Did you know samsung phones bought on amazon are not covered by samsung warranty

Found 24th Jan
Even though Amazon and the amazon market sellers swear on their mothers' grave that it is.. here is I got from samsung chat:

"...However, we really would not be able to send the device for repair as you have bought it through Amazon. We will not be able to know if the device you have with you is manufactured in the UK or in a different region. As such, our warranty will be unable to cover for the repair. Since, there would be most likely differences in parts that are inside the device. An example of this is the type of chipset that we use. Depending on where the device was manufactured, it would have a different chipset inside. The differences in parts is due to the legal restrictions.

What we can only do for you, since the device was bought from Amazon, is to provide you troubleshooting steps and other options. However, we really would not be able to send the device for repair."

Has anyone been through this? bought a samsung device from amazon and had problems with it?
Community Updates
AskElectronicsPhones
17 Comments
Iv bought samsung note 3 about 4 years ago and they accepted that so you must be talking to the wrong person. Try again as samsung cs are a pain
Separately; Samsung would seem to have been deliberately dishonest. The serial number tells them all they need to know.

Look very carefully at the description on Amazon. Was it new? If not, you have no case. Does it say Grey goods? In which case you have a case against the seller. Is the seller a UK account? If not, you are in dodgy ground but pursue Amazon for settlement.

If Samsung reject the phone because it turns out you have been sold Grey goods without clear labeling stating they are Grey, your case is against Amazon. If this was a Marketplace deal then you pursue the seller through Amazon.

Hopefully you paid on Credit Card (if it was over £100 and less than £30k), you are covered by S75 rules. Notify the Credit Card merchant that you are holding them jointly liable and want your money back. moneysavingexpert.com/sho…ses
Thanks

the seller is registered in the UK (Amazon market place). They confirmed in an email and in the listing it is New.
what do you mean by "Grey goods"?
ccnp30 m ago

Separately; Samsung would seem to have been deliberately dishonest. The …Separately; Samsung would seem to have been deliberately dishonest. The serial number tells them all they need to know. Look very carefully at the description on Amazon. Was it new? If not, you have no case. Does it say Grey goods? In which case you have a case against the seller. Is the seller a UK account? If not, you are in dodgy ground but pursue Amazon for settlement.If Samsung reject the phone because it turns out you have been sold Grey goods without clear labeling stating they are Grey, your case is against Amazon. If this was a Marketplace deal then you pursue the seller through Amazon.Hopefully you paid on Credit Card (if it was over £100 and less than £30k), you are covered by S75 rules. Notify the Credit Card merchant that you are holding them jointly liable and want your money back. https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/section75-protect-your-purchases

and you are right about the serial number.. I gave the serial number to Samsung cs, and they confirmed it is for the UK and is covered by their warranty.. the problem with this is the serial number is on the back of the device, which means you have to open the package to find it.
fileexit34 m ago

and you are right about the serial number.. I gave the serial number to …and you are right about the serial number.. I gave the serial number to Samsung cs, and they confirmed it is for the UK and is covered by their warranty.. the problem with this is the serial number is on the back of the device, which means you have to open the package to find it.

I'm confused with this comment and the opening post.
OP have you got a fault with a Samsung phone that needs repair or are you querying before purchase?
I agree with above the serial number would be sufficient to tell Samsung whether it is a uk product or not.
fileexit59 m ago

Thanksthe seller is registered in the UK (Amazon market place). They …Thanksthe seller is registered in the UK (Amazon market place). They confirmed in an email and in the listing it is New. what do you mean by "Grey goods"?

grey imports are items which are intended for other parts of the world but are imported and sold by 3rd parties rather than the official importer/manufacturer. Typically grey imports are not covered by warranty unless the mfr offers a worldwide warranty. These items are not quite black market (stolen/fake) but equally are not an authorised item hence grey.

Basically people take advantage of the variation in a products pricing across the world. eg a phone might be sold at a lower price in china or india compared to the UK. So someone will buy up stocks there and then sell them into the uk undercutting the official sales channels.

The problems are that sometimes spec varies (channel 20 ?upport?) and since the EU branch of the firm didnt supply the phone, they made no profit and will have no interest in the cost of repair or replacement - and why should they/
Edited by: "mas99" 24th Jan
Amazon Market place isn't Amazon, It's a third party seller.
Sorry for confusing everyone. I purchased the phone from Amazon market place, and I received it today. Wondering about Samsung warranty, I thought I should check with Samsung before opening it. The plan was to return it unopened if Samsung disown responsibility.

There was a problem: for Samsung to check it is cover or not, they need the serial number, which can only be found on the back of the phone. There was a chance that the phone is not covered and the seller won't accept return because I opened the package.
Edited by: "fileexit" 24th Jan
The serial number should be on a sticker on the outside of the box, it has been on every new phone I've ever seen (and I used to work for one of the networks!).
ccnp6 h, 22 m ago

...Hopefully you paid on Credit Card (if it was over £100 and less than …...Hopefully you paid on Credit Card (if it was over £100 and less than £30k), you are covered by S75 rules. Notify the Credit Card merchant that you are holding them jointly liable and want your money back. https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/section75-protect-your-purchases

Possibly some confused interpretation of S75 there. The credit provider's S75 obligations are to replicate the merchant's stated obligations, so for example if the merchant stated 18m return-to-base warranty, that is what the credit provider is obliged to replicate to discharge its S75 obligations. Worst case: in the event of no warranty being stated by the merchant, no warranty can be replicated. At the time of your post there is no indication of what warranty the merchant stated, if any, so any implied warranty to be replicated by the credit provider would be whatever warranty Amazon insists it marketplace sellers provide, and that is highly unlikely to be a manufacturer warranty nor exceed a UK-based merchant's base consumer obligations, regardless of where the merchant is based. Fortunately subsequent posts by OP paint a more positive picure.
fileexit5 h, 57 m ago

and you are right about the serial number.. I gave the serial number to …and you are right about the serial number.. I gave the serial number to Samsung cs, and they confirmed it is for the UK and is covered by their warranty.. the problem with this is the serial number is on the back of the device, which means you have to open the package to find it.

The title of this (your) thread does not appear to support your experience; it simply appears to show some ignorance of the Amazon platform.
fileexit10 h, 21 m ago

Sorry for confusing everyone. I purchased the phone from Amazon market …Sorry for confusing everyone. I purchased the phone from Amazon market place, and I received it today. Wondering about Samsung warranty, I thought I should check with Samsung before opening it. The plan was to return it unopened if Samsung disown responsibility. There was a problem: for Samsung to check it is cover or not, they need the serial number, which can only be found on the back of the phone. There was a chance that the phone is not covered and the seller won't accept return because I opened the package.

In every sealed brand new phone there is a sticker on the box with IMEI, model number etc. If there isn't one I would be wary about keeping that phone as it doesn't sound like a sealed brand new phone then.
I bought a phone from play.com years ago, it wasn’t stated that it would be an import from another country, it went wrong and Sony UK would not repair it, they said I would have to send it to another Sony place in another country at my own cost. I complained to play and got a full refund. I now no longer buy phones via places like amazon. Stick with mobiles.co.uk, carphonewarehouse.co.uk and other sites like that.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 25th Jan
cmdr_elito6 h, 25 m ago

... I now no longer buy phones via places like amazon. Stick with …... I now no longer buy phones via places like amazon. Stick with mobiles.co.uk, carphonewarehouse.co.uk and other sites like that.

Let's hope your CPW phone purchase doesn't require a warranty battery replacement after month 6 selfhelp.carphonewarehouse.com/Sel…00}
AndyRoyd5 h, 35 m ago

Let's hope your CPW phone purchase doesn't require a warranty battery …Let's hope your CPW phone purchase doesn't require a warranty battery replacement after month 6 http://selfhelp.carphonewarehouse.com/SelfHelp/request.do?view()=c{79ae2a80-f9f3-11de-da00-000000000000}

I buy iPhones so not a problem. Hahaha!

My point about the warranty is that if it’s in warranty it’s covered and can be repaired in the uk. If you buy online elsewhere you will have to send it to an alternative manufactures repair centre located in the country that the handset is from at your own cost.
I have just had this same issue and my phone was bought direct from Amazon. They will only honour the warranty 2 years from manufacture date unless it was purchased direct from Samsung or a “reputable high street retailer“.
Screen has developed a fault within 2 years of purchase but outside 2 years of manufacture.
Spoke to multiple people and online help not budging
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions