Did loan company call centre staff steal my card details and use them fraudulently?

Posted 13th Jan
On the 9th of Jan I call my loan company up to pay off the reaming balance and settle the loan early.

I transferred the funds to a Starling Bank account, which I use solely for bill payments via DD, I stress here I have never ever used the card its been stored safely at home and never seen the light of day until the 9th of Jan when I used it to make a payment of over £2500..

I paid over the phone and young man took my details the payment went through, but I was asked a few questions about how I had the money to repay in full and strangely did I have only the funds to pay the loan off or did I have access to more funds and then was offer another loan lol.. which I refused.

2.13AM 11th of Jan - notification from starling a payment of 91p to IGVault for gaming coins was made, luckily I was awake, and i immediately froze my card, i racked my brains for a 10 minutes and then phone the bank and cancelled the card.

2.30AM 10 x attempted transactions to Microsoft for payments starting at £2500 reducing each time to £50.. all declined because Id cancelled my card.

The Bank has since confirmed the payments were all made in UK and used my full card details with correct name and address details.

there was only one person who had access to all these details and is it coincidence that it was less than 24 hours previous I gave them to that person?

I have contacted my Bank and the loan company to see what happens, but does anyone else think that the call centre employee stole these details?
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

Top comments
I reckon loan company / kid that took payment details.

Report to the police ASAP. I know you have blocked card, but the little scrot needs catching.
20 Comments
Probably the agent who stole and then sold the details (person that answered). I’m sure they’ll catch them.
Edited by: "JoeyJoJoJunior" 13th Jan
I reckon loan company / kid that took payment details.

Report to the police ASAP. I know you have blocked card, but the little scrot needs catching.
If you are correct, and I have no reason to doubt your word, then this is very clear fraud and perhaps it is worth talking to the likes of Martin Lewis or a journalist to raise the profile of the case. The bank won't want their reputation damaged.

I had a somewhat similar, if more old fashioned, case many years ago. I always use a new email address with any company (I own the domain) and I used a credit card online with the new email address to pay for a something large. Within 24 hours, I was getting some very suspect phishing emails to the new email address.

I raised it with the bank and police and never heard a dicky bird. The police were told to stop investigating this kind of fraud many years ago by the Govt. That way, the crimes stop appearing on official stats.

Apparently fraud against me comes a very poor second to the crims data privacy. Not a wonder we are in a mess over this kind of fraud. If all the events were published with firms named and shamed, the problem would be reduced. Considerably I suspect.
Report it to the bank, police and action fraud. I would also contact any other banks you have and make them aware and check your credit file incase anything else shows up.
This is quite bad, MrSprkle. Glad you had the luck of catching the first 'warning' - otherwise the situation could be much worse now. I guess the only other 'explanation' for your issue could be the loan company's system is compromised/hacked - which; under investigation; they should be able to find out. You could be the tip of the iceberg...

I have a very similar setup to you for payments of certain things and whilst it is totally dissociated to your story, I recently had to contact a bank to change/update a telephone password and found it quite unnerving. I got chatting to the CS agent about things and discovered he was 17 years old. I know everyone has to start somewhere but after that, I really didn't like giving this young guy my private details, setting up a password by mouth and him just typing it in on my account. This was supposed to be an "extra" level of security but it seemed like I was telling a 'yoof' down the pub!

Like I said, I know people of ANY age can do any job but it just seemed strange that someone at possibly the start of their career in banking would be handling something so delicate as security. Old fashioned and distrustful I may be but with my finances, I want an older soul looking after my details. Of course, this is the real world and anyone can be deceitful at ANY age.

All the best, Phsy.
Phsycronix13/01/2020 10:14

This is quite bad, MrSprkle. Glad you had the luck of catching the first …This is quite bad, MrSprkle. Glad you had the luck of catching the first 'warning' - otherwise the situation could be much worse now. I guess the only other 'explanation' for your issue could be the loan company's system is compromised/hacked - which; under investigation; they should be able to find out. You could be the tip of the iceberg...I have a very similar setup to you for payments of certain things and whilst it is totally dissociated to your story, I recently had to contact a bank to change/update a telephone password and found it quite unnerving. I got chatting to the CS agent about things and discovered he was 17 years old. I know everyone has to start somewhere but after that, I really didn't like giving this young guy my private details, setting up a password by mouth and him just typing it in on my account. This was supposed to be an "extra" level of security but it seemed like I was telling a 'yoof' down the pub!Like I said, I know people of ANY age can do any job but it just seemed strange that someone at possibly the start of their career in banking would be handling something so delicate as security. Old fashioned and distrustful I may be but with my finances, I want an older soul looking after my details. Of course, this is the real world and anyone can be deceitful at ANY age.All the best, Phsy.

I would have thought financial security would need to be an 18+ matter just for legal reasons
Felicitous13/01/2020 10:25

I would have thought financial security would need to be an 18+ matter …I would have thought financial security would need to be an 18+ matter just for legal reasons

I know, Felicitous. I didn't want to make an issue but we got talking about insurance (car/home etc.) and the chap said "My car is XXX pounds." I mentioned that was quite steep and he replied "Yeah, they are all pricey - I'm only 17." I was a little put off - not by him (he was really a pleasant sounding guy) but by the fact someone (not just SO young) so early in their career was handling "security" issues. I accept that's MY problem - not his.

My biggest issue however was that he didn't know who Peter Gabriel was! I'm joking; of course; but their hold music was one of my favourite artists and I commented so - to which he replied "Who?" It was the superb "Sledgehammer" track. You could sense the 'shrug' in his voice and he then reiterated how young he was.

Not knowing who Peter Gabriel is. Blasphemy!
I recently opened an account with Monzo, deposited £50, and within minutes I’d had a notification I’d been signed out, log back in again and £50 has been transferred to some Nigerian price I’ve never heard of.

Spoke to customer services, and they said they’d reset my security details, so just to be safe I changed my email password as well as my pin for the account, immediately after I was signed out again and details changed.

Thanks to Monzo and their inefficiency, they said they wasn’t going to refund me for the fraudulent misuse of my account as they believe it was my own doing.

Not quite sure how, but I’m currently appealing with the financial ombudsman and I’ve lodged a claim with ActionFraud.

Avoid Monzo!

Very few banking institutions left who are trustworthy these days!
Edited by: "BadMF" 13th Jan
BadMF13/01/2020 10:45

I recently opened an account with Monzo, deposited £50, and within minutes …I recently opened an account with Monzo, deposited £50, and within minutes I’d had a notification I’d been signed out, log back in again and £50 has been transferred to some Nigerian price I’ve never heard of.Spoke to customer services, and they said they’d reset my security details, so just to be safe I changed my email password as well as my pin for the account, immediately after I was signed out again and details changed. Thanks to Monzo and their inefficiency, they said they wasn’t going to refund me for the fraudulent misuse of my account as they believe it was my own doing. Not quite sure how, but I’m currently appealing with the financial ombudsman and I’ve lodged a claim with ActionFraud.Avoid Monzo!Very few banking institutions left who are trustworthy these days!

I have Monzo never had an issue. I would suggest doing a malware and virus scan on all your devices incase somebody is tracking your devices

I recently opened an account with Monzo, deposited £50, and within minutes …I recently opened an account with Monzo, deposited £50, and within minutes I’d had a notification I’d been signed out, log back in again and £50 has been transferred to some Nigerian price I’ve never heard of.Spoke to customer services, and they said they’d reset my security details, so just to be safe I changed my email password as well as my pin for the account, immediately after I was signed out again and details changed. Thanks to Monzo and their inefficiency, they said they wasn’t going to refund me for the fraudulent misuse of my account as they believe it was my own doing. Not quite sure how, but I’m currently appealing with the financial ombudsman and I’ve lodged a claim with ActionFraud.Avoid Monzo!Very few banking institutions left who are trustworthy these days!

Geez! That sounds really bad, BadMF. Seriously though, as already suggested (and not that I'm suggesting Monzo are not to blame) get your end scanned and checked to the extreme as you could have a compromised system. If it happened in such a fast space of time, I would've thought your information is being intercepted by a 'man-in-the-middle' attack.

I hope you can get a satisfactory solution. It would worry me sick and stop me doing ANY online banking or purchasing until I could get to the bottom of it.
Edited by: "Phsycronix" 13th Jan

I opened a Monzo account recently (in the last 2 months). Within a few days of opening the account there was a failed transaction of £49.99 from some online company (can't quite remember the name). At that point I had never used the card or even given out any of the details so found it very strange.

Spoke to Monzo immediately who froze the card and sent me a new one out. Not had a problem since then but only stick in small amounts, wary of putting any large values into the account.

Hope you get to the bottom of the issue with the loan company OP!
I was using a brand new iPhone, only had the stock apps plus nationwide banking app and the Monzo app, I don’t visit any dodgy websites so it’s definitely not something on my phone or otherwise.

Either way it’s left a bitter taste in my mouth if this is how I get treated for reporting a fraudulent charge, so I’m now £50 lighter thanks to Monzo.

I’m only glad I waited to transfer a lump sum, as who knows how much more I’d be out of pocket if I had.
BadMF13/01/2020 12:25

I was using a brand new iPhone, only had the stock apps plus nationwide …I was using a brand new iPhone, only had the stock apps plus nationwide banking app and the Monzo app, I don’t visit any dodgy websites so it’s definitely not something on my phone or otherwise.Either way it’s left a bitter taste in my mouth if this is how I get treated for reporting a fraudulent charge, so I’m now £50 lighter thanks to Monzo. I’m only glad I waited to transfer a lump sum, as who knows how much more I’d be out of pocket if I had.

Thats shocking so with the other person again exactly the same thing 49.99 and 50 can't see any difference in it this must definitely be something too do with Monzo most likely a dodgy employee. This is really bad if Monzo just brush it under carpet and blame the customers.

Can't see any other way this could have happened.
ndyanem13/01/2020 11:18

I have Monzo never had an issue. I would suggest doing a malware and virus …I have Monzo never had an issue. I would suggest doing a malware and virus scan on all your devices incase somebody is tracking your devices

Really doubt a virus or malware would be so sophisticated too hack a new setup Monzo account change the password and take the money out in such a quick time and then for Monzo too just blame the customer for this seems this is normal behaviour for some at Monzo. I would be worried about using them again if I was you.

Some companies are very strict with employees and theft. But a few don't bother as they can't be bothered with all the fraud checks and amount of money and time it takes them too investigate.
MynameisM13/01/2020 12:35

Really doubt a virus or malware would be so sophisticated too hack a new …Really doubt a virus or malware would be so sophisticated too hack a new setup Monzo account change the password and take the money out in such a quick time and then for Monzo too just blame the customer for this seems this is normal behaviour for some at Monzo. I would be worried about using them again if I was you. Some companies are very strict with employees and theft. But a few don't bother as they can't be bothered with all the fraud checks and amount of money and time it takes them too investigate.

Google spyeye or Zeus family
The one advantage with banks like Starling is that you can control every transaction on the card from within the app - online, mag stripe, location based, contact-less, gambling, etc. Very granular controls to block different transaction types.
Felicitous13/01/2020 10:25

I would have thought financial security would need to be an 18+ matter …I would have thought financial security would need to be an 18+ matter just for legal reasons

Nope, you can go into working in finance related roles like this at 16 Quite scary really...

In regards to the original post, whilst you would hope somebody working for a financial institution would not be doing something like this, it unfortunately sounds likely that this is what's happened. You're right to have blocked the card ASAP!
Psychobunni13/01/2020 14:06

Nope, you can go into working in finance related roles like this at 16 …Nope, you can go into working in finance related roles like this at 16 Quite scary really...In regards to the original post, whilst you would hope somebody working for a financial institution would not be doing something like this, it unfortunately sounds likely that this is what's happened. You're right to have blocked the card ASAP!

Just wondering, why do you think 16 is scary? Fraud can be done by anyone at any age.
You should formally raise a complaint with the loan company as well. They will have a strict process to follow under the FSA. You could also go to the FSA but not sure where that would go. It's very rare for a card owner to know 100% where a fraud was initiated from and theves play on this. Had a similar issue many years ago where we had a card that hadn't been used for months, but other half used it for a hair cut, hid it at home and we were away for a few weeks. Next statement had a mass of spending on it. Turned out the hairdresser had been cloning cards as a side line.
ra78614/01/2020 03:06

Just wondering, why do you think 16 is scary? Fraud can be done by anyone …Just wondering, why do you think 16 is scary? Fraud can be done by anyone at any age.

I fully appreciate that people of any age can commit fraud but the very minor concern i have regarding age is not related to intentional fraud. It's more about sense of responsibility for handling sensitive information in an appropriate manner and dealing with people and their finances in a respectful way.. along with having a full understanding of what that can mean in somebodies life if you don't. This can be difficult to fully grasp when you have little life and financial management experience yourself!

There are obviously some mature 16 year olds out there who are responsible and more than capable of doing this. Thankfully, banks and financial institutions normally do a decent job of picking these out from the less suitable applicants.
Edited by: "Psychobunni" 14th Jan
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants