Groups

Did anyone watch channel 4 last night?

Who watched 'I am the elephant man' on channel 4 at 9pm last night? I'm never really been 'affected' by anything on tv or film, but that program actually hit me! I felt really sad after watching it. And as for the pig scene......that was probably the most horrific scene I've ever seen.

Did anyone else feel like this?

18 Comments

yep it affected me and my partner

I've got this on Sky + ready to watch later today .................. yes it looks really interesting & I will post back here with my views later !

I guess that one should just be contented with whatever you have as long as you have good health because , that could have been anyone. so sad!

Banned

Yeh I saw it and was actually going to post something on it when it was live.

There was a pretty similar one the previous week with a guy from Portugal.

The whole thing doesn't bare thinking about!

Original Poster

It does kinda make you feel a lot happier about your own life doesn't it. Beyond the poor man's condition I was also shocked by the state of his village and the conditions he was living in!

Yes it was very sad, we dont know how lucky we are.

yeh i thought exactly the same after watching the pig scene, so cruel it seriously made me want to not eat meat, but im ashamed to say i will carry on eating meat.

Can anyone give a brief summary of this may check it out and a description of the 'pig scene' my wife doesn't like blood so a heads up on gruesomeness would be appreciated.

03bintls;1854439

It does kinda make you feel a lot happier about your own life doesn't it. … It does kinda make you feel a lot happier about your own life doesn't it. Beyond the poor man's condition I was also shocked by the state of his village and the conditions he was living in!

I'm with you partway there but, at the same time, there was nothing stopping any of the menfolk putting down the playing cards for a bit, taking a pail of water giving the kitchen walls a scrub and just cleaning the place inside and out.

Original Poster

Alfonse;1854681

Can anyone give a brief summary of this may check it out and a … Can anyone give a brief summary of this may check it out and a description of the 'pig scene' my wife doesn't like blood so a heads up on gruesomeness would be appreciated.

Basically its a 31 year old chinese man who has a massive tumor on his face, making him seriously deformed. He goes for an operation to remove it since his family couldn't afford it earlier - they live in a very run down village in china.

And the pig scene........during a funeral or something they slaughter a live pig. The squeeling the poor animal makes is horiffic and they clearly show the men shoving a pole in and out of its neck to kill it. Horrible scene.

Original Poster

Some_Bloke;1854846

I'm with you partway there but, at the same time, there was nothing … I'm with you partway there but, at the same time, there was nothing stopping any of the menfolk putting down the playing cards for a bit, taking a pail of water giving the kitchen walls a scrub and just cleaning the place inside and out.

Lol i know what you mean! But I can appreciate that the playing of cards is only a very very small part of their life - they must spend almost every hour on their farming so they earn their living. No doubt a lot of the scene were just filmed for the docu.

03bintls;1854990

Basically its a 31 year old chinese man who has a massive tumor on his … Basically its a 31 year old chinese man who has a massive tumor on his face, making him seriously deformed. He goes for an operation to remove it since his family couldn't afford it earlier - they live in a very run down village in china.And the pig scene........during a funeral or something they slaughter a live pig. The squeeling the poor animal makes is horiffic and they clearly show the men shoving a pole in and out of its neck to kill it. Horrible scene.

Hmmm, ok sounds alright may have to refrain the wife from this one. thanks repped.

The poor poor animal. This was the most horrific scene of animal cruelty I have ever seen. Had to switch over. I am vegetarian and will never return to eating meat.

LJM;1856889

The poor poor animal. This was the most horrific scene of animal cruelty … The poor poor animal. This was the most horrific scene of animal cruelty I have ever seen. Had to switch over. I am vegetarian and will never return to eating meat.

Dudes have got to eat, how you think your caveman ancestors killed prey, with a stun gun?

Original Poster

kungfu;1856914

Dudes have got to eat, how you think your caveman ancestors killed prey, … Dudes have got to eat, how you think your caveman ancestors killed prey, with a stun gun?

I agree with what you are getting at. I think we all know that this cruelity exists but seeing it like that......
    And I can see where these 'I'm never going to eat meat again' comments are coming from, but at least most of our meat doesn't come around from that. Surely its 'over and done with' without scenes like that.

I watched some of it , sad story indeed , didn't see the end though , so I dont know what happened to the man. As for some of the stuff shown on channel 4 , I remember a few years ago there was a documentary about a chinese village and the locals , there were 2 brothers one of them wanting date a girl in the village . She rejected his advances ,and they sliced in half a goat belonging to the girls father, all done in front of the camera . Not a pretty site , why a producer would want to show such horific acts is beyond me BUT they do .

kungfu;1856914

Dudes have got to eat, how you think your caveman ancestors killed prey, … Dudes have got to eat, how you think your caveman ancestors killed prey, with a stun gun?

true, but in this day and age there are painless ways of slaughtering animals, they should have stunned it 1st really at a licensed slaughter house really.

Original Poster

ricko;1858022

I watched some of it , sad story indeed , didn't see the end though , so … I watched some of it , sad story indeed , didn't see the end though , so I dont know what happened to the man. As for some of the stuff shown on channel 4 , I remember a few years ago there was a documentary about a chinese village and the locals , there were 2 brothers one of them wanting date a girl in the village . She rejected his advances ,and they sliced in half a goat belonging to the girls father, all done in front of the camera . Not a pretty site , why a producer would want to show such horific acts is beyond me BUT they do .

Thats kind of what tv is all about though isn't it...showing us what happens in life all over the world. I guess this is just how people live their lives.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. miikeyblue and shabbird's (but mostly shabbird's) Tuesday night pub quiz!563844
      2. Fakespot.com Amazon fake review detector.711
      3. Show us your Photos 2017. September's Theme - 'Earth, Wind & Fire'32455
      4. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047204

See more discussions