DHL VAT duty invoice.

Found 9th Nov 2009
I brought a item from China.

Is was dispatched via DHL and marked up as a Sample with a $35 cost.

Today I have been posted a DHL invoice for import vat / or duty invoice...

My item is showing as £21, but the shipping was £68, so the cost for customs is £89.

They want £15 off me....

In the documentation and HMRC link, it states that if marked as sample I qualify for tax relief and I need to write to them quoting my customs reference... I can't get a customs reference for this, as I can not find out how or if they are available from the HMRC...

Are DHL trying it on, anyone got any advice???
Community Updates
MiscCall Of Duty
3 Comments
Vat is also payable on a percentage of the shipping costs. DHL will also charge you a handling fee for outlaying Customs fees on your behalf.

£ 89.00 x 15% Vat = £ 13.35

Add DHL handling charge and £ 15.00 is about correct.

See if you can get a copy of the DHL Customs Entry or Invoice and i will have a look at it for you as i work for a shipping agent.
Original Poster
fomancs;6827706

Vat is also payable on a percentage of the shipping costs. DHL will also … Vat is also payable on a percentage of the shipping costs. DHL will also charge you a handling fee for outlaying Customs fees on your behalf.£ 89.00 x 15% Vat = £ 13.35 Add DHL handling charge and £ 15.00 is about correct. See if you can get a copy of the DHL Customs Entry or Invoice and i will have a look at it for you as i work for a shipping agent.

They have sent me a copy of the dhl import and/or duty invoice which looks correct.

They have calculated it from the Invoice paperwork attached to the parcel which they have also sent me a copy. The invoice clearly states SAMPLE.NO COMMERCIAL VALUE with unit price of $35
You should not pay customs VAT or duty on samples, they should have entered these to customs with a different CPC code which gives relief from VAT & duty
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants