DHL damaged Computer...Need help please

Tara1082 bought a computer from me and DHL picked it up yesterday and delivered it today. It was shipped in a box that a computer case came in along with the foam inserts so was securly packaged.

Now when you turns it on she just gets beeps. she has reinserted the graphics and memory but really dont know what else to tell her to try.

I'm all up for refunding her but i want to try to get it working again 1st. Does anyone know what this could be before i phone DHL ?

62 Comments

Beep Code and Description of Problem:
No Beeps Short,
No power, Bad CPU/MB, Loose Peripherals

One Beep
Everything is normal and Computer POSTed fine

Two Beeps
POST/CMOS Error

One Long Beep, One Short Beep
Motherboard Problem

One Long Beep, Two Short Beeps
Video Problem

One Long Beep, Three Short Beeps
Video Problem

Three Long Beeps
Keyboard Error

Repeated Long Beeps
Memory Error

Continuous Hi-Lo Beeps
CPU Overheating

Original Poster

as i've told tara i am off now out with the kids so be back in a bit

Try asking her that if you get it fixed after would she take it back. Most likely the graphics card got damaged on the journey. I would say write to DHL becuase if you labelled it as fragile and it was banged then its their fault.

Banned

think your going to have to find out what is damaged before you can claim anyway

Original Poster

i just messaged her to this thread....it was in a PC box showing a computer and in the description when they asked what it was i did say computer

Original Poster

sassie;6394857

think your going to have to find out what is damaged before you can claim … think your going to have to find out what is damaged before you can claim anyway

thats what we are trying to do

If there is more than one memory stick, then try one at a time.

Be Careful

If you mess with the computer (open it to try and fix it) before making a claim for damage off DHL (or after) then your claim will be invalidated and they can refuse to pay out on the premise that you opened the case therefor you probably damaged it yourself

peodude;6394847

Beep Code and Description of Problem:No Beeps Short, No power, Bad … Beep Code and Description of Problem:No Beeps Short, No power, Bad CPU/MB, Loose PeripheralsOne Beep Everything is normal and Computer POSTed fineTwo Beeps POST/CMOS ErrorOne Long Beep, One Short Beep Motherboard ProblemOne Long Beep, Two Short Beeps Video ProblemOne Long Beep, Three Short Beeps Video ProblemThree Long Beeps Keyboard Error[FONT="Arial Black"]Repeated Long Beeps Memory Error[/FONT]Continuous Hi-Lo Beeps CPU Overheating

I am getting repeated long beeps
i have tried to remove the ram and reinsert it with no luck. Thanks zeus for your help

Banned

tara1082;6394953

I am getting repeated long beepsi have tried to remove the ram and … I am getting repeated long beepsi have tried to remove the ram and reinsert it with no luck. Thanks zeus for your help

when you say you have tried to remove it, do you mean you havent actually removed it or you did manage it and it has made no difference? are you sure it is clicked in properly, sometime they are really stiff

As has been mentioned above see how many sticks are in and try them one at a time.

sassie;6394975

when you say you have tried to remove it, do you mean you havent actually … when you say you have tried to remove it, do you mean you havent actually removed it or you did manage it and it has made no difference? are you sure it is clicked in properly, sometime they are really stiff

Yes there is 4 sticks of ram i have removed all 4 and then put back all clicked in ok and still the same.

Banned

tara1082;6394994

Yes there is 4 sticks of ram i have removed all 4 and then put back all … Yes there is 4 sticks of ram i have removed all 4 and then put back all clicked in ok and still the same.

try one stick, it maybe one or more is damaged

Original Poster

right just phoned dhl and because it was booked through p2g (mistake i know)i have to phone them...i phoned them and have logged a claim and awaiting email insturctions on what to do next. going out now so will reply accordingly this evening on my return

What keyboard are you using ?.If you are using a usb keyboard you may need to use a ps2 one,

zeus9876;6395048

right just phoned dhl and because it was booked through p2g (mistake i … right just phoned dhl and because it was booked through p2g (mistake i know)i have to phone them...i phoned them and have logged a claim and awaiting email insturctions on what to do next. going out now so will reply accordingly this evening on my return

Ok thanks was thing of trying some different ram from a friends computer but the ram for this pc is RIMM and have been told very hard to come by as its old. Thanks all for your help.

tonyg1962;6395064

What keyboard are you using ?.If you are using a usb keyboard you may … What keyboard are you using ?.If you are using a usb keyboard you may need to use a ps2 one,

Am using ps2 keyboard.

tara1082;6395088

Am using ps2 keyboard.

ok:thumbsup:

Banned

have you tried just the one stick?

sassie;6395100

have you tried just the one stick?

Yea when i try just 1 stick its a different beep as in beep pause then beep beep beep. With it only being 128 each stick would it still boot with 1 stick anyway?

zeus9876;6395048

right just phoned dhl and because it was booked through p2g (mistake i … right just phoned dhl and because it was booked through p2g (mistake i know)i have to phone them...i phoned them and have logged a claim and awaiting email insturctions on what to do next. going out now so will reply accordingly this evening on my return

It's not Parcel2Go's fault! They have nothing to do with the service provided, they just MAKE THE BOOKING with DHL.

DHL are the courier, DHL are the people that Picked it up and delivered it. You may have paid P2G so any refunds and claims need to go through them but the empasis should be on DHL and not P2G's fault!

Try 1 stick in dimm slot 2, clear cmos using the jumper or by removing the cmos battery (little round thing in black bracket).

tara1082;6395134

Yea when i try just 1 stick its a different beep as in beep pause then … Yea when i try just 1 stick its a different beep as in beep pause then beep beep beep. With it only being 128 each stick would it still boot with 1 stick anyway?

it will boot with 32mb, just will take forever.

tara1082;6395134

Yea when i try just 1 stick its a different beep as in beep pause then … Yea when i try just 1 stick its a different beep as in beep pause then beep beep beep. With it only being 128 each stick would it still boot with 1 stick anyway?

Yes it will post with one,Have you tried to see if the graphics card is loose?.

Banned

tara1082;6395134

not sure, as phear and a few others are in will let them take over now - lol

Has nobody else realised this is a VERY old computer?
It's probably been dropped by the courier and broken.
The cmos battery could be dead due to it's age

The bios beeps are actually different for each manufacturer's bios, Phoenix bios will have different beeps to other makes.

RImm ram (memory) is Extremely old, and a computer that will boot with 32mb of ram in my view isn't worth having these days anyway

The board should have a D-LED troubleshooting display on it:

forum-en.msi.com/ind…5.0

Can you confirm this and what the pattern is?

PhearFactor;6395148

Try 1 stick in dimm slot 2, clear cmos using the jumper or by removing … Try 1 stick in dimm slot 2, clear cmos using the jumper or by removing the cmos battery (little round thing in black bracket).

Tried that also just beeps then pause then beep beep beep.:thumbsup:

karenhornby;6395184

Has nobody else realised this is a VERY old computer? It's probably been … Has nobody else realised this is a VERY old computer? It's probably been dropped by the courier and broken.The cmos battery could be dead due to it's age

Computer will still boot with a dead CMOS battery.

karenhornby;6395184

The bios beeps are actually different for each manufacturer's bios, … The bios beeps are actually different for each manufacturer's bios, Phoenix bios will have different beeps to other makes.

The board has D-LED, this is what should be used instead of the beeps.

karenhornby;6395184

RImm ram (memory) is Extremely old, and a computer that will boot with … RImm ram (memory) is Extremely old, and a computer that will boot with 32mb of ram in my view isn't worth having these days anyway

The computer was sold with 512mb, thats 128mb x 4.

tara1082;6395200

Tried that also just beeps then pause then beep beep beep.:thumbsup:

What does the D-LED say, if the board even has one?

Use the information in my previous post.

PhearFactor;6395188

The board should have a D-LED troubleshooting display on … The board should have a D-LED troubleshooting display on it:http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=9efd72b79136eb8bd321171147e71cf5&topic=34535.0Can you confirm this and what the pattern is?

I cant find this anywhere?

tara1082;6395251

I cant find this anywhere?

They are either on the motherboard or on the back of the PC case.

Try reseating the graphics card leaving just 1 stick of memory in. Also, have you cleared the CMOS yet?

Sounds like a dead graphics card which is usually the first thing to be damaged if it has been dropped,

PhearFactor;6395276

They are either on the motherboard or on the back of the PC case.Try … They are either on the motherboard or on the back of the PC case.Try reseating the graphics card leaving just 1 stick of memory in. Also, have you cleared the CMOS yet?

I removed the battery you where talking about for about 30 seconds,i am trying it now with just 1 stick its doing nothing.

tonyg1962;6395278

Sounds like a dead graphics card which is usually the first thing to be … Sounds like a dead graphics card which is usually the first thing to be damaged if it has been dropped,

Strange how it beeped with a memory issue though then changed beep when only 1 dimm was used.

Good way to find out if it is the gcard is by removing it and seeing if the beep is the same as with it installed.

dcx_badass;6395308

I don't think it's the GPU it should boot without one. Providing it has … I don't think it's the GPU it should boot without one. Providing it has inbuilt.

It doesn't.

tara1082;6395296

I removed the battery you where talking about for about 30 seconds,i am … I removed the battery you where talking about for about 30 seconds,i am trying it now with just 1 stick its doing nothing.

Doing nothing?

Have you got it hooked up to a monitor?

dcx_badass;6395351

The specs haven't been posted so how do you know them?

They have been posted.

Banned

dcx_badass;6395351

The specs haven't been posted so how do you know them?

from the fs thread :-D

PhearFactor;6395349

Doing nothing?Have you got it hooked up to a monitor?

Yes is hooked up to a monitor. I give up...lol

PhearFactor;6395349

Doing nothing?Have you got it hooked up to a monitor?

PhearFactor;6395362

They have been posted.

Intel P4 1.8ghz
MS-6339 mobo
512mb ram
GeForce FX5900XT
Freecom CD-RW
120gb HDD
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. hOW SHOCKED WERE YOU AT THE GLASGOW FRUIT MARKET CONFLAGRATION??99
    2. Now TV CODES - Free Sky Entertainment/Kids/Cinema/Sports1016
    3. Xbox One - Buying from Other Regions *WITH* A VPN (Virtual Private Network)49394
    4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764037

See more discussions