Groups

DHL VAT duty invoice.

I brought a item from China.

Is was dispatched via DHL and marked up as a Sample with a $35 cost.

Today I have been posted a DHL invoice for import vat / or duty invoice...

My item is showing as £21, but the shipping was £68, so the cost for customs is £89.

They want £15 off me....

In the documentation and HMRC link, it states that if marked as sample I qualify for tax relief and I need to write to them quoting my customs reference... I can't get a customs reference for this, as I can not find out how or if they are available from the HMRC...

Are DHL trying it on, anyone got any advice???

3 Comments

Vat is also payable on a percentage of the shipping costs. DHL will also charge you a handling fee for outlaying Customs fees on your behalf.

£ 89.00 x 15% Vat = £ 13.35

Add DHL handling charge and £ 15.00 is about correct.

See if you can get a copy of the DHL Customs Entry or Invoice and i will have a look at it for you as i work for a shipping agent.

Original Poster

fomancs;6827706

Vat is also payable on a percentage of the shipping costs. DHL will also … Vat is also payable on a percentage of the shipping costs. DHL will also charge you a handling fee for outlaying Customs fees on your behalf.£ 89.00 x 15% Vat = £ 13.35 Add DHL handling charge and £ 15.00 is about correct. See if you can get a copy of the DHL Customs Entry or Invoice and i will have a look at it for you as i work for a shipping agent.

They have sent me a copy of the dhl import and/or duty invoice which looks correct.

They have calculated it from the Invoice paperwork attached to the parcel which they have also sent me a copy. The invoice clearly states SAMPLE.NO COMMERCIAL VALUE with unit price of $35

You should not pay customs VAT or duty on samples, they should have entered these to customs with a different CPC code which gives relief from VAT & duty
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …4952442
      2. 41% of 40-60 year olds do not go for a brisk walk of >10 minutes A MONTH!810
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764716
      4. GCSE Results day78

See more discussions