EXPIRED

Diesel or Petrol

Hi - I have the choice of a Ford Focus diesel or petrol engine and am at a loss as to which to get. Some friends have recommended diesel because of lower car tax and cheaper overall fuel efficiency/costs, others have said that diesels have higher servicing costs and expensive parts so to avoid them. The £35 a year car tax really appeals compared to the £155, but not if it is just going to be spent elsewhere.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Not sure what information to include to help give any advice other than what I have put below.

I will be using the car for mainly short journeys. Will do about 8000 miles a year.
The intention is to keep the car as long as it still goes, so not bothered about resell value.

20 Comments

derv all the way

derv?

Diesel engines last longer - "higher servicing costs and expensive parts" ? NONSENSE

DERV, Diesel Engine Road Vehicle

Depends on the milage as a rule of thumb if you do over 14,000 miles a year you'll save more with the diesel, otherwise the extra cost of the fuel offsets any mialge savings.

You can google for tools that give you a much more accurate figure.

hotdealing;7801353

Depends on the milage as a rule of thumb if you do over 14,000 miles a … Depends on the milage as a rule of thumb if you do over 14,000 miles a year you'll save more with the diesel, otherwise the extra cost of the fuel offsets any mialge savings. You can google for tools that give you a much more accurate figure.

That's seems a load of rubbish to me.

Diesel is about 3-4% dearer atm.

You will averagely get at least 20% more to the gallon out of a diesel.

Match the 2, no brainer for me.

Original Poster

osiris;7801258

Diesel engines last longer - "higher servicing costs and expensive parts" … Diesel engines last longer - "higher servicing costs and expensive parts" ? NONSENSE

Was told for example that the DPF is about £1000 to replace.

Doing 8000 miles a year doesn't really warrant getting a diesel if you are looking to save money. The car usually cost a little more and "in general" servicing costs are marginally higher, but insignificant, you may have to slip in an extra oli change every now and then.

But I would still get a diesel for 2 reasons

1) Usually better resale value (I know you said not bothered, but always worth knowing)
2) Better driving experience as the low down torque on the Diesel is superior to the petrol

Overall I prefer diesels due to cold weather starting and really damp conditions, my experience with Petrol cars I realise is now 14 years ago, but I love my Diesels. And its fantastic from a day to day running when you fill your car with a diesel doing only 8000/year you will probably only fill up once a month, whereas a Petrol it might be every 2 weeks. Its difficult to judge because it will depend on your driving. Looking at the data taking the urban figures. With 1.6 Petrol you will get 32.5mpg, and with the 1.6 Diesel you will get 50.4mpg, so quite a significant saving, which is better that the slight increase in fuel price
Diesel all the way for me

I do high milage 50000 mile plus a year at the moment i use a rover 420 2.0 litre diesel v reg.
I change the oil every 6000 miles and the air filter and fuel filter at the same time.Total cost for service is.
National tyres oil and filter change is £26.10 air filter £8.00 fuel filter £12.00 changed by me all in £46.10.
Got the car 2 + years ago with 56000 now have 1650894 miles and have not had one day off the road apart from when i service it.
I will get at least 250000 miles out of the car then scrap it.
So diesel diesel diesel all the way.

Comments about Diesel costing more than petrol if you're doing low milage is rubbish. Its true though that you won't save as much but you will still save money. The more miles you do the more you'd save over the petrol equivalent.

I drive a Ford Fiesta 1.6 Diesel and I average 500-600 miles a tank if I'm careful. The petrol equivalent of my car doesn't come close to that. So for the extra 2p per litre is completely insignificant. Plus I regulalry see Diesel for the same price as petrol the now.

bigwheels;7803971

I do high milage 50000 mile plus a year at the moment i use a rover 420 … I do high milage 50000 mile plus a year at the moment i use a rover 420 2.0 litre diesel v reg.I change the oil every 6000 miles and the air filter and fuel filter at the same time.Total cost for service is.National tyres oil and filter change is £26.10 air filter £8.00 fuel filter £12.00 changed by me all in £46.10.Got the car 2 + years ago with 56000 now have 1650894 miles and have not had one day off the road apart from when i service it.I will get at least 250000 miles out of the car then scrap it.So diesel diesel diesel all the way.

Got an R reg one best car I've ever had same exhaust from new. Had it 8 years only major part replaced starter motor

Either really i'd say, along time ago the difference in prices of fuel meant that afetr the initial outlay for the car on a diesel it was cheaper to run, not the case anymore though.

Rather than get into the whole petrol / diesel arguement. (everybody has an opinion and everybody thinks they are right ) Check out this link :thumbsup:

]http//ww…el/

crunch;7813501

Rather than get into the whole petrol / diesel arguement. (everybody has … Rather than get into the whole petrol / diesel arguement. (everybody has an opinion and everybody thinks they are right ) Check out this link :thumbsup:]http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/petrol-vs-diesel/#

parkers.co.uk/car…935

There you go Ford Focus: Petrol 42 miles per gallon Diesel 62 miles per gallon :thumbsup:
Another thing you might like to take into consideration - Diesel is safer as it is not as volatile as Petrol.

The Parker site is excellent, although based on simply cost savings. And this is great if you are wanting to buy diesel simply to save money

Original Poster

Thank you for all for your advice, I was thinking diesel myself after looking into costs for fuel and car tax savings. I was then told by various people about higher servicing costs and that parts like the pump and DPF were very expensive to replace.

They advised that although I would be saving on car tax and fuel overall that the savings would be wiped out with it being more expensive on insurance for the same models and servicing/repair costs would be higher.

osiris;7819647

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/petrol-vs-diesel/?deriv=38935#manu=2514&model=1321&deriv=38935There you go Ford Focus: Petrol 42 miles per gallon Diesel 62 miles per gallon :thumbsup:Another thing you might like to take into consideration - Diesel is safer as it is not as volatile as Petrol.

Like i said everyone has an opinion and everyone thinks they are right :whistling:

[SIZE="5"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Why not get a petrol car then convert it to LPG:whistling:[/COLOR][/SIZE]

petrol diesel better if doing long journeys but wont do more miles to gallon on short urban journeys

crunch;7825521

Like i said everyone has an opinion and everyone thinks they are right … Like i said everyone has an opinion and everyone thinks they are right :whistling:

"Hi - I have the choice of a Ford Focus diesel or petrol engine and am at a loss as to which to get" :whistling:
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Kia Rio 1.0 T-GDI (petrol) vs Rio 1.4 CRDI (diesel)67
    2. Parcel2go - missing parcel to italy34
    3. Any eBay final value fee promos?11
    4. Sportsmania.eu down. Any alternatives?2342

See more discussions