Groups

Diet advice for improving body muscle AND to gain weight??

Hi All,
    Im hoping i can get some useful advice/examples of what foods i should be eating to improve both weight and muscle gain.
    Im abouts 5"8 in height and weigh around 11 and half stone, im wanting to get bigger as ive always had a small frame and would just like to gain more muscle on arms,shoulders and define abs etc.
    Im a complete begginer but have started at the gym a few weeks ago and alreadt feeling better in myself but obviously no major signs yet showing.
    My diet has always been terrible of which im not proud, i literally only eat junk funk - the usual pizzas,chips, kebabs, chinease foods, and my lunch at work is generally sandwiches with can of pop and buns crisps (no idea why im not 20 odd stone but sure my colestoral will be bad). I very regularly snack on chocolate bars and crisps.
    Anyway i want to improve my diet and my friend tells me i should just eat as much protein food as possible, chicken, turkey, eggs - but whats a typical good example of a daily eat and how can you vary it to be able to enjoy your food whilst it is still good for your body????

As you can tell i really have no idea what constitues good food as ive been lucky enough not to become overweight despite the rubbish i eat, but i know its doing me no good so i want to change.

34 Comments

Stop eating all the junk food, eat healthy, lots of protein and a good solid workout pattern is all you need

Banned

If you want to be like micoo then stop trying.

Original Poster

Thanks mate - i know this sounds dumb but what constitues "lots of protein and eat healthy"??
    I work in an office and basically visit the sandwich shop each day - what would you reccomend to eat and drink that can be enjoyed but is also benefiting my training???

micoo

Stop eating all the junk food, eat healthy, lots of protein and a good … Stop eating all the junk food, eat healthy, lots of protein and a good solid workout pattern is all you need

Banned

6 meals a day, plenty of carbs before workout and protein throughout the day.

Protein shakes are the easiest way to go. Myprotein are good for whey protein, all-in-ones and weight gainers. Plenty of chicken, tuna, steaks etc.

It depends how often you can workout too. Plus then there's the supplements etc.

Original Poster

Like i say im a beginner so im going every 2 days - my workout is pretty basic, i do 20 minutes running which generally is abit over 2 miles, then i do 10 reps x 3 on a shoulder machine, 10 x 3 reps on a chest press, then 10 x 3 on some curls........ i know its nothing great im going to speak with the guy to set me a programme up.

nick1981

Thanks mate - i know this sounds dumb but what constitues "lots of … Thanks mate - i know this sounds dumb but what constitues "lots of protein and eat healthy"??I work in an office and basically visit the sandwich shop each day - what would you reccomend to eat and drink that can be enjoyed but is also benefiting my training???

Meat will get the protein in you, chicken and tuna are best for it. Eggs too.

Exactly that, just eat sandwiches and healthily cooked meals (stuff like pasta with chicken etc), cut down the chocy bars and replace them with fruit. You dont need to stop eating sweets and fast food completely, just get them out of your daily routine and treat them as a luxary that you can have once a week (fast food) and once a day (chocy bars)

Banned

The best whey protein on the market is Gold standard whey by Optimum nutrition.

amazon.co.uk/Opt…8-1

2 scoops of this a day.

Then buy a bag of impact whey from myprotein for a 3rd scoop if you really want it.

myprotein.com/uk/…ein

Get yourself a smart shaker from ebay. That way you can carry around 3 lots of protein as the shaker has 3 compartments. Easy for work

amazon.co.uk/Sma…8-4

For your diet i recommend you do a few google searches so you can see the type of essentials you're going to need but the stuff you like too.

Good luck

Banned

nick1981

Like i say im a beginner so im going every 2 days - my workout is pretty … Like i say im a beginner so im going every 2 days - my workout is pretty basic, i do 20 minutes running which generally is abit over 2 miles, then i do 10 reps x 3 on a shoulder machine, 10 x 3 reps on a chest press, then 10 x 3 on some curls........ i know its nothing great im going to speak with the guy to set me a programme up.

You need to go more. If you're serious about putting on muscle then you actually have to work at it.

You can eat lots of protein but if you're not actually using it to fuel a decent workout then you're just going to end up with a spare tyre and expensive poo.

Banned

If like me you're not keen on eggs then look up eggnation for instant egg whites. Great thing about this is you can drink it down raw.

eggnation.co.uk/

Original Poster

Ive heard about drinking/eating egg white........sounds pretty disgusting tho !!!!!
    Are hot roast post sarnies or tuna mayo sarnies any good??...also what to suggest to drink?..milk/orange juice????

Elton Chong

If like me you're not keen on eggs then look up eggnation for instant egg … If like me you're not keen on eggs then look up eggnation for instant egg whites. Great thing about this is you can drink it down raw.

Banned

nick1981

Ive heard about drinking/eating egg white........sounds pretty disgusting … Ive heard about drinking/eating egg white........sounds pretty disgusting tho !!!!!Are hot roast post sarnies or tuna mayo sarnies any good??...also what to suggest to drink?..milk/orange juice????

Dont drink raw eggs. Not worth the risk. The stuff from eggnation has been treated so its safe. Probably not as good as proper eggs but good for people not into eggs and also very convenient.

Tuna is great.

Get your fruit and veg in.

Drink healthy drinks like fresh orange that's all good.

Make your protein shakes with water after a workout, goes straight in quicker.

I strongly recommend you read up some proper body building diets though. You can tailor these for yourself because only you know what you like.

Banned

I'd also be inclined to invest a little in a personal trainer for about a month.

It is expensive but it will stand you in good stead for life.

Better yet, if you have a buddy who knows his stuff then go to the gym with him

Steroids...

Just eat right, 4 meals a day (plus 2 protein shakes). Lots of complex carbs and protein, I also mix oats with protein.

Concerntrate on the bigs lifts, deadlifts, bench press, military press, squats, dips and chin ups for the first 6 months

Banned

Chidda

Concerntrate on the bigs lifts, deadlifts, bench press, military press, … Concerntrate on the bigs lifts, deadlifts, bench press, military press, squats, dips and chin ups for the first 6 months

Definately get a trainer or competent friend if you're gonna do this.

But yeah i agree with the advice

Banned

Chidda

Steroids...Just eat right, 4 meals a day (plus 2 protein shakes). Lots of … Steroids...Just eat right, 4 meals a day (plus 2 protein shakes). Lots of complex carbs and protein, I also mix oats with protein. Concerntrate on the bigs lifts, deadlifts, bench press, military press, squats, dips and chin ups for the first 6 months

Good stuff. Oats are a great breakfast either your normal porridge or the finer oats thrown straight into a shake or smoothie.

Original Poster

Does weetabix count for breakfast???
    Theres alot of none conventional sounding foods being quoted it seems. I would prefer to eat normal foods such as a pork/turkey sandwhich rather than somekind of formula if you get me.

FilthAndFurry

Good stuff. Oats are a great breakfast either your normal porridge or the … Good stuff. Oats are a great breakfast either your normal porridge or the finer oats thrown straight into a shake or smoothie.

Banned

nick1981

Does weetabix count for breakfast???Theres alot of none conventional … Does weetabix count for breakfast???Theres alot of none conventional sounding foods being quoted it seems. I would prefer to eat normal foods such as a pork/turkey sandwhich rather than somekind of formula if you get me.

Nothing wrong with a wholemeal turkey sandwich. But getting enough protein in your diet isn't as easy as it sounds without going the protein shake route.

Weetabix is fine.

Banned

Protein shakes aside i eat normal.

But im not a hard gainer, im a naturally big guy so i dont have to try so hard.

Depending on your natural attributes you may need to overcompensate and eating for some is a disciplined routine and you may have to eat foods you arent necessarily mad about and and often.

Sleep is also key and water

Everything Chong and Furry said.

Lots of protein and generally eat healthy. Also 3 sets of 30 reps isn't a massive workout mate. Try push yourself to do a good 1.5 hours in the gym.

Original Poster

Ok well tmrw im going to have weetabix for breakfast and for dinner tuna mayo sarny with milk and an egg custard bun.
    Then for tea probably turkey and pasta.
    I have a large tub of "body fortress" weight and muscle gainer that i bought from Chemist - do you suggest me having a shake every day or just straight after i go training (every 2 days)

Banned

You need to have a target in mind of how big you want to get and how much time you can commit to it. If you're happy to get a little bit more definition then a couple of extra shakes a day might do it.

But you might find that once your workout plan is actually sorted out that you actually enjoy making gains and you'll have to revise what you're eating. Even then you can still indulge in treats and eating healthily in large quantities doesn't have to become a chore. Protein shakes taste great and so does healthy food. There are plenty of sites out there with suggestions and the buzz you'll get from looking and feeling better is always worth it.

Original Poster

Great advice mate thanks - i will continue to go around 3 times a week as that is what i have spare with my work and cricket, but my own personal gain is to get biggers arms and be able to have a larger frame - nothing massive just larger than the 11 and half stone and 32 waist i have (dont enjoy being the scrawny one out of my friends!)

FilthAndFurry

You need to have a target in mind of how big you want to get and how much … You need to have a target in mind of how big you want to get and how much time you can commit to it. If you're happy to get a little bit more definition then a couple of extra shakes a day might do it.But you might find that once your workout plan is actually sorted out that you actually enjoy making gains and you'll have to revise what you're eating. Even then you can still indulge in treats and eating healthily in large quantities doesn't have to become a chore. Protein shakes taste great and so does healthy food. There are plenty of sites out there with suggestions and the buzz you'll get from looking and feeling better is always worth it.

Banned

And if you want to become a beast with kurganesque stature like me i will come down to your gym and make you puke.

Seriously you havent trained until you're puking in the gym.

nick1981

Great advice mate thanks - i will continue to go around 3 times a week as … Great advice mate thanks - i will continue to go around 3 times a week as that is what i have spare with my work and cricket, but my own personal gain is to get biggers arms and be able to have a larger frame - nothing massive just larger than the 11 and half stone and 32 waist i have (dont enjoy being the scrawny one out of my friends!)

Size isn't everything mate.

My old man (early-mid 40s) is 13 stone but is an absolute monster in the gym. He benches 120KG+ which most of the 17+ stone juice heads can't do. They just stare at him like who is this crazy mid aged bloke showing us up haha.

Mind you he has done it since before he was a teenager and in his young 20s was pretty bulky. He benefits from the muscle memory.

Banned

Power is a natural attibute for some. I have a friend who doesnt work out but the guy is a beast, his punch is an absolute killer as well.

Elton Chong

Power is a natural attibute for some. I have a friend who doesnt work out … Power is a natural attibute for some. I have a friend who doesnt work out but the guy is a beast, his punch is an absolute killer as well.

Too right. His strength is crazy when looking at his size. I mean he is quite bulky but being stronger than people who are a whole 5 stone bulkier than you is insane.

Myself on the other hand is going through the process of killing myself in the gym in an attempt to being like the senior dtovey89.

Banned

Some people think you can become as strong as you want if you put the work in but that is crap.

Sure you can improve but some people just have a gift. They will always hit harder lift more than someone else.

I think of it in terms of wood and steel. You can make a sword out of wood and you can make it out of steel but the steel is the superior material.

Read through all the stickies on the myprotein forum community.myprotein.com/for…php everything you need to know is there. The beginner section and bodybuilding section is very useful.
    Edited by: "Dantooine" 14th Jun 2011

Elton Chong

And if you want to become a beast with kurganesque stature like me i will … And if you want to become a beast with kurganesque stature like me i will come down to your gym and make you puke.Seriously you havent trained until you're puking in the gym.

If you're puking then you're over-training.

Banned

Dantooine

If you're puking then you're over-training.

Possibly, but if you're pushing yourself really hard then it does (very) occasionally happen. Usually it's limited to pre-season though.

FilthAndFurry

Possibly, but if you're pushing yourself really hard then it does (very) … Possibly, but if you're pushing yourself really hard then it does (very) occasionally happen. Usually it's limited to pre-season though.

I've often felt a bit sick, but thats when I know at im at my limit. I'd never push myself to throw up(which sounds like this guy does!), any preworkout meal is wasted! Thats taking a step backwards, and will take you longer to recover.

Dantooine

I've often felt a bit sick, but thats when I know at im at my limit. I'd … I've often felt a bit sick, but thats when I know at im at my limit. I'd never push myself to throw up(which sounds like this guy does!), any preworkout meal is wasted! Thats taking a step backwards, and will take you longer to recover.

Chong = Kurgan.

Puke or waste of session :P

eat more snacks, stuff like nuts, fruit eggs chicken

Put 2 egg whites in your protein shake as an extra, just make sure they are Lion stamped and you'll be fine.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. 'Hard' Brexit offers '£135bn annual boost' to economy - BBC News45
      2. PlayStation Hacked Again?33
      3. How dangerous is Donald trump?33193
      4. Now TV CODES - Free Sky Entertainment/Kids/Cinema/Sports1020

See more discussions