Groups

Didnt skype used to be cheap? :S

Is it just me or is Skype no longer what made it so popular in the 1st place? Ive had the software on my computer for about 12 months now and just called my mate on his computer and now my gf is in New york i wanted to call her but after seeing that the minimum credit is £10, plus VAT, plus a charge per connected call, and the actual per minute rate (rounded UP to the minute).

So yeah im gunna be staying away from it now me thinks, are there any other VOIP services someone could recommend, calling from my PC.

Nick

29 Comments

Since Ebay bought it, They've ruined it!

I'm using a Tesco Internet Phone, Not the cheapest, But its alright.

Typical Ebay

I'm using Tesco's internet phone too, I find it very cheap it costs me nothing as my mate has one too and he's the only person I ever call!!

try ]1899.com. Cheap phone calls most places in the world.

They charge a connection fee of 3p and then 0p/minute
    I haven't used in a while though as I signed up for talktalk.

At the minute im using BT softphone as i get free evening and weekend calls + 100 free texts a month

Try Voipcheap.com and the likes - free calls to Europe, UK, US and Canada. Much cheaper than Skype.
    I am using it with my normal phones for several months now.

i thought skype as free?

It's free to call other Skype users

I've been using voipfone instead of Skype and found it excellent. Kommunist's suggestion of voipcheap is even cheaper though depending on your usage.

Admin

I've been using voipfone instead of Skype and found it excellent. … I've been using voipfone instead of Skype and found it excellent. Kommunist's suggestion of voipcheap is even cheaper though depending on your usage.

as in?

Check this out morales:

voipcheap.co.uk/en/…tml

I think that more or less explains it more than I could do as I don't know it in and out. Basically if you top up x amount every x months/days then the calls are free.

Few questions if anybody would be so kind:
    1) Is there any wireless sets for voip, ie plug into pc but handset has no wire
    2) is it free to other users with the same set ?
    3) Can you use any software if you have a handset ?

Admin

Check this out morales:http://www.voipcheap.co.uk/en/free.htmlI think … Check this out morales:http://www.voipcheap.co.uk/en/free.htmlI think that more or less explains it more than I could do as I don't know it in and out. Basically if you top up x amount every x months/days then the calls are free.

interesting, this would have been good but doesn't include mobile phone calls or calls to the UK. shame

the rates aren't that different to those of skype, most numbers i would call are at most 2 pence more expensive on skype

morales

interesting, this would have been good but doesn't include mobile phone … interesting, this would have been good but doesn't include mobile phone calls or calls to the UK. shamethe rates aren't that different to those of skype, most numbers i would call are at most 2 pence more expensive on skype

As I said, do not go for Voipcheap.co.uk but rather for Voipcheap.com. They do free UK calls. In fact, calls to these countries are free (to landlines, unless stated):

Andorrafree*Argentinafree*Australiafree*Austriafree*Belgiumfree*Canadafree*Chilefree*Czech Republicfree*Denmarkfree*Estoniafree*Francefree*Germanyfree*Hong Kong (+mobile)free*Hungaryfree*Icelandfree*Irelandfree*Italyfree*Liechtensteinfree*Luxembourgfree*Malaysiafree*Monacofree*Netherlandsfree*New Zealandfree*Norwayfree*Polandfree*Portugalfree*Puerto Rico (+mobile)free*Russian Federationfree*Singapore (+mobile)free*South Koreafree*Spainfree*Swedenfree*Switzerlandfree*United Kingdomfree*United States (+mobile)free*

Now, regarding 90 freedays - once this period is over, they start charging you standard tariff. After you've spent all you money, you can add more funds to the account and will get another 90 freedays, and so on.

ah i see... thanks

still, you have to buy credit in lots of 10 euros, which is a bit annoying

kommnist what did you mean when you said "im using it with my normal phones"

still, you have to buy credit in lots of 10 euros, which is a bit … still, you have to buy credit in lots of 10 euros, which is a bit annoying

The credit wont disappear - there is no cutoff date (there used to be up until recently). So if it takes you several months to spend it - it isn't really deal breaker. Or is it?

kommnist what did you mean when you said "im using it with my normal … kommnist what did you mean when you said "im using it with my normal phones"

I meant exactly what I said - I am using Voipcheap via standard DECT phone. Philips SE4354 to be precise.
    I connected Zoom VOIP ATA to my router and phone went in it. So all my calls are now routed through Voipcheap unless I am telling it not to.

Kommunist

The credit wont disappear - there is no cutoff date (there used to be up … The credit wont disappear - there is no cutoff date (there used to be up until recently). So if it takes you several months to spend it - it isn't really deal breaker. Or is it? I meant exactly what I said - I am using Voipcheap via standard DECT phone. Philips SE4354 to be precise.I connected Zoom VOIP ATA to my router and phone went in it. So all my calls are now routed through Voipcheap unless I am telling it not to.

blimey.... teach me? what sort of money did you have to spend to get any devices to make this work?

what about when people phone you?

Well.. if you search this forum for Zoom VOIP or Zoom 5800, you'll see aplenty of information on how to do this. I even provided instructions on how to configure the device for Voipcheap/Voipdiscount and Sipgate. It doesn't work with Skype though - the protocol is significantly different.
    This is the device I am talking about: ]Zoom 5801 ATA.

As to people who phoning me, they have two options:
    1. Call me on my landline number (this could be NTL or BT one) - OR
    2. Call me on my Sipgate number (this one is geographical and free).

Whatever option they choose, it'll still come to the same phone - the mentioned Philips.

As I said, do not go for Voipcheap.co.uk but rather for Voipcheap.com. … As I said, do not go for Voipcheap.co.uk but rather for Voipcheap.com. They do free UK calls. In fact, calls to these countries are free (to landlines, unless stated):

Ah sorry Kommunist - I just saw the free bit and though it was the same. You're in better hands with Kommunist rather than myself morales

Actually, this is one thing about Betamax I never understood - why on British website (voipcheap.co.uk) calls to UK numbers are 1p/minute but on European website (voipcheap.com) it is free? A bit crazy really.

Here is Betamax "companies" price comparison

i was going to sign up for it and all but then noticed you actually pay 2.50 euros for handling and vat. not too impressed with that sneaky fee that only comes up at the last minute.

Well... in my opinion this is still worth it. YMMV of course

just tried phoning a mobile, twice as expensive on skype, so i suppose actually yes it is worth it.

justvoip.com seems to be right for me, any feedback from that company?

edit: lol its like an exact copy of voipcheap.com except called "justvoip"

This seems to be yet another Betamax brand rather than a company. As with all Betamax services it is going to be fine when it works and rubbish when it doesn't. Expect NO customer service at all.

Kommunist

This seems to be yet another Betamax brand rather than a company. As with … This seems to be yet another Betamax brand rather than a company. As with all Betamax services it is going to be fine when it works and rubbish when it doesn't. Expect NO customer service at all.

what do you mean, rubbish when it doesn't work..... why wouldn't it work?

I had a problem with them - they decided to block my account because their software decided that I am using two different Paypal accounts and this is a sign of a fraud. Don't ask me why they think this way or why they think I was using different accounts (it was the same account really). Anyway, it took about a month to reinstate things and I had to start a claim process through Paypal. All my emails were ignored of course. At the end I got an email "your account is now reinstated. Bye". No apologies, no explanations - nothing.

If you want account with UK company and good customer service - go for Voipfone. If you want cheap no-frills (and no customer service) account - go for Betamax.

Midmac

Few questions if anybody would be so kind:1) Is there any wireless sets … Few questions if anybody would be so kind:1) Is there any wireless sets for voip, ie plug into pc but handset has no wire2) is it free to other users with the same set ?3) Can you use any software if you have a handset ?

1) I believe Tesco do a cordless handset now, It was a pain with the original handset as you were tied to your PC. :roll:
    2) Yes
    3) Don't know :oops:
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Your favourite member of the Labour shadow cabinet is .....33
      2. miikeyblue and shabbird's (but mostly shabbird's) Tuesday night pub quiz!553789
      3. Tower Hill Station - Explosion reported.. (Phone charger??)55
      4. Bearded chat1225

See more discussions