DHL express charges, advise please!

Found 21st Mar
I have bought few items online from Australia, today i received a text from DHL to pay importation charges of £31
I have called them to check where the parcel is, and they told me its still in Sydney.
So how the parcel has been cleared and taxed before it reaches the UK?
And why they are charging me this big amount comparing to the value of the parcel?
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Felicitous2 h, 39 m ago

if those admin charges weren't stated at the time of purchase the the fee …if those admin charges weren't stated at the time of purchase the the fee is unenforcable as it's not required by law to pay unlike VAT and it's not specified as a delivery charge when shopping online ever

Nonsense
10 Comments
Banned
Depends what it is you have ordered plus why would they ship it here for you to refuse to pay the charges then have to return it. Makes perfect sense.
20% VAT on the purchase price and shipping cost as well as a DHL admin fee of around £11-14.
Graham197924 m ago

Depends what it is you have ordered plus why would they ship it here for …Depends what it is you have ordered plus why would they ship it here for you to refuse to pay the charges then have to return it. Makes perfect sense.

From past experience it’s been UK customs that open the package and slap the charge on it, and then DHL/whatever courier passes on that cost plus +/- £10 - £15 ‘admin charge’.
Edited by: "sicklysweet" 22nd Mar
sicklysweet2 h, 34 m ago

From past experience it’s been UK customs that open the package and slap t …From past experience it’s been UK customs that open the package and slap the charge on it, and then DHL/whatever courier passes on that cost plus +/- £10 - £15 ‘admin charge’.

if those admin charges weren't stated at the time of purchase the the fee is unenforcable as it's not required by law to pay unlike VAT and it's not specified as a delivery charge when shopping online ever
Felicitous2 h, 39 m ago

if those admin charges weren't stated at the time of purchase the the fee …if those admin charges weren't stated at the time of purchase the the fee is unenforcable as it's not required by law to pay unlike VAT and it's not specified as a delivery charge when shopping online ever

Nonsense
Welcome to the world of imports, your first mistake was using DHL instead of taking the risk of standard uninsured local postal service delivery.

DHL collect the charges on customs behalf and are well known not to pass them onto customs so you then get charged again when UK customs get it, then you have to get shouty about it to try and get your money back.

I believe the rules are anything over £12 in value gets a charge slapped on it and a minimum of £11 will be the handling fee for doing so.
Edited by: "Segata-Sanshiro" 22nd Mar
chocci55 m ago

Nonsense

sicklysweet6 h, 10 m ago

From past experience it’s been UK customs that open the package and slap t …From past experience it’s been UK customs that open the package and slap the charge on it, and then DHL/whatever courier passes on that cost plus +/- £10 - £15 ‘admin charge’.

hotukdeals.com/dis…829

see details here, it's very easy to do
Original Poster
sicklysweet6 h, 54 m ago

Yes i agree with that but the parcel did not arrive to the UK yet! So who opened the parcel and add that customs fees?
Felicitous56 m ago

https://www.hotukdeals.com/discussions/fedex-1200-acceptance-fee-charges-are-unenforceable-free-email-template-to-get-a-revised-invoice-2870829see details here, it's very easy to do

That refers specifically to FedEx who employ their own clearance agents to work on behalf of HMRC . DHL and most other carriers dont do this.
I sent several parcels to the US in the last few months with iPostparcels (they're essentially UKMail).

They partner with DHL for international deliveries and sometimes had the parcels pre-cleared in the UK already, looking at the DHL tracking I obtain from iPostparcels (guess it depends on the contents).

It's very possible DHL have done the same in your case.
Express delivery in my case too (it's the only option anyway with iPostparcels and very reasonably priced).
Edited by: "hearts22" 24th Mar
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions