Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

DHL customs & vat charges

Posted 7th Dec 2019
Ok so I am expecting parcel from UAE. The value of the item is around £55 so I knew I was going to pay around £11 for vat. But today I get an email from dhl saying I have to pay vat + deferment risk? Charge. Total about £22.
I called them and they’re saying that they’re going to make the payment on my behalf and that they need to have a deferment risk account or some crap like that so they need to charge me as I don’t have that sort of account. I’m well confused but they won’t deliver until I pay.
Can I disagree with paying the deferment risk charge?
Community Updates
Ask
26 Comments
Deferment fee effectively means admin fee. Considering the tax was not pre-paid and so DHL have incurred admin as a result it does not seem unreasonable to pay an admin fee. Most courier's admin fees in similar circumstances are £8 - £15. Your call to decide if £11 is excessive, but you won't be getting your parcel until either it's paid or you come to some arrangement (unlikely).
deleted1471098
This is normal and no you can’t disagree as the parcel will be returned to sender and they will be made to pay to get the parcel back or it’ll get destroyed.
Edited by: "deleted1471098" 7th Dec 2019
I work for Royal Mail and we charge £8 on top of the tax again it’s basically an admin fee. It’s a risk when you buy something to either pay the tax at time of purchase to make sure you don’t pay an admin fee or risk it and hope it slips through the net so you pay no tax at all and save a bit money but risk getting picked up on and owing the tax plus admin fee. I’ve noticed we are catching more and more so DHL probably are too and unless the item is £100s So you could save a fortune I’d say don’t take the risk.
Edited by: "toonsquirel" 7th Dec 2019
"I knew I was going to pay around £11 for vat" but presumably hadn't checked the courier's terms that explains:
"How much is the Advance Payment / Disbursement I have to pay? An amount of £11.00 or 2.5% of the total Duty and/or VAT incurred, whichever is the greater."
dhl.co.uk/en/…tml
toonsquirel07/12/2019 16:28

I work for Royal Mail and we charge £8 on top of the tax again it’s ba …I work for Royal Mail and we charge £8 on top of the tax again it’s basically an admin fee. It’s a risk when you buy something to either pay the tax at time of purchase to make sure you don’t pay an admin fee or risk it and hope it slips through the net so you pay no tax at all and save a bit money but risk getting picked up on and owing the tax plus admin fee. I’ve noticed we are catching more and more so DHL probably are too and unless the item is £100s So you could save a fortune I’d say don’t take the risk.

What is the fully loaded cost to Royal Mail of catching x parcels per 1000 parcels?
splender07/12/2019 16:55

What is the fully loaded cost to Royal Mail of catching x parcels per 1000 …What is the fully loaded cost to Royal Mail of catching x parcels per 1000 parcels?

I’m not sure cos I never notice the ones that slip through the net we’ve no way to see they didn’t pay tax. But in my little office with 7 post rounds we used to get maybe 5-10 customs charges per week and recently we get 3/4 per day. So 2-3 x more and that could be down to more orders from abroad but is more likely more getting caught. I know a fella who buys something in bulk from Africa and Pays £100s per parcel and gets up to 10 per time. He often pays the fee for getting caught but still says he saves more taking the risk and ones slipping through the net than he would pay if he paid properly. But he orders loads so must be less than 50% that get caught. So if you do a lot it’s worth risking but for just the one on low value item it’s not worth it.
toonsquirel07/12/2019 17:03

I’m not sure cos I never notice the ones that slip through the net we’ve no …I’m not sure cos I never notice the ones that slip through the net we’ve no way to see they didn’t pay tax. But in my little office with 7 post rounds we used to get maybe 5-10 customs charges per week and recently we get 3/4 per day. So 2-3 x more and that could be down to more orders from abroad but is more likely more getting caught. I know a fella who buys something in bulk from Africa and Pays £100s per parcel and gets up to 10 per time. He often pays the fee for getting caught but still says he saves more taking the risk and ones slipping through the net than he would pay if he paid properly. But he orders loads so must be less than 50% that get caught. So if you do a lot it’s worth risking but for just the one on low value item it’s not worth it.

How many parcels/letters are opened though to catch the 3/4 per day though? There must be labour cost in opening, closing and doing all the bits and bobs plus IT costs?
splender07/12/2019 17:17

How many parcels/letters are opened though to catch the 3/4 per day …How many parcels/letters are opened though to catch the 3/4 per day though? There must be labour cost in opening, closing and doing all the bits and bobs plus IT costs?

Is that not a HMRC task (not RM task) so a HMRC cost, presumably semi-self-recovered by the import fees? I assumed (possibly incorrectly) RM simply attempted collection of fees when instructed to by HMRC.
that’s a good question actually because I’ve never noticed any of the parcels been opened so I’m not actually sure how they catch the parcels or how they know the value to make the charge. We just get the customs charged ones separate into us ready to send customer a card advising them we have the parcel and of the fee.
AndyRoyd07/12/2019 17:23

Is that not a HMRC task (not RM task) so a HMRC cost, presumably …Is that not a HMRC task (not RM task) so a HMRC cost, presumably semi-self-recovered by the import fees? I assumed (possibly incorrectly) RM simply attempted collection of fees when instructed to by HMRC.

It is a tax task, the imports are through tax before mail service. I am asking, as the tax task and mail task could be on the same facility or adjacent facility (as far as a transport hub)?
AndyRoyd07/12/2019 17:23

Is that not a HMRC task (not RM task) so a HMRC cost, presumably …Is that not a HMRC task (not RM task) so a HMRC cost, presumably semi-self-recovered by the import fees? I assumed (possibly incorrectly) RM simply attempted collection of fees when instructed to by HMRC.

It is, but it works very similar to VAT - is the company collects it on behalf of HMRC
ktm66607/12/2019 17:43

It is, but it works very similar to VAT - is the company collects it on …It is, but it works very similar to VAT - is the company collects it on behalf of HMRC

Yes, but I am referring to what entity identifies the items that may require inspection. I assumed that would be exclusively HMRC personnel, not RM.
toonsquirel07/12/2019 17:23

that’s a good question actually because I’ve never noticed any of the par …that’s a good question actually because I’ve never noticed any of the parcels been opened so I’m not actually sure how they catch the parcels or how they know the value to make the charge. We just get the customs charged ones separate into us ready to send customer a card advising them we have the parcel and of the fee.

I thought the sender informs them with how much the parcel values ?
AndyRoyd07/12/2019 17:46

Yes, but I am referring to what entity identifies the items that may …Yes, but I am referring to what entity identifies the items that may require inspection. I assumed that would be exclusively HMRC personnel, not RM.

A lot of the time it will be purely what's on the invoice and if they feel its undervalued or not.

They will also do spot checks at random
AndyRoyd07/12/2019 17:46

Yes, but I am referring to what entity identifies the items that may …Yes, but I am referring to what entity identifies the items that may require inspection. I assumed that would be exclusively HMRC personnel, not RM.

This can be HMRC, but I believe under the Postal Services Act the courtier can too. In this case, DHL identity the item through its customs declaration and would collect the taxes for HMRC
Hey everybody I paid the £22 lol thanks for the comments though x
Was it from hudda beauty?
You need to be wary of the DHL delivery person trying to charge the same fee again. They tried it on with something my wife purchased, made it clear he would not be here delivering the item if we had not made the payment.

PS - if it is Huda Beauty complian on her social media...seems everyone has been stung by the change in shipper.
Ka11ran08/12/2019 00:04

Was it from hudda beauty?

Yep Black Friday deals were soo good couldn’t resist but never again lol
Sagz08/12/2019 00:04

You need to be wary of the DHL delivery person trying to charge the same …You need to be wary of the DHL delivery person trying to charge the same fee again. They tried it on with something my wife purchased, made it clear he would not be here delivering the item if we had not made the payment.PS - if it is Huda Beauty complian on her social media...seems everyone has been stung by the change in shipper.

I will definitely call them tomorrow and make sure they have received my payment. Thank you !

You need to be wary of the DHL delivery person trying to charge the same …You need to be wary of the DHL delivery person trying to charge the same fee again. They tried it on with something my wife purchased, made it clear he would not be here delivering the item if we had not made the payment.PS - if it is Huda Beauty complian on her social media...seems everyone has been stung by the change in shipper.

So you had paid it online but then the driver tried to charge you again?

...if it is Huda Beauty complian on her social media...seems everyone has …...if it is Huda Beauty complian on her social media...seems everyone has been stung by the change in shipper.

If import tax is due it is due regardless of shipping method / courier.
Sc4mp008/12/2019 11:24

So you had paid it online but then the driver tried to charge you again?

Yes the driver tried it on.
AndyRoyd08/12/2019 15:21

If import tax is due it is due regardless of shipping method / courier.

Understood, the main issue is the DHL admin charge is significantly more than most other couriers and their drivers try to charge upon delivery again.
Sagz08/12/2019 15:42

Yes the driver tried it on.

He wouldn't have tried it on, he just wouldn't have the instructions come through on his scanner that they had been paid.

If you had shown him the payment reference he would have accepted it and delivered the shipment.
@Merry000 pm me please as yours is switched off
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions