Diesel car prices to crash even more be aware

Found 22nd Feb
Hello guys am a it worried about used diesel cars I think more can be done like putting a device on end of exhaust to collect soot which can be used for printer ink or big cities in UK skyscrapers having their own extraction system to clean the air. I mean people have got very economical diesel cars that give the economy of a hybrid it' not fair if they have to loose out on spending thousands on their cars. If you have ideas you can forward them to London traffic lot or even to mayor...
Community Updates
Misc
95 Comments
What's the point of saving a few mpg if diesel fumes cause harm to people living in built up cities. People's health is more important than the price of a used diesel
Edited by: "lumsdot" 22nd Feb
I'm hoping that the death of the diesel actually pushes the effort to more cleaner and emission-less options.

Have to admit I just plan to run mine into the ground at this point and save for a car that does a lot less damage.

£20 road tax and £35 for 350 - 400 miles suits me for now
Once upon a time in a land quite close to us, strange things happened. Politicans became dumb, environmentalists gained a voice and they created something called the diesel bubble. The diesel bubble was to burst eventually.

About 10 years ago a diesel was a solid purchase if you wanted to keep your costs lower but the market changes. It wasnt that long ago that manufacturers charged less for their diesel models and diesel was cheaper in a bid to persuade us to use it. Then Mr Blair and Mr Prescott decided that co2 would kill the world and they became very concerned, so concerned they had to jump on a plane and sit in Japan to discuss it and they decided they must save the world. So we all did what they wanted us to do and bought diesels so then what happened? They realised diesels may be low on co2 but high on gases which actually matter and then the EU rode into the equation, like a barrel of slurry rolling through a five-star hotel and decided that this just wont do.

Then the EU's devilish minions set to work on creating Euro Standard emissions legislation which in turn damaged the reliability and cost effectiveness of the formerly encouraged diesel. During this time it became obvious to most sensible people with a calculator and brain matter that diesel offers hardly any benefit for the average mileage motorist and we took advantage of cheap petrol cars as dealers couldnt shift them. It is now those same cheap petrol cars which may increase in value as more and more cities ban diesel engines in certain area's and the war on diesel seems to be starting.
CelestialLegend22nd Feb

I'm hoping that the death of the diesel actually pushes the effort to more …I'm hoping that the death of the diesel actually pushes the effort to more cleaner and emission-less options. Have to admit I just plan to run mine into the ground at this point and save for a car that does a lot less damage.£20 road tax and £35 for 350 - 400 miles suits me for now

I'm of the same thinking. Looking at new SUVs and diesel still seems the way to go for the next 3 years. After that hopefully there's a decent hybrid option or at least a greater range of petrols.

Road tax and economy still offsets any depreciation.
DKLS39 m ago

Once upon a time in a land quite close to us, strange things happened. …Once upon a time in a land quite close to us, strange things happened. Politicans became dumb, environmentalists gained a voice and they created something called the diesel bubble. The diesel bubble was to burst eventually. About 10 years ago a diesel was a solid purchase if you wanted to keep your costs lower but the market changes. It wasnt that long ago that manufacturers charged less for their diesel models and diesel was cheaper in a bid to persuade us to use it. Then Mr Blair and Mr Prescott decided that co2 would kill the world and they became very concerned, so concerned they had to jump on a plane and sit in Japan to discuss it and they decided they must save the world. So we all did what they wanted us to do and bought diesels so then what happened? They realised diesels may be low on co2 but high on gases which actually matter and then the EU rode into the equation, like a barrel of slurry rolling through a five-star hotel and decided that this just wont do. Then the EU's devilish minions set to work on creating Euro Standard emissions legislation which in turn damaged the reliability and cost effectiveness of the formerly encouraged diesel. During this time it became obvious to most sensible people with a calculator and brain matter that diesel offers hardly any benefit for the average mileage motorist and we took advantage of cheap petrol cars as dealers couldnt shift them. It is now those same cheap petrol cars which may increase in value as more and more cities ban diesel engines in certain area's and the war on diesel seems to be starting.

I couldn't help reading this without the image of Clarkson saying this at the beginning of a segment on Top Gear The Grand Tour. Reads quite similarly
Edited by: "CelestialLegend" 22nd Feb
So I bought my diesel to save on fuel and now every couple of weeks I have to put the car in 4th gear on the motorway around 3000rpm for 20 minutes and do a manual DPF regeneration to clear the soot from the DPF. This uses a lot of fuel too, showing up as 18-20mpg during the regen. I was unaware at the time I bought my first diesel that I would regularly need to do this. It also was part of the emissions scandal and after it got “the fix” the egr valve failed which is a common thing after getting repaired and it cost me £450.
Mate took his dpf off and punched a hole through and fitted it back on. Then £45 off ebay for cable and software to link laptop to the car and flashed computer.. if memory serves. Didn't half smoke at first as all the cit got blown out and car run so much better. Companies around that would do this for a price but guess that's all finished now I guess
Edited by: "wayners" 22nd Feb
wayners11 m ago

Mate took his dpf off and punched a hole through and fitted it back on. …Mate took his dpf off and punched a hole through and fitted it back on. Then £45 off ebay for cable and software to link to laptop if memory serves. Didn't half smoke at first as all the cit got blown out and car run so much better. Companies around that would do this for a price but guess that's all finished now I guess

I think removing the bad stuff from your exhaust gas is a good thing and i would imagine your friend will also have trouble with his MOT.
HotEnglishAndWelshDeals1 h, 28 m ago

I'm of the same thinking. Looking at new SUVs and diesel still seems the …I'm of the same thinking. Looking at new SUVs and diesel still seems the way to go for the next 3 years. After that hopefully there's a decent hybrid option or at least a greater range of petrols.Road tax and economy still offsets any depreciation.

Why do you want a car on stilts? Unless you go off roading and need ground clearance.
jayonline851 h, 5 m ago

So I bought my diesel to save on fuel and now every couple of weeks I have …So I bought my diesel to save on fuel and now every couple of weeks I have to put the car in 4th gear on the motorway around 3000rpm for 20 minutes and do a manual DPF regeneration to clear the soot from the DPF. This uses a lot of fuel too, showing up as 18-20mpg during the regen. I was unaware at the time I bought my first diesel that I would regularly need to do this. It also was part of the emissions scandal and after it got “the fix” the egr valve failed which is a common thing after getting repaired and it cost me £450.

What Diesel was this? I put 75,000 miles on a Honda Civic diesel with DPF and you were hard pushed to tell when it was doing a regen.
wayners32 m ago

Mate took his dpf off and punched a hole through and fitted it back on. …Mate took his dpf off and punched a hole through and fitted it back on. Then £45 off ebay for cable and software to link laptop to the car and flashed computer.. if memory serves. Didn't half smoke at first as all the cit got blown out and car run so much better. Companies around that would do this for a price but guess that's all finished now I guess

He may regret doing that, i believe there are new changes to the mot as of may 20th 2017 regarding tighter limits on emissions testing. Don't think it's just a visual check anymore. Same as egr blanks. Glad i've had the sense to keep the old bits in the shed. More faffing about.
wayners34 m ago

Mate took his dpf off and punched a hole through and fitted it back on. …Mate took his dpf off and punched a hole through and fitted it back on. Then £45 off ebay for cable and software to link laptop to the car and flashed computer.. if memory serves. Didn't half smoke at first as all the cit got blown out and car run so much better. Companies around that would do this for a price but guess that's all finished now I guess

If he fails his next emissions test he could be in for a decent size fine:

"It is an offence under the Road vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations (Regulation 61a(3))1 to use a vehicle which has been modified in such a way that it no longer complies with the air pollutant emissions standards it was designed to meet. Removal of a DPF will almost invariably contravene these requirements, making the vehicle illegal for road use. The potential penalties for failing to comply with Regulation 61a are fines of up to £1,000 for a car or £2,500 for a light goods vehicle."
CoeK24 m ago

I think removing the bad stuff from your exhaust gas is a good thing and i …I think removing the bad stuff from your exhaust gas is a good thing and i would imagine your friend will also have trouble with his MOT.

No. Cars been fooling mot for years as it knows its being tested so cars computer changes fuel mixture. Also a flap that switches over to suck warm air which lowers emissions even more and was factory fitted. Only way to tell if dpf has been punched through is to look for smoke (they are going to start looking for this soon) or diagnostic as dpf information has been wiped. Think some are going to get caught and cars fail mot though
airfix20 m ago

Why do you want a car on stilts? Unless you go off roading and need ground …Why do you want a car on stilts? Unless you go off roading and need ground clearance.

Pot holes dear boy.
OldEnglish2 m ago

Pot holes dear boy.

Same to you
OldEnglish5 m ago

..... keep the old bits in the shed. More faffing about.

I've heard about what chaps get up to with their old bits in the shed ...... oh you said faffing. Just ignore me.
wayners5 m ago

No. Cars been fooling mot for years as it knows its being tested so cars …No. Cars been fooling mot for years as it knows its being tested so cars computer changes fuel mixture. Also a flap that switches over to suck warm air which lowers emissions even more and was factory fitted. Only way to tell if dpf has been punched through is to look for smoke (they are going to start looking for this soon) or diagnostic as dpf information has been wiped. Think some are going to get caught and cars fail mot though

33309349-2Vydj.jpg
Saturn2 m ago

I've heard about what chaps get up to with their old bits in the shed …I've heard about what chaps get up to with their old bits in the shed ...... oh you said faffing. Just ignore me.

What goes on in my shed is my business
OldEnglish3 m ago

[Image]

Some dpf have had hole cut in then plate fitted over hole so obvious it's been tampered with. Others have been taken off and punched out so no evidence.. Let's see what happens.. Like I said.. Some will be caught
jayonline851 h, 32 m ago

So I bought my diesel to save on fuel and now every couple of weeks I have …So I bought my diesel to save on fuel and now every couple of weeks I have to put the car in 4th gear on the motorway around 3000rpm for 20 minutes and do a manual DPF regeneration to clear the soot from the DPF. This uses a lot of fuel too, showing up as 18-20mpg during the regen. I was unaware at the time I bought my first diesel that I would regularly need to do this. It also was part of the emissions scandal and after it got “the fix” the egr valve failed which is a common thing after getting repaired and it cost me £450.

that is only needed if you buy a diesel and do city driving, if you regularly do motorway driving there is no need to. But anyone who buys a diesel and just does city driving shouldn't buy a diesel.

Funny thing is new diesel engines are as clean as petrol, and zero emissions car are not the answer, not green for a starters unless you buy a green one and if as much money had been spent on other fuels as it has with the current battery cars we could have been further down the road on a sensible solution by now.

Car drivers are seen as the devil, but lets not worry about the higher polluting vehicles that are out there or the lack of non green electricity but as someone on here said a few weeks ago, its okay to have a polluting power station or buses as long as they are not in the big city!
eslick1 m ago

that is only needed if you buy a diesel and do city driving, if you …that is only needed if you buy a diesel and do city driving, if you regularly do motorway driving there is no need to. But anyone who buys a diesel and just does city driving shouldn't buy a diesel.Funny thing is new diesel engines are as clean as petrol, and zero emissions car are not the answer, not green for a starters unless you buy a green one and if as much money had been spent on other fuels as it has with the current battery cars we could have been further down the road on a sensible solution by now.Car drivers are seen as the devil, but lets not worry about the higher polluting vehicles that are out there or the lack of non green electricity but as someone on here said a few weeks ago, its okay to have a polluting power station or buses as long as they are not in the big city!

Power stations are a lot more efficient than car engines.
CoeK1 m ago

Power stations are a lot more efficient than car engines.

might be but not in my back yard mentality doesnt help
eslick2 m ago

might be but not in my back yard mentality doesnt help

I'm sure there are multiple reasons for preferring power generated on the grid. Efficiency, it isn't in major population centres(usually) there are green options for generating electricity, the pollution released isn't released at ground level.

But you could of course just feel sad about the one thing that is negative.
wayners30 m ago

Some dpf have had hole cut in then plate fitted over hole so obvious it's …Some dpf have had hole cut in then plate fitted over hole so obvious it's been tampered with. Others have been taken off and punched out so no evidence.. Let's see what happens.. Like I said.. Some will be caught

Yes, mines a dummy cat so visually looks ok. It's just another way for the government to get more money out of the motorist, under the pretence that it’s to save the planet. Same as all these "Low emissions zone charges" They want as all to be driving around in hybrid vehicles & will make it not worth owning a diesel car in the end.
CoeK18 m ago

I'm sure there are multiple reasons for preferring power generated on the …I'm sure there are multiple reasons for preferring power generated on the grid. Efficiency, it isn't in major population centres(usually) there are green options for generating electricity, the pollution released isn't released at ground level.But you could of course just feel sad about the one thing that is negative.

no the only thing I feel sad about is when people who live in cities try and tell people that its ok to pollute another area as long as it doesn't affect them that was my point in the original comment. Even the OP wants people so send ideas to London traffic or the Mayor, you know what most of us don't live in London, we need an approach for the whole country and with that I mean not just Birmingham, Manchester everywhere.

My problem with zero emissions is only a little towards the generation of electricity, and that is we produce whats the figure about 5% less than we actually need in the winter at the moment, major investment is needed before we all end up with an electric car. My main problem with those who push for zero emissions is on the actual green credentials from mining the battery material to the shipping across the world and back in the most efficient cargo ships in the world and blinkering thinking that its ok because the car is zero emissions at the motor and yes non zero emissions are as well but battery even more. If we had spent as much on development of say investigation into hydrogen then we may have had a car that does what a petrol one does rather than something which is really a stop cap at the moment and probably will be for many years to come. Hydrogen may not be the answer, but now there are multiple manufacturers working on it and not the single one there is a chance we could end up with something that resembles a current car, but then thats not what the politicians want they want less cars on the road full stop.
eslick15 m ago

no the only thing I feel sad about is when people who live in cities try …no the only thing I feel sad about is when people who live in cities try and tell people that its ok to pollute another area as long as it doesn't affect them that was my point in the original comment. Even the OP wants people so send ideas to London traffic or the Mayor, you know what most of us don't live in London, we need an approach for the whole country and with that I mean not just Birmingham, Manchester everywhere. My problem with zero emissions is only a little towards the generation of electricity, and that is we produce whats the figure about 5% less than we actually need in the winter at the moment, major investment is needed before we all end up with an electric car. My main problem with those who push for zero emissions is on the actual green credentials from mining the battery material to the shipping across the world and back in the most efficient cargo ships in the world and blinkering thinking that its ok because the car is zero emissions at the motor and yes non zero emissions are as well but battery even more. If we had spent as much on development of say investigation into hydrogen then we may have had a car that does what a petrol one does rather than something which is really a stop cap at the moment and probably will be for many years to come. Hydrogen may not be the answer, but now there are multiple manufacturers working on it and not the single one there is a chance we could end up with something that resembles a current car, but then thats not what the politicians want they want less cars on the road full stop.

I've not seen anyone say it was ok to pollute other areas. You must be doing a lot of between the lines reading.

One word, paragraphs...

We should of course invest in greener ways to generate electricity so it would be a good idea to spend your energy pushing for that rather than complaining that nobody cares about you. Electric cars are here and won't go away anytime soon, regardless of what you think companies should invest their time and money into.
Guys another thing they are making less money with diesel fuel pumps because new diesel engines are screwing them so they needed a way to get also the guy who invented diesel engine and told can run on other oils was mysteriously found dead... some people running cars on water in the world but I bet it will never take off here
Family size cars that are 1.6 diesels and 120bhp or more then you have 4x4's 1.6 diesels so it' a money game if they cared about environment something would have been done long time ago also labour or other parties are controlled
Bobbajob1 h, 20 m ago

What Diesel was this? I put 75,000 miles on a Honda Civic diesel with DPF …What Diesel was this? I put 75,000 miles on a Honda Civic diesel with DPF and you were hard pushed to tell when it was doing a regen.

It’s a Passat sport 2.0 L and I’ve clocked it up to 135,000 miles, DPF light comes on almost every week and I would say 90% of my driving is city driving and this will be the cause. So a lot of idling. The cars engine is probably running about 6 hours a day. I know when it’s going to give me a warning before it happens because when I’m idling at traffic lights just as I pull off a puff of white smoke comes out, usually a day after that the DPF warning light comes on. I was considering getting it de-catted and remapped but I’m worried that the mot test centre might start doing other checks on diesels in the near future. Although the person who does my MOT hinted I could’ve had the DPF removed after it passed MOT
aleemiqbal31525 m ago

Guys another thing they are making less money with diesel fuel pumps …Guys another thing they are making less money with diesel fuel pumps because new diesel engines are screwing them so they needed a way to get also the guy who invented diesel engine and told can run on other oils was mysteriously found dead... some people running cars on water in the world but I bet it will never take off here

Now you have gone off the reservation.
It will be a long time before a petrol or electric car would suit my needs.
Not everyone dawdles around the city and has a cosy 3 mile (walkable) commute).

My annual mileage is currently in excess of 30,000 miles per annum - i dread to think how much extra that would have cost me in a petrol, or how much longer it would have spent recharging an electric car.
CoeK15 m ago

I've not seen anyone say it was ok to pollute other areas. You must be …I've not seen anyone say it was ok to pollute other areas. You must be doing a lot of between the lines reading.One word, paragraphs...We should of course invest in greener ways to generate electricity so it would be a good idea to spend your energy pushing for that rather than complaining that nobody cares about you. Electric cars are here and won't go away anytime soon, regardless of what you think companies should invest their time and money into.

sadly the comment was real on here and I took it up with the poster and they kept saying it in a similar recent thread.

I don't know where you get the opinion I am talking about nobody cares about me that has nothing to do with this thread. I am just giving my opinion on the Ops question which I thought we all were doing.

And as for paragraphs, I type on here doing other things like many do, don't have time to worry about paragraphs, punctuation, I type quickly and sometimes it doesn't make any sense just the ramblings of a old man but who cares its a shopping forum not my actual job. If people care about it to much they can simply do what most people do and move on.
eslick1 m ago

sadly the comment was real on here and I took it up with the poster and …sadly the comment was real on here and I took it up with the poster and they kept saying it in a similar recent thread.I don't know where you get the opinion I am talking about nobody cares about me that has nothing to do with this thread. I am just giving my opinion on the Ops question which I thought we all were doing. And as for paragraphs, I type on here doing other things like many do, don't have time to worry about paragraphs, punctuation, I type quickly and sometimes it doesn't make any sense just the ramblings of a old man but who cares its a shopping forum not my actual job. If people care about it to much they can simply do what most people do and move on.

If you care enough to type you should also care about being understood.
I wonder how many idiots have rushed out to buy a new "clean" petrol/electric car and scrapped a perfectly servicable diesel.

yeah - because manufacturing a new car and scrapping an old car is really going to save the environment isnt it
HotEnglishAndWelshDeals3 h, 11 m ago

Looking at new SUVs and diesel still seems the way to go for the next 3 …Looking at new SUVs and diesel still seems the way to go for the next 3 years. After that hopefully there's a decent hybrid option or at least a greater range of petrols.

Mitsubishi Outlander.
jayonline854 m ago

It’s a Passat sport 2.0 L and I’ve clocked it up to 135,000 miles, DPF lig …It’s a Passat sport 2.0 L and I’ve clocked it up to 135,000 miles, DPF light comes on almost every week and I would say 90% of my driving is city driving and this will be the cause. So a lot of idling. The cars engine is probably running about 6 hours a day. I know when it’s going to give me a warning before it happens because when I’m idling at traffic lights just as I pull off a puff of white smoke comes out, usually a day after that the DPF warning light comes on. I was considering getting it de-catted and remapped but I’m worried that the mot test centre might start doing other checks on diesels in the near future. Although the person who does my MOT hinted I could’ve had the DPF removed after it passed MOT

and thats your problem, new cars with DPFs aren't made for that type of driving.
CoeK1 m ago

If you care enough to type you should also care about being understood.

lets just wish each other a great day and move on
eslick1 m ago

lets just wish each other a great day and move on

Done
eslick1 h, 1 m ago

that is only needed if you buy a diesel and do city driving, if you …that is only needed if you buy a diesel and do city driving, if you regularly do motorway driving there is no need to. But anyone who buys a diesel and just does city driving shouldn't buy a diesel.Funny thing is new diesel engines are as clean as petrol, and zero emissions car are not the answer, not green for a starters unless you buy a green one and if as much money had been spent on other fuels as it has with the current battery cars we could have been further down the road on a sensible solution by now.Car drivers are seen as the devil, but lets not worry about the higher polluting vehicles that are out there or the lack of non green electricity but as someone on here said a few weeks ago, its okay to have a polluting power station or buses as long as they are not in the big city!

Yeah, should’ve mentioned my driving mileage is about 700-800 miles a week around 6 hours a day of constant city driving. Lots of idling and I don’t like using stop start as I feel stop/starting a couple of hundred times a day is not good for the engine and starter motor. Not certain about this though, just a thought.
There's emergency you forgot to charge your electric car oops to make matters worse your disabled or elderly????? Another fact the car was a rip off price which is going to get higher because od demand. They need a system where it automatically charges when switched off for more than 2 hours or so but that won't happen because what' the point can't make money if a car charges itself
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants