Expired

Dictaphone/encryption advice please

Found 5th Apr
Hi

I am training as a Talking Therapist.

I have to take recordings of client sessions (with their permission) to Clinical Supervision.

The university has forbidden us from using tablets or phones to record and present the information.

A lot of the students are buying dictaphones. Personally I don't understand the difference in recording onto a dictaphone and recording onto my phone. The word 'encryption' keeps being used, but to be honest I'm not really sure what it is (other than knowing it's a security measure obviously)

D loes anyone have any advice before I go and buy yet another gadget please?

Thank you xx
Community Updates
Ask
8 Comments
Its a policy made by idiots... you can walk out the session with the recording device - press play and record it to your phone... utter lunacy.

But unfortunately it is the sort of policy many places adopt.
Broadly; a phone or tablet etc is set up by the manufacturers to listen, record and transmit not just your conversations that you intend but ANYTHING IT HEARS. And when you agree to those pesky Ts&Cs, you agree they can do what they want with the information.

Encryption merely means the signal is encoded in transit - between sender and recipient. Think of the warm time days when encrypted Nazi msgs went to Bletchley Park and the teams there decrypted them.

In its traditional sense, a Dictaphone has no onward transmission facility. However, I wouldn't like to bet what goes on today if the dictaphone is plugged into a PC and some 'helpful' manufacturers software is downloaded to make your life 'easier'.

If you are being advised by a professional body or teaching authority, then follow their advice. If for no other reason than you have someone to blame.
joanddan76 m ago

Its a policy made by idiots... you can walk out the session with the …Its a policy made by idiots... you can walk out the session with the recording device - press play and record it to your phone... utter lunacy.But unfortunately it is the sort of policy many places adopt.

no its idiots that are incapable of following the policy.

these are private conversations, policy is there to have a papertrail of that converstion and prevent unauthorised people to see it.

exactly the same policies are implemented in the NHS and other public institutions.

but let me ask you, if you knew someone was recording a private conversation with you, what would make you happier? knowing that its kept securely or somewhare on a phone that other people can access?
mattsk7 m ago

no its idiots that are incapable of following the policy.these are private …no its idiots that are incapable of following the policy.these are private conversations, policy is there to have a papertrail of that converstion and prevent unauthorised people to see it.exactly the same policies are implemented in the NHS and other public institutions.but let me ask you, if you knew someone was recording a private conversation with you, what would make you happier? knowing that its kept securely or somewhare on a phone that other people can access?

I wouldn't care. It makes no difference as its easy for a person to transfer it. People are obsessed with people hacking and stealing stuff and for 95% of the population that will never ever be an issue. So I don't believe that a recording device that can play back or create a audio file is anymore secure than a phone. Some of the Privacy policies adopted by the NHS hinder them massively.

Its far more likely (that rather than some external hacker) it will be someone with access to the recording that will breach the confidence.

But conspiracy threories are cool aren't they.
Thank you everyone for input. Looks like I'm buying a dictaphone then . Xx
joanddan73 h, 45 m ago

Yeah and.....the last thing to worry about is the mp3 they have of me …Yeah and.....the last thing to worry about is the mp3 they have of me moaning I don’t like my job/my neighbours.... or a private conversation with my GP about my asthma.... the hackers are welcome to it

ok, lets make it easier for you to comprehend..... why dont you share naked photos and videos of yourself, together with your full name, address, date of birth....

maybe now you will understand
What to you have to take them on, removable media, or the device itself - some audio recorders use a card, others use a card - if you have to present it for evaluation / review.

Not sure that the cheap digital recorders would encrypt, but the key point is probably that they do not do anything other than record - they are not Wifi or mobile connected. But they would generally have a USB connection.
mattsk6 h, 28 m ago

ok, lets make it easier for you to comprehend..... why dont you share …ok, lets make it easier for you to comprehend..... why dont you share naked photos and videos of yourself, together with your full name, address, date of birth....maybe now you will understand

How is that relevant to a conversation about recording a interview on a phone Vs a dictaphone that creates a audio file.

If the convo was about protecting Sting photos and personal banking details and identification- I’d have been on the side of caution from the start.

This is a convo about what devices to use when recording conversations.

If anything you have made my point - an audio file uploaded from a recording device to a pc is far more at risk that a recorder just used from an independent phone....
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants