http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02436127&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&os=4063&product=5096386&rule=9030&sw_lang=

Same problem trying to install using the wizard.

With printer connected by USB the printer appears under devices not printers in and right clicking doesn't give option to delete!

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Dave

Original Poster

its only me

if you connect the printer to your wi-fi using the menu on the printer … if you connect the printer to your wi-fi using the menu on the printer first. You can manually add your wifi details to the printer using set up wifi option on printer settings.Once this is done you can then add the printer to your laptop/pc by selecting "devices and printers" (found by clicking your start button and will be in the right hand list underneath control panel)Select the devices and printers option - then along the top there should be an "add device and add printer" line. Click add printer then choose add a "network, wireless or bluetooth printer." It should find your printer on the wireless network and install from there.This only works if you set up the wireless option on the printer using the printer menu.

Was working fine up to very last stage when Windows couldn't find drivers. Ran an update but 5100 series printers drivers still weren't on the list.

Damn

In the device manager what happens if you chose the dodgy Samsung device (that is really the printer) chose to do an update of the driver and then manually point to the HP driver?

Original Poster

Milkfloat

In the device manager what happens if you chose the dodgy Samsung device … In the device manager what happens if you chose the dodgy Samsung device (that is really the printer) chose to do an update of the driver and then manually point to the HP driver?

I'll give that try at home this evening.

Try right clicking in the printers /fax’s window / choose server properties / drivers tab / and delete all the old print drivers, then restart and try installing it again, sorry not sur if it will work with 7? I only use XP

Original Poster

Thanks everyone so far. A couple more things to try but if they won't work i'm going to sell on the HP printer and get myself a Canon. Still don't understand why this has happened given i installed the drivers for the idenitical printer on my daughter's Windows 7 laptop only 4 weeks ago?

HP Customer Support is shameful. Won't let you speak to a technician unless you are with the machine. And gues when the telephone service is open, weekday work hours only. Can't even online chat with a technician as this printer isn't supported through that facility. Tried e-mialing technical support and can't do tat either because printer isn't supported. Only lets me access users forum.

Utter rubbish and I told them so yesterday!

Banned

is your daughter's laptop x86 or x64 version of 7?

Download revouninstaller.com/. Free trial>Uninstaller (use advanced settings). Uninstall all of the HP software/drivers including registry etc. Reboot, then try installing again.

Also go to C:\Windows\System32\drivers. Delete all the HP drivers and Samsung drivers, reboot, then try reinstallation.

Mottmania

Same problem trying to install using the wizard.With printer connected by … Same problem trying to install using the wizard.With printer connected by USB the printer appears under devices not printers in and right clicking doesn't give option to delete!Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!Dave

When in Devices, right click>Properties>Driver Details. Note where the driver files are stored. Then using Explorer, go to the folders and delete them. Reboot and try reinstall.

I once had a very stubborn Canon printer that had a similar problem and that was an absolute b**ch to fix. Got there in the end though.

Original Poster

kunyk

is your daughter's laptop x86 or x64 version of 7?

x64.

Original Poster

The Therapist

Also go to C:\Windows\System32\drivers. Delete all the HP drivers and … Also go to C:\Windows\System32\drivers. Delete all the HP drivers and Samsung drivers, reboot, then try reinstallation.

Went into system32 and found one really old HP driver which I deleted. Couldn't see any Samsung drivers.

Don't know if there are any others lurking around as not sure how I would find them. Is there a way of searching by name?

Also found an HP folder and Samsung folder still sitting in the C drive so deleted them.

Guess what; still wouldn't install and same error message!

I think I am going to have to sell this on and buy a Canon.

Dave

Original Poster

Beneath the driver folder in system32 is Driverstore and in there is a sub folder called file repository. In there are 5 driver files that start hp

C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\hpoa1nd.inf_amd64_neutral_cf39c48277e038de
C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\hpoa1sd.inf_amd64_neutral_caaa16c52c48f8ac
C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\hpoa1so.inf_amd64_neutral_4f1a3f1015001339
C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\hpoa1ss.inf_amd64_neutral_8cae09a2238d64e0
C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\hpsamd.inf_amd64_neutral_84ae149ecc9f8033

Should these be deleted (although there is nothing in the properties details for each of these that suggests the author is HP)

Dave

They do look like HP drivers. Delete them, perhaps save onto a memory disk in case you need to restore them.

Have you tried Revo Uninstaller?

Also, try to use a different USB port and maybe a different cable just to be sure the cable is not duff.

Original Poster

The Therapist

They do look like HP drivers. Delete them, perhaps save onto a memory … They do look like HP drivers. Delete them, perhaps save onto a memory disk in case you need to restore them.Have you tried Revo Uninstaller?Also, try to use a different USB port and maybe a different cable just to be sure the cable is not duff.

I now the USB cable is fine so that rules that out.

I downloaded Revo but can't work out how to get it to search for hidden drivers and registry entries. The main GUI just has all the programmes and there are no HP or Samsung programmes for me to highlight to start an uninstall. How do I get it to find the drivers and registry entries?

Dave

Did you try what I suggested? It is really simple.

Try what Milkfloat has suggested.

If I remember correctly, when I had the problem with my Canon, I copied the driver from another PC to a USB stick, then did what Milkfloat has suggested pointing the update driver to the USB stick.

I have an old copy of Revo so not sure how the new one fares, but the program including leftover bits were showing in the uninstall menu of Revo.

You could also try selecting and installing the Generic driver to see if you can get the printer to work, then try updating to the new printer driver.

Original Poster

Milkfloat

Did you try what I suggested? It is really simple.

Have just tried but update driver option is greyed out as no driver installed which takes us back to the original problem.

I double clicked on faulty device (the printer) clicked the hardware tab, properties, update driver in general tab greyed out and in driver tab.

Am I doing something wrong?

Dave

Original Poster

The Therapist

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02440673&tmp_task=useCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=5096386#N522

All the HP and Samsung programmes have been uninstalled already.

Dave

Original Poster

You guys are being very patient with me and I appreciate it greatly. But as you can see everything suggested just isn't working.

Dave

Mottmania

You guys are being very patient with me and I appreciate it greatly. But … You guys are being very patient with me and I appreciate it greatly. But as you can see everything suggested just isn't working.Dave

Had exact same problem after connecting a new HP before installing the drivers. See the following link and follow instructions exactly worked for me.

h10025.www1.hp.com/ewf…=en

Original Poster

Argoj

Had exact same problem after connecting a new HP before installing the … Had exact same problem after connecting a new HP before installing the drivers. See the following link and follow instructions exactly worked for me. http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00836418&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en#N4401

Had exact same problem after connecting a new HP before installing the drivers. See the following link and follow instructions exactly worked for me.

h10025.www1.hp.com/ewf…=en[/quote]

Mine isn't a case of a stalling install, it completes but then automatically wants to install the offending Samsung USB for mobile phone driver which fails and results in none of the printer drivers being installed.

Followed all the stages as set out in that link and a fresh download resulted in exactly the same outcome. Wouldn't complete the download because of the Samsung USB driver failing to complete.

No hidden error messages involved so I'm back at square one.

Quite frankly I've had enough of this and what with HP's useless customer service am going to sell on the printer and go back to Canon.

It's shame because it's a nice printer and as stated previously bought the same printer for my daughter for Uni and successfully installed the drivers on her Windows 7 x64 laptop with no problems.

Dave

You say you installed this printer on another pc. Right click on properties

Mottmania

Have just tried but update driver option is greyed out as no driver … Have just tried but update driver option is greyed out as no driver installed which takes us back to the original problem.I double clicked on faulty device (the printer) clicked the hardware tab, properties, update driver in general tab greyed out and in driver tab.Am I doing something wrong? Dave

Did you click on Change Settings first?

Original Poster

The Therapist

You say you installed this printer on another pc. Right click on … You say you installed this printer on another pc. Right click on propertiesDid you click on Change Settings first?

Didn't install this printer on another PC but another one of the same printer that I bought a month earlier for my daughter. Loaded all the drivers on to her Windows 7 x64 laptop without any bother. The printer itself is fine, did all the set up processes for that no problem.

Seems like some strange association has been made between the HP drivers and Samsung drivers which is why i keep getting the attempted install of the Samsung USB drivers for mobile phone automatically at the end of the installation of the HP drivers and something stops that installing thereby buggering up the whole process.

I have removed all Samsung software from my PC so am completely stuck.

Just realised I didn't finish my first sentence.

In device manager, do you see any exclamation marks to the left column. Ensure 'show hidden devices' is ticked (Menu>View>Show hidden devices.

May be worth a registry clean/scan for obsolete junk.

Try eusing.com/fre…htm

Also, try this uninstaller

http://www.ursoftware.com/product/uninstaller/

Go to Tools>Options>Match Level

Use Average or Aggressive if you feel brave.

The Autofix button is quite good too.

The Advanced uninstall may show Samsung software etc. that does not appear in the normal Remove Programs menu of Windows.

Original Poster

The Therapist

Just realised I didn't finish my first sentence.In device manager, do you … Just realised I didn't finish my first sentence.In device manager, do you see any exclamation marks to the left column. Ensure 'show hidden devices' is ticked (Menu>View>Show hidden devices.May be worth a registry clean/scan for obsolete junk.Try http://www.eusing.com/free_registry_cleaner/registry_cleaner.htm

Nothing obviously HP or Samsung comes up using advanced.

Dave
The Therapist

Also, try this … Also, try this uninstallerhttp://www.ursoftware.com/product/uninstaller/Go to Tools>Options>Match LevelUse Average or Aggressive if you feel brave.The Autofix button is quite good too.The Advanced uninstall may show Samsung software etc. that does not appear in the normal Remove Programs menu of Windows.

Original Poster

The Therapist

Just realised I didn't finish my first sentence.In device manager, do you … Just realised I didn't finish my first sentence.In device manager, do you see any exclamation marks to the left column. Ensure 'show hidden devices' is ticked (Menu>View>Show hidden devices.May be worth a registry clean/scan for obsolete junk.Try http://www.eusing.com/free_registry_cleaner/registry_cleaner.htm

Have used the registry cleaner. Will try re-installing this evening.

Thanks again

Dave

Original Poster

Absolute no go.

Have now thrown in the towel and took delivery today of a Canon Pixma 5250 from the official Canon refurb seller on ebay for same price as the HP. HP now going to be sold on.

Lovely printer, drivers and software installed without a hitch.

Bye bye HP.

Thanks to everyone again for doing your utmost to help. It is much appreciated

Dave
Post a comment
@
    Text