Did I buy this at a good price? Marantz integrated amplifier

Found 12th Jul
Hi everyone, just bought a second hand amplifier off ebay and thinking if i made the right choice, worried I paid more than it was worth.
It was a Marantz PM6005 integrated amplifier, in Used condition for £175
Community Updates
AskAudio & Hi-Fi
29 Comments
It's a little old. No Bluetooth (if that matters). But apart from that it's decent. Can't say if it's good value. As long as it's in good condition and sounds good that's all what matters.
Edited by: "rev6" 12th Jul
rev621 m ago

It's a little old. No Bluetooth (if that matters). But apart from that …It's a little old. No Bluetooth (if that matters). But apart from that it's decent. Can't say if it's good value. As long as it's in good condition and sounds good that's all what matters.

that's what I meant, I could not afford a really good amplifier, I don't need bluetooth or anything wireless, just wanted my .
Q-acoustic 3020 to sound better than my previous amp (LEPY 2020A+) will it be any good, does anyone know if i should've instead went for the onkyo a-9010. I'm scared that I wasted my money since this is my first speaker system I've built
Salstech41 m ago

that's what I meant, I could not afford a really good amplifier, I don't …that's what I meant, I could not afford a really good amplifier, I don't need bluetooth or anything wireless, just wanted my .Q-acoustic 3020 to sound better than my previous amp (LEPY 2020A+) will it be any good, does anyone know if i should've instead went for the onkyo a-9010. I'm scared that I wasted my money since this is my first speaker system I've built

It'll sound so much better with much more overhead.
rev622 m ago

rev622 m ago

Could I ask what overhead means, couldn't find it on
Edited by: "Salstech" 13th Jul
Salstech31 m ago

Could I ask what overhead means, couldn't find it on

What I mean really is more power. You don't want to underpower speakers when turning them up, you want something that can handle them, and more, to avoid clipping which can damage the speakers.
This won't matter if you play at "normal" listening volume though.
Let us know how it goes once you receive it.
Edited by: "rev6" 13th Jul
rev61 h, 48 m ago

What I mean really is more power. You don't want to underpower speakers …What I mean really is more power. You don't want to underpower speakers when turning them up, you want something that can handle them, and more, to avoid clipping which can damage the speakers.This won't matter if you play at "normal" listening volume though.Let us know how it goes once you receive it.

Cool, thanks mate, main reason I got it was its coming with the richer sounds warranty, so if anything goes wrong with it I can get the newest model as a
You really need a sub to get the best sound out of that setup. The main thing I would watch out for on 2nd hand amps is dc offset on the speakers.
I personally love the Marantz sound and think the amp you have with q-acoustic is a great combination. As for streaming - you might already know this, but if you use an iphone /ipad / mac or itunes on any computer at home it is pretty cheap to get airplay to work with your amp. Just get an airport express (£15 on CEX) and a toslink cable (goes in to your optical input) and you can stream music from your device - sound quality is also better with airplay with apple devices compared to bluetooth.

As you your price question isn't it a bit late to worry if the price is right or not, as you have already bought it?
Edited by: "astreix" 13th Jul
astreix44 m ago

I personally love the Marantz sound and think the amp you have with …I personally love the Marantz sound and think the amp you have with q-acoustic is a great combination. As for streaming - you might already know this, but if you use an iphone /ipad / mac or itunes on any computer at home it is pretty cheap to get airplay to work with your amp. Just get an airport express (£15 on CEX) and a toslink cable (goes in to your optical input) and you can stream music from your device - sound quality is also better with airplay with apple devices compared to bluetooth.As you your price question isn't it a bit late to worry if the price is right or not, as you have already bought it?

It is but he hasn't posted it yet so I could always cancel the order, also I don't have apple, got android, I also have Chromecast audio for HD music s
kester766 h, 17 m ago

You really need a sub to get the best sound out of that setup. The main …You really need a sub to get the best sound out of that setup. The main thing I would watch out for on 2nd hand amps is dc offset on the speakers.

What is DC offset? Is it the pop the speakers give off or the buzzing
Salstech4 h, 17 m ago

What is DC offset? Is it the pop the speakers give off or the buzzing

wikihow.com/Mea…set
Yeah, it can cause pop but mostly it's physical movement of the speaker when you power it up. I have a massive amount on my SW150 subwoofer to the point it wont produce any sound as the cone is push all the way out. One day I'll get around to fixing it but it has been about 6 years already
kester762 h, 10 m ago

https://www.wikihow.com/Measure-DC-OffsetYeah, it can cause pop but mostly …https://www.wikihow.com/Measure-DC-OffsetYeah, it can cause pop but mostly it's physical movement of the speaker when you power it up. I have a massive amount on my SW150 subwoofer to the point it wont produce any sound as the cone is push all the way out. One day I'll get around to fixing it but it has been about 6 years already

so if my amp does cause pop, can I give it back to richer sounds under warranty, is the popping an actual fault?
Salstech1 h, 13 m ago

so if my amp does cause pop, can I give it back to richer sounds under …so if my amp does cause pop, can I give it back to richer sounds under warranty, is the popping an actual fault?

Yes and no, it's supposed to have a circuit built in to prevent pop. That's why the amp doesn't output sound until the voltage has stablised from switching on. You will notice this the most on your car stereo as it seems like it takes a little while to warm up but in fact it's waiting till the load spike is stable. Chances of you having this problem is low but easiest test is to watch the speaker cones when you turn the amp on with no sound. If they pop forward and stay forward you have a problem.
kester7613th Jul

Yes and no, it's supposed to have a circuit built in to prevent pop. …Yes and no, it's supposed to have a circuit built in to prevent pop. That's why the amp doesn't output sound until the voltage has stablised from switching on. You will notice this the most on your car stereo as it seems like it takes a little while to warm up but in fact it's waiting till the load spike is stable. Chances of you having this problem is low but easiest test is to watch the speaker cones when you turn the amp on with no sound. If they pop forward and stay forward you have a problem.

Hi, quick question since you seem knowledgeable in this department, did I even do the right thing purchasing an integrated amplifier, only wanted one purely for music, just realised there are HIFI instead which i could have connected my speakers to. Is there a big difference between something like this hotukdeals.com/dea…105, and what I got?
Salstech1 h, 17 m ago

Hi, quick question since you seem knowledgeable in this department, did I …Hi, quick question since you seem knowledgeable in this department, did I even do the right thing purchasing an integrated amplifier, only wanted one purely for music, just realised there are HIFI instead which i could have connected my speakers to. Is there a big difference between something like this https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/denon-rcd-m41dab-bluetoothcddab-30w-what-hifi-award-winner-micro-hifi-184-using-code-hughes-2985105, and what I got?

You probably won't get the most out of that amp with your speakers as they're entry level much like my q acoustics 1030s. Your amp is high end but is limited as it's not a stand alone device. It's massive overkill but an awesome amp in its own right so it's not a bad thing. There's a lot of high audio equipment out there that only supports analogue out and you can grab some nice kit on the cheap.

The denon is a good mini hifi but the can't really compare the two. I would look for a decent media server for your amp.

I myself have Sony dg820 and Sony DN1030 AVRs as I use a lot of HDMI and multi channel sound. Pretty much everything I have is digital but I've got an analogue Cambridge audio Dvd audio/SACD unit waiting to be reused.

I would say the best thing you can buy in an audio setup is the subwoofer as it gives a lot more depth to music and audio in general. Oboe and cello music sound amazing with a good sub. I really like multi channel music so 5.1 plus support is something I would go for.

Sorry for the rambling essay. Your amp is a good one but Bluetooth is just a shame for such a nice bit of kit.
kester7625 m ago

You probably won't get the most out of that amp with your speakers as …You probably won't get the most out of that amp with your speakers as they're entry level much like my q acoustics 1030s. Your amp is high end but is limited as it's not a stand alone device. It's massive overkill but an awesome amp in its own right so it's not a bad thing. There's a lot of high audio equipment out there that only supports analogue out and you can grab some nice kit on the cheap. The denon is a good mini hifi but the can't really compare the two. I would look for a decent media server for your amp.I myself have Sony dg820 and Sony DN1030 AVRs as I use a lot of HDMI and multi channel sound. Pretty much everything I have is digital but I've got an analogue Cambridge audio Dvd audio/SACD unit waiting to be reused.I would say the best thing you can buy in an audio setup is the subwoofer as it gives a lot more depth to music and audio in general. Oboe and cello music sound amazing with a good sub. I really like multi channel music so 5.1 plus support is something I would go for.Sorry for the rambling essay. Your amp is a good one but Bluetooth is just a shame for such a nice bit of kit.

lol none of that is important to me, I will be connecting my LG G7 via AUX cable to the actual amp since this is all for my bedroom, don't really need wireless or anything, just wanted to make sure I got the best amp i could have for my speakers, but lol your saying my amp is overkill, lol I thought my speakers were overkill and my amp was budget, seems like i got it the wrong way round haha. Thanks for the info mate
kester769 h, 35 m ago

You probably won't get the most out of that amp with your speakers as …You probably won't get the most out of that amp with your speakers as they're entry level much like my q acoustics 1030s. Your amp is high end but is limited as it's not a stand alone device. It's massive overkill but an awesome amp in its own right so it's not a bad thing. There's a lot of high audio equipment out there that only supports analogue out and you can grab some nice kit on the cheap. The denon is a good mini hifi but the can't really compare the two. I would look for a decent media server for your amp.I myself have Sony dg820 and Sony DN1030 AVRs as I use a lot of HDMI and multi channel sound. Pretty much everything I have is digital but I've got an analogue Cambridge audio Dvd audio/SACD unit waiting to be reused.I would say the best thing you can buy in an audio setup is the subwoofer as it gives a lot more depth to music and audio in general. Oboe and cello music sound amazing with a good sub. I really like multi channel music so 5.1 plus support is something I would go for.Sorry for the rambling essay. Your amp is a good one but Bluetooth is just a shame for such a nice bit of kit.

Can I quickly ask what you meant by the demon is a good kit but not really comparable? Do you mean the marantz is waay better, or something else?
Salstech5 h, 56 m ago

Can I quickly ask what you meant by the demon is a good kit but not really …Can I quickly ask what you meant by the demon is a good kit but not really comparable? Do you mean the marantz is waay better, or something else?

Ones an all in one micro hifi that has everything built in and an 1x analogue audio input, the other is designed to be used with separate parts of a hifi. The Marantz has six sets of analogue inputs and an analogue sound output. There's an A+B speaker Zone so you can wire up another room to the amp. The Marantz has a higher rated speaker output than the Denon so you will be able to crank the volume up higher to fill a larger room.

If your plan is to add additional audio devices to the amp and need to power larger speakers then the Marantz is a better choice but if you're just going to use it in a small room as a Micro hifi then it's missing a lot of features.
kester7616th Jul

Ones an all in one micro hifi that has everything built in and an 1x …Ones an all in one micro hifi that has everything built in and an 1x analogue audio input, the other is designed to be used with separate parts of a hifi. The Marantz has six sets of analogue inputs and an analogue sound output. There's an A+B speaker Zone so you can wire up another room to the amp. The Marantz has a higher rated speaker output than the Denon so you will be able to crank the volume up higher to fill a larger room.If your plan is to add additional audio devices to the amp and need to power larger speakers then the Marantz is a better choice but if you're just going to use it in a small room as a Micro hifi then it's missing a lot of features.

Just received the amp, connected it up and used a RCA to aux cable to phono port, but sounds terrible compared to when I connected to my lepy cheap amp which sounded way better, am I doing something wrong, is it the phono I'm supposed to be connected to, sound is very weak and not clear at
Salstech1 m ago

Just received the amp, connected it up and used a RCA to aux cable to …Just received the amp, connected it up and used a RCA to aux cable to phono port, but sounds terrible compared to when I connected to my lepy cheap amp which sounded way better, am I doing something wrong, is it the phono I'm supposed to be connected to, sound is very weak and not clear at

Why are you using phono input?
Use another.
Edited by: "rev6" 19th Jul
rev61 h, 9 m ago

Why are you using phono input?Use another.

Lol stupid me, haha, so the amp has a CD input and tuner which do you think would sound better? Thanks again
Salstech1 m ago

Lol stupid me, haha, so the amp has a CD input and tuner which do you …Lol stupid me, haha, so the amp has a CD input and tuner which do you think would sound better? Thanks again

Should sound the same. Phono is probably designed to use a pre amp
Salstech6 m ago

Lol stupid me, haha, so the amp has a CD input and tuner which do you …Lol stupid me, haha, so the amp has a CD input and tuner which do you think would sound better? Thanks again

Either
Had a quick look at the manual and the Phono has a pre amp built in but looks like the deck should be earthed.
kester767 m ago

Had a quick look at the manual and the Phono has a pre amp built in but …Had a quick look at the manual and the Phono has a pre amp built in but looks like the deck should be earthed.

I thought they were using a phone for output? Not sure. Any of the other inputs should be fine.
Edited by: "rev6" 19th Jul
rev62 m ago

I thought they were using a phone for output? Not sure. Any of the other …I thought they were using a phone for output? Not sure. Any of the other inputs should be fine.

Yep, used CD and it sounds amazing, a little too late to turn it up but can already notice the difference.
rev62 h, 19 m ago

I thought they were using a phone for output? Not sure. Any of the other …I thought they were using a phone for output? Not sure. Any of the other inputs should be fine.

Phone and tv I think. I was talking about the diagram of the Phono input, shows a record deck being earthed.
6005 is or was on my list for my next amp, so you got a good one! £175 may have been a little pricey though if you keep it 13 years it's ok.
Zoea46 m ago

6005 is or was on my list for my next amp, so you got a good one! £175 may …6005 is or was on my list for my next amp, so you got a good one! £175 may have been a little pricey though if you keep it 13 years it's ok.

Yep, I only got it because the guy gave it with 6 years richer sounds warranty and said if I don't use the warranty when it runs out I can get £20 back from richer
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants