Did Anyone Else Buy The Prime Day 65" Sony 65S8005C TV?

Found 21st Jul 2016
Hello,

I picked up this TV on Prime Day and im just worried about a few things… Does anyone else own this and have the same?

Ive noticed that a lot of the reviews say the 3D doesnt work right - which to test, will cost me £40 for a pair of 3D glasses. Im already out quite a bit because ive had to buy a 4K Player and movies just to test the clarity of that… Which doesn’t seem to be 4k (nothing like the demo discs you see in the shops). It’s a 4K Player, playing 4K UHDs, my only assumption is that the cable im using is HDMI 1.0 and not 2.0a?

At the moment, the TV has a 'cloud' of light in the bottom left hand corner (I have photos of this but no option to attach/upload). Like a bloom of light in the bottom left corner, so when the screen goes black – either when finding the input or if theres a black screen in a TV show, its really noticeable.

It also doesnt always respond to the remote - like switching it off - or it does something different - like change the channel.

I know the reviews said the USB playback was a bit agonising but the playback seems disjointed too, as its constantly stopping saying "Unsupported Format", yet ive watching 10 minutes of it prior to it telling me this. It also sometimes doesnt even read the device at all.

Theres just lots that are starting to worry me and before I chance it with any more purchases (i.e 3D Glasses, Soundbar etc), I just wondered if anyone else can let me know their experiences with it.

Its got something like 4.4 out of 5.0 on Amazon – so I thought I was on to an absolute winner having held off pulling the trigger on a TV for ages.

19 Comments

I don't have that TV but did you check to see if there was a system update? I have another Sony tv and it had about 3 updates to be done, that might sort the USB playback.

The white cloud could b/c its a poor example of the screen?

I am a fleet manager and sometimes read peoples reviews of cars and think, what are they saying (!?) and what is their justification for that opinion. I think the same applies to reviews on amazon "haven't had a new TV for 10 years and this one is amazing" is all the wrong things to read in to imo.

I'd read that the 3D issue had been solved by one of the later firmware updates on the 8005 series. As for the UHD player, is it the Samsung or Panasonic (the latter comes with its own HDMI cable so I'd try that first)? You could have a look on AVForums too and see if anyone else is complaining about the same combination of kit that you have. I must admit that UHD discs and getting them to work isn't as straightforward as blu-rays, possibly because we're still on the bleeding edge of the format being released. It took quite a bit of fiddling on both sides to get the Panasonic player to say hello and send 4k over to my Samsung TV.

Edited by: "IndianaBlues" 21st Jul 2016

Original Poster

Cheers chaps, yes - I did discount at lot of reviews that say "This makes me Sanyo 32" look rubbish!"

Ive read as much as I can about HDMI 2.0 and the whole GB/s discussions - and ive ordered some cables - so will see if that changes anything.

Yes, checked for updates - the TV is wired too, rather than wireless, as apparantly the only way to get Netflix 4K is through a TV and not (for example) Xbox One. The 4K Player has it too, but it seems a lot clunkier. I have the Samsung UHD-K8500 (off the top of my head).

It had a front loading USB slot too and I tried a gajillion files through that - some played - but most of them were unsupported format. Which was rubbish.

If the white cloud is perhaps where its been knocked or something (or just not built right), then I think I might get them to send a replacement... That might at least solve some problems - and then I can see if the other problems are the TV itself.

Silhouette

Cheers chaps, yes - I did discount at lot of reviews that say "This makes … Cheers chaps, yes - I did discount at lot of reviews that say "This makes me Sanyo 32" look rubbish!"Ive read as much as I can about HDMI 2.0 and the whole GB/s discussions - and ive ordered some cables - so will see if that changes anything.Yes, checked for updates - the TV is wired too, rather than wireless, as apparantly the only way to get Netflix 4K is through a TV and not (for example) Xbox One. The 4K Player has it too, but it seems a lot clunkier. I have the Samsung UHD-K8500 (off the top of my head).It had a front loading USB slot too and I tried a gajillion files through that - some played - but most of them were unsupported format. Which was rubbish.If the white cloud is perhaps where its been knocked or something (or just not built right), then I think I might get them to send a replacement... That might at least solve some problems - and then I can see if the other problems are the TV itself.

​youve wasted money on '2.0 cables' as all high speed HDMI cables are the same. its the devices which govern the standard.

Original Poster

adamspencer95

​youve wasted money on '2.0 cables' as all high speed HDMI cables are the … ​youve wasted money on '2.0 cables' as all high speed HDMI cables are the same. its the devices which govern the standard.

From what I gathered from a LOT of reading - is that HDMI 1.0/1.4 can only pass a maximum of 10GBs of data through them. Where as 2.0 carries 17 (some as high as 27).

And for 4K - you need that 17 as a minimum. So yes, bought HDMI 2.0 cables instead of 1.0/1.4/1.4a.

These glasses should work. I've used cheaper one's on my Samsung but these are far superior and cheaper than Sony's. You can buy single pairs but this is for 2 for £30. amazon.co.uk/Exc…ses

Also get the 2.0 HDMI but you don't have to pay a fortune, check Amazon.

Original Poster

dereklogan7

Also get the 2.0 HDMI but you don't have to pay a fortune, check Amazon.

After all the reviews I read the Amazon Basics actually got really good reviews. So for £7 for a two pack, ive taken a punt.

I'd concentrate on the backlight bleed problem before spending any more money. Does it happen on all sources? Try turn backlight to minimum to see if that helps.

all you downvoters need to read

https://turbofuture.com/computers/do-i-need-hdmi-cable-4k-hdmi-20-guide.

all high speed hdmi cables are capable of utilising the 2.0 standard

Original Poster

adamspencer95

all high speed hdmi cables are capable of utilising the 2.0 standard

But are HDMI 1.0 considered "High Speed" HDMI? I didnt think they was?

there no such thing as a '1.0 cable'. it is the device the cable is plugged into which governs what revision it operates at, which is why spending more on '2.0 cables' is just a gimmick. the only difference is if it contains an ethernet channel or not.

Original Poster

adamspencer95

there no such thing as a '1.0 cable'

That cant possibly be right, otherwise every seller would sell every cable stating it was 1.0/1.4/1.4a/2.0/2.0a... which they dont. They call it one or the other.

All the tech reviews I read specifially mention HDMI 1.0, capable of 10GB/s and HDMI 2.0 capable of 17GB/s

If theres no difference, then surely trading standards would be all over this.

Back light bleed, I'd be sending it straight back.

Silhouette

That cant possibly be right, otherwise every seller would sell every … That cant possibly be right, otherwise every seller would sell every cable stating it was 1.0/1.4/1.4a/2.0/2.0a... which they dont. They call it one or the other.All the tech reviews I read specifially mention HDMI 1.0, capable of 10GB/s and HDMI 2.0 capable of 17GB/sIf theres no difference, then surely trading standards would be all over this.

​its a marketing gimmick to appeal to people who dont know about HDMI standards. i think it was meant to be banned to reference the HDMI version, but whether it happened is another story. the CONNECTORS on the input and output govern the standard. all high speed HDMI cables can work with all devices up to and including 2.0 (4K@60hz) as they all have the same pin layout. all the cable is is metal in insulation, how can this differ between revisions?

the only difference more expensive cables can make is if you are making long cable runs and require more structural integrity (i.e embedded in a wall) and minimises the chance of signal loss.

HDMI is a digital signal so its either on or off (works or doesnt work) theres no inbetween.

Original Poster

adamspencer95

HDMI is a digital signal so its either on or off (works or doesnt work) … HDMI is a digital signal so its either on or off (works or doesnt work) theres no inbetween.

Interesting. I may well have a play.

I have a 4K Player, playing a 4K UHD, using a (apparantly 2.0) HDMI cable, into my 4K TV (which on screen info tells me is playing at 2160p

However,

It looks nothing like the demo discs you see at Currys. Id argue that I cant personally tell the difference between 2160 and 1080...

Am I missing something? Is this back to the whole "But the film was filmed in 35mm and converted to not *true* 4K" etc etc.

The UHD Disc in question is Deadpool.

Silhouette

Interesting. I may well have a play.I have a 4K Player, playing a 4K UHD, … Interesting. I may well have a play.I have a 4K Player, playing a 4K UHD, using a (apparantly 2.0) HDMI cable, into my 4K TV (which on screen info tells me is playing at 2160pHowever,It looks nothing like the demo discs you see at Currys. Id argue that I cant personally tell the difference between 2160 and 1080...Am I missing something? Is this back to the whole "But the film was filmed in 35mm and converted to not *true* 4K" etc etc.The UHD Disc in question is Deadpool.

Depends how close to the tv you are. If you are sitting more than 6 feet from the tv, you probably won't notice any difference between 1080P and 4k.that's why it looks great in currys as you normally stand really close to the tv.

Original Poster

chocci

Depends how close to the tv you are. If you are sitting more than 6 feet … Depends how close to the tv you are. If you are sitting more than 6 feet from the tv, you probably won't notice any difference between 1080P and 4k.that's why it looks great in currys as you normally stand really close to the tv.

Ive tried both. In John Lewis, I walk past them and think "holy bejesus!" then I sit in their little entertainment demo room and thats probably further away than my TV where I sit.

I just havent seen any content on it and thought "Daaaaamn".

Even Ultra HD Netflix, which I paid to upgrade and run straight off the TV on a wired network, because its the only source you can get 4K - doesnt really look any different.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions