Did Hitari sell counterfeit PS3 Dualshock controllers?

Found 15th Feb 2012
I bought a PS3 Dualshock from Hitari 2 days ago through this deal hotukdeals.com/tag/dea…e=2 and it arrived today.

However, there are reasons that I suspect it may be a counterfeit one. I've listed the reasons on the deal thread but I'll also copy them here for convenience's sake.

They are as follows:

1. The bottom of the chamfered edge of the box reads "deep red". I don't know what that's referring to or if it's code for something else, but the controller is definitely black.
2. The sticker on the back is off-center.
3. The model number on the box reads "CECHZC2U" but the model number on the back of the controller reads "CECHZC2H", which I believe is a Hong Kong model number.
4. On close inspection of the shoulder buttons, there are small discrepancies between those on the new controller and the ones on my original controller. The numbers on the new controller are not as deeply engraved into the buttons and are a larger or slightly different font compared to my original. The face underneath the "ledge" on the back of the L2 and R2 buttons (the part where you can't see when the buttons are pressed down) are completely smooth and shiny, whereas on my original it has that "rough" texture look that makes it less shiny (like on the rest of the controller).
5. The new one is currently on charge but the red light doesn't flash in a consistent pattern. Sometimes the light flashes off for a second or two before it goes onto the next flash, sometimes the light stays on half a second longer than it should before it goes off. I can't remember for sure but I think my original just does consistent, even flashes when it's being charged. (Can someone confirm?)

I only bought from Hitari because other HUKD'ers said they were trustworthy in the deal thread. Has anyone else bought one from them? What are your thoughts? Should I take it up with Hitari?

On a side note, if this really is a fake then it's probably one of the best fakes in existence. I'd happily pay £15 for it. Lol. (After actually testing it I think I would only part with a fiver. xD)
Community Updates
30 Comments
Hi,

I am very disappointed to hear about the issue you are having with your order.

If you are not fully satisfied with your order and/or having any issues with the item you purchased please get in touch with us and we will be happy to help you in every way possible.

However, I can assure you that the item your purchased from us and all products that we sell on our website are brand new, UK stock with full 12 months warranty - we do not sell any fake or counterfeit and have never had any comments of this nature ever before - our 25.5K positive feedbacks on our eBay account speaks for itself as we are the 3rd biggest eBay UK store on the Video Games Category based on the sale volume and we have sold hundreds of these controllers without any issues.

I hope that helped clear the issue above and if you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us via the contact details below:

E: info@hitari.co.uk
T: 08443189601

Thank you,
Original Poster
hitari

Hi,I am very disappointed to hear about the issue you are having with … Hi,I am very disappointed to hear about the issue you are having with your order. If you are not fully satisfied with your order and/or having any issues with the item you purchased please get in touch with us and we will be happy to help you in every way possible.However, I can assure you that the item your purchased from us and all products that we sell on our website are brand new, UK stock with full 12 months warranty - we do not sell any fake or counterfeit and have never had any comments of this nature ever before - our 25.5K positive feedbacks on our eBay account speaks for itself as we are the 3rd biggest eBay UK store on the Video Games Category based on the sale volume and we have sold hundreds of these controllers without any issues.I hope that helped clear the issue above and if you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us via the contact details below:E: info@hitari.co.ukT: 08443189601Thank you,

Ok, I can now pretty much conclude that it is definitely a fake. Why? Because there is no reset button. It's just a hole in the case with nothing behind it, I can even see the charging LED flashing through it. Disappointed with Hitari, never dealing with them again. Will be sending an angry e-mail their way after actually having tried the controller first. If I can find faults with the actual functions of the controller (bluetooth, vibration, six-axis etc.) then there's more I can add to the list and I can sound even more angry.

Edit: But thanks Hitari for replying. I hope I'll be able to get a full refund or if possible, an exchange for a genuine one. It sounds like you guys aren't in the know as well. You say that you sell UK stock, but the model number on the box of the controller already contradicts that. After some research, CECHZC2U seems to be the model number of the controllers that are bought in the US. The original controller that came with my PS3 had a model number of CECHZC2E, with the "E" presumably standing for Europe. The model number on this new controller is CECHZC2H which points to Hong Kong stock.

Correct me if I'm wrong the the last letter standing for a different region thing, but the model number on the box not matching the one on the controller is enough proof I think to say that there's something suspicious going on. If I were you guys, I would seriously be checking up on your suppliers.

Edited by: "jk12324" 16th Feb 2012
Original Poster
jonnyq

Any chance you can post pictures of the controller?

I will, but it may not be until tomorrow night since I have uni tomorrow and it's getting quite late.
good quality pads
Original Poster
jonnyq

Are the plastic edges flush or sharp?Does the button colours look … Are the plastic edges flush or sharp?Does the button colours look slightly subdued compared to the original (you can notice this more with the square button)? The flashing lights should be consistent, from what you've mentioned, It does sound like a fake.

Are you talking about where the two halves of the case joins? It definitely feels sharp when you run your palm or thumb up and down it, especially along the bottom where it seems the top half protrudes slightly out. Not getting that with my original.

And yeah, the colours of the face buttons are definitely sharper on my original. The buttons on my original are a bit shinier as well though that may be through use.

The font on the back sticker on the new one is different than my original's. The original had more bold, you'll see it in the pics when I upload them tomorrow.

Also, just had a test run of the new one on one game of MW3. The sticks were stiff, I was either not turning quick enough or I turn too much. The vibration on the new one was also nowhere near what I get with my original (I switched controllers mid-game and I was just spraying my rifle at a wall, so I definitely felt a difference).

Oh well, I'll deal with all this tomorrow. Off to bed now.
Banned
hitari

Hi,I am very disappointed to hear about the issue you are having with … Hi,I am very disappointed to hear about the issue you are having with your order. If you are not fully satisfied with your order and/or having any issues with the item you purchased please get in touch with us and we will be happy to help you in every way possible.However, I can assure you that the item your purchased from us and all products that we sell on our website are brand new, UK stock with full 12 months warranty - we do not sell any fake or counterfeit and have never had any comments of this nature ever before - our 25.5K positive feedbacks on our eBay account speaks for itself as we are the 3rd biggest eBay UK store on the Video Games Category based on the sale volume and we have sold hundreds of these controllers without any issues.I hope that helped clear the issue above and if you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us via the contact details below:E: info@hitari.co.ukT: 08443189601Thank you,

Don't worry too much, you won't get banned from here for selling fakes as long as you sponsor a couple of competitions.
Would be fuming if this happened to me! Let me know how the refund/exchange goes
Panper91

good quality pads

You signed up just to post 3 words? (BTW most people would call it a controller)

And being almost exactly 1 hour after Hitari signed up, some folk may see a conspiracy
Original Poster
Will upload pictures soon.
I have a deep red PS3 controller, and the model number is CECHZC2E

The reset button(black) is clearly visible.
jk12324

Will upload pictures soon.

Also see:
[ hotukdeals.com/mis…528 ]

fanpages

FYI:"Thread: Gameyeeeah.com and PS3 controller model # CECHZC2H - FAKE!"[ … FYI:"Thread: Gameyeeeah.com and PS3 controller model # CECHZC2H - FAKE!"[ http://forums.redflagdeals.com/gameyeeeah-com-ps3-controller-model-cechzc2h-fake-807195/ ]

BFN,

fp.
Original Poster
Alright here are the pics. Not the best pics since I took them with my Sony Ericsson K810i but good enough. I'll just be referring to the new one as fake from now on because I'm now sure it is.

[img]desmond.imageshack.us/Him…php?server=814&filename=dsc02547l.jpg&res=medium[/img]
"Deep Red", there must be something wrong with my eyes cos I'm seeing a black controller.

[img]desmond.imageshack.us/Him…php?server=824&filename=dsc02552h.jpg&res=medium[/img]
Notice "CECHZC2U" on the box, which is the model number of US controllers.

Fake:
[img]desmond.imageshack.us/Him…php?server=845&filename=dsc02560rh.jpg&res=medium[/img]
"CECHZC2H", a Hong Kong model number. Does not match the model number on the box. The sticker's also way off-center.

Real:
[img]desmond.imageshack.us/Him…php?server=710&filename=dsc02602j.jpg&res=medium[/img]
Stuck nicely in position. Notice slight font differences compared with the fake.

Original Poster
Fake:
[img]desmond.imageshack.us/Him…php?server=843&filename=dsc02591oq.jpg&res=medium[/img]

Real:
[img]desmond.imageshack.us/Him…php?server=840&filename=dsc02594q.jpg&res=medium[/img]
Notice the slight differences. Biggest giveaway being the ending position of the word "start"

Fake:
[img]desmond.imageshack.us/Him…php?server=692&filename=dsc02595zx.jpg&res=medium[/img]

Real:
[img]desmond.imageshack.us/Him…php?server=703&filename=dsc02596wp.jpg&res=medium[/img]
I'm trying to show point no.4 in my original post here but it's quite hard to tell from the picture. Just notice how the light reflects much clearer off the fake one because it doesn't have that "rough" texture I was talking about.

Chances are the cheaper bits of the controller are real, the more expensive internals could be a completely different matter though. The missing reset button is kind of hinting at very different internal components, might be worth a look.
Edited by: "PhearFactor" 16th Feb 2012
Original Poster
Fake:
[img]desmond.imageshack.us/Him…php?server=138&filename=dsc02599o.jpg&res=medium[/img]

Real:
[img]desmond.imageshack.us/Him…php?server=215&filename=dsc02600gl.jpg&res=medium[/img]
I want you to take notice of the reset button here. What you're seeing in the fake one is the light reflecting off the circuit board inside the hole, there is no reset button at all. However, you can clearly see the button in the real one.

Fake:
[img]desmond.imageshack.us/Him…php?server=189&filename=dsc02581gd.jpg&res=medium[/img]

Real:
[img]desmond.imageshack.us/Him…php?server=841&filename=dsc02579jt.jpg&res=medium[/img]
Another big telling sign. The Dualshock 3 logo is off-center on the fake one. It's also in a slightly chubbier font if you look closely. USB logo is also slightly different.

Original Poster
That's all the pics uploaded. Would be grateful if anyone can tell me how I can make them appear full size here!
jk12324

That's all the pics uploaded. Would be grateful if anyone can tell me … That's all the pics uploaded. Would be grateful if anyone can tell me how I can make them appear full size here!

Click the images as you have provided & wait for the resultant page to load.

Right-click the image shown & copy the location (or address, wording depending on the web browser you are using) to your PC's "clipboard".

Then paste that link (location/address) as the image location in a comment instead...

[img]desmond.imageshack.us/Him…php?server=138&filename=dsc02599o.jpg&res=medium[/img]
Even if it's not fake, it's definitely a grey import. The sticker on the back of the 'fake' one lacks the CE mark, and complies to "IDA Standards" - which looks like its Singapore's regulator.

I'd just send it back. £30 will buy you a legit UK model, or you can just get a cheapo fake from Dealextreme if you're not bothered.

It's unusual to see a fake with "Sony" and "Playstation"/"PS" branding though, so it may be real - just a grey import from the East..
Original Poster
fanpages

Click the images as you have provided & wait for the resultant page to … Click the images as you have provided & wait for the resultant page to load.Right-click the image shown & copy the location (or address, wording depending on the web browser you are using) to your PC's "clipboard".Then paste that link (location/address) as the image location in a comment instead...[img]http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg138/scaled.php?server=138&filename=dsc02599o.jpg&res=medium[/img]

Thanks fp!
Heyyy dunno if this helps but my controller model number is CECHZC2E bort it from game
You need to report them to trading standards.
Original Poster
Gooner_Getcha

Heyyy dunno if this helps but my controller model number is CECHZC2E … Heyyy dunno if this helps but my controller model number is CECHZC2E bort it from game

Sounds about right, the majority of controllers bought in the UK should have that model number.
Original Poster
E-mail sent to Hitari with a link to this thread. Will update with progress.
Edited by: "jk12324" 17th Feb 2012
oldmanhouse

It's unusual to see a fake with "Sony" and "Playstation"/"PS" branding … It's unusual to see a fake with "Sony" and "Playstation"/"PS" branding though, so it may be real - just a grey import from the East..

I bought two from an Amazon seller a few months back.
I told them that they were fake, and they said to return them for a full refund.

I told Sony UK about them, and they were not interested one bit.
Original Poster
Got a reply today:

"Hi,

Thank you for your query.

I am sorry to hear about the issue you are experiencing with your purchase.

I can assure you that we receive all products straight from the main distributors and publishers in the UK - we do not sell fakes.

I have taken a note of your thread on HUKD and we will pass the details and pictures to the distributor and inspection team for an investigation.

Please post it back to us at the following address:

Hitari Trade Ltd
Return Department
Unit 13 Magreal Industrial Estate
Freeth Street
Birmingham
B16 0QZ

Please include a note detailing your name, order number and as soon as it is received, we will issue a full refund.

Kindest Regards,

Philippa"

So I guess I'm expected to pay the postage fee myself. Probably around £5 considering the weight and size? Could've just gotten one at full price. Not happy at all, Hitari. Not happy at all.

Edited by: "jk12324" 20th Feb 2012
Original Poster
After complaining about the postage, they attached a returns label in their e-mail to me.
isn't it illegal to post fake items using the royal mail?
Original Poster
golemsmate

isn't it illegal to post fake items using the royal mail?

I hope not, lol.

Does anyone know if I can just print off the returns label on A4 paper and stick it on with tape, or if it has to be on real sticky label?
Original Poster
Got my refund yesterday, but I did have to pay for the packaging and parcel tape which cost me over £2. Would been easier if I had just went for the £28 deal that came not too long before this one.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants