Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Difference between Mario games

Posted 11th Nov
So am looking at some games for the Nintendo Switch and have decided on Mario Kart.

I wanted one other Mario game, can anyone explain to me the difference between Super Mario Odyssey and Super Mario Bros U Deluxe? And which would be more suitable as a 2-player game for kids? (Both under 10yrs old)

Thanks!
Community Updates
Ask
13 Comments
Super Mario Odyssey is a '3D' platform game (in that you can move around freely in all dimensions) and is part of the same series as Super Mario 64 on the N64, Super Mario Sunshine on the Gamecube, and Super Mario Galaxy 1&2 on the Wii. Super Mario Bros U Deluxe is an old skool 2d scrolling platform game, in the tradition of the original Super Mario Bros game on the NES and Super Mario World on the SNES. I'd definitely go for Super Mario Odyssey for a 10 year old, it's simply a better game, arguably more fun, and the 2D Super Mario Bros U can be a little frustrating for younger gamers raised on 3d platform games.
Super Mario Bros U is a typical 2d sidescrolling platform game originally brought out on the Wii U whereas Odyssey is an open world expansive game.

Do the kids have or have they played other consoles?

I would go for Super Mario Bros U if they haven't. It might be a bit older than Odyssey but a fun game, easy to get into and start playing and the controls are pretty straight forward.
Haircut_10011/11/2019 11:34

Super Mario Odyssey is a '3D' platform game (in that you can move around …Super Mario Odyssey is a '3D' platform game (in that you can move around freely in all dimensions) and is part of the same series as Super Mario 64 on the N64, Super Mario Sunshine on the Gamecube, and Super Mario Galaxy 1&2 on the Wii. Super Mario Bros U Deluxe is an old skool 2d scrolling platform game, in the tradition of the original Super Mario Bros game on the NES and Super Mario World on the SNES. I'd definitely go for Super Mario Odyssey for a 10 year old, it's simply a better game, arguably more fun, and the 2D Super Mario Bros U can be a little frustrating for younger gamers raised on 3d platform games.

What a great answer, thank you so much for clarifying this! Mario Odyssey sounds perfect for them
psychedelicrenegade11/11/2019 11:39

Super Mario Bros U is a typical 2d sidescrolling platform game originally …Super Mario Bros U is a typical 2d sidescrolling platform game originally brought out on the Wii U whereas Odyssey is an open world expansive game.Do the kids have or have they played other consoles?I would go for Super Mario Bros U if they haven't. It might be a bit older than Odyssey but a fun game, easy to get into and start playing and the controls are pretty straight forward.

Oh that’s interesting too! Hadn’t thought about manoeuvrability. They have an Xbox one and are “Minecraft” pros, so im guessing odyssey will be like that?
My son is 9 but had his switch since about 7 and he loves odyssey and completed it in a week. He doesn’t actually like Mario u he had it on the wii u, if only getting the one it has to be odyssey it’s made for the switch the other one is a wii u game the put on the switch. In fact I think it’s actually a wii game that went on the wii u.
toonsquirel11/11/2019 12:55

My son is 9 but had his switch since about 7 and he loves odyssey and …My son is 9 but had his switch since about 7 and he loves odyssey and completed it in a week. He doesn’t actually like Mario u he had it on the wii u, if only getting the one it has to be odyssey it’s made for the switch the other one is a wii u game the put on the switch. In fact I think it’s actually a wii game that went on the wii u.

Good to know thank you, my older is same age as yours too so think odyssey it is then
RadiatorRules11/11/2019 13:18

Good to know thank you, my older is same age as yours too so think odyssey …Good to know thank you, my older is same age as yours too so think odyssey it is then

Mario Odyssey is definitely a better game as a whole, but the 2 player mode is dreadful. New Super Mario Bros U deluxe is by far the better multiplayer game.
In my opinion if they like Minecraft, then they will love Mario Maker 2
toonsquirel11/11/2019 12:55

My son is 9 but had his switch since about 7 and he loves odyssey and …My son is 9 but had his switch since about 7 and he loves odyssey and completed it in a week. He doesn’t actually like Mario u he had it on the wii u, if only getting the one it has to be odyssey it’s made for the switch the other one is a wii u game the put on the switch. In fact I think it’s actually a wii game that went on the wii u.

My son is 7 and really doesn't like Super Mario Bros U, he finds it a bit frustrating as if you fall off a platform you die, he prefers games you can walk around a explore a little, like the Lego games, so Odyssey is a much better game for him. By the way Super Mario Bros U for the Wii U was an original game, not a port from the Wii. It's the third game in the New Super Mario Bros series which revived the 2D scrolling roots of 8 bit and 16 bit era games. The first New Super Mario Bros game was on the handheld DS, the second was New Super Mario Bros 2, a direct sequel on the 3DS, and the third was New Super Mario Bros U on the Wii U (and which had some DLC released for it called New Super Luigi U). The Wii U game and it's Luigi themed DLC was then ported across to the Switch as New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe and had a couple of extra characters added to it.
Haircut_10011/11/2019 14:59

My son is 7 and really doesn't like Super Mario Bros U, he finds it a bit …My son is 7 and really doesn't like Super Mario Bros U, he finds it a bit frustrating as if you fall off a platform you die, he prefers games you can walk around a explore a little, like the Lego games, so Odyssey is a much better game for him. By the way Super Mario Bros U for the Wii U was an original game, not a port from the Wii. It's the third game in the New Super Mario Bros series which revived the 2D scrolling roots of 8 bit and 16 bit era games. The first New Super Mario Bros game was on the handheld DS, the second was New Super Mario Bros 2, a direct sequel on the 3DS, and the third was New Super Mario Bros U on the Wii U (and which had some DLC released for it called New Super Luigi U). The Wii U game and it's Luigi themed DLC was then ported across to the Switch as New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe and had a couple of extra characters added to it.

Ah that’s right I’m thinking of the super Mario bro wii game, mario u was a follow on. I actually bought the mario/Luigi u game for the wii u and it cost me a fortune it was so hard to get a hold of. These ones are like modern takes on the original mario games many years ago, I’d say odyssey is like mario 64. I love them all but the kids don’t seem to like the scrolling style as much as the newer open world style.
JohnnyRoller11/11/2019 13:27

In my opinion if they like Minecraft, then they will love Mario Maker 2 …In my opinion if they like Minecraft, then they will love Mario Maker 2

There seems to be a lot more Mario games than I thought well at least I know for sure about Mario Kart!
Haircut_10011/11/2019 14:59

My son is 7 and really doesn't like Super Mario Bros U, he finds it a bit …My son is 7 and really doesn't like Super Mario Bros U, he finds it a bit frustrating as if you fall off a platform you die, he prefers games you can walk around a explore a little, like the Lego games, so Odyssey is a much better game for him. By the way Super Mario Bros U for the Wii U was an original game, not a port from the Wii. It's the third game in the New Super Mario Bros series which revived the 2D scrolling roots of 8 bit and 16 bit era games. The first New Super Mario Bros game was on the handheld DS, the second was New Super Mario Bros 2, a direct sequel on the 3DS, and the third was New Super Mario Bros U on the Wii U (and which had some DLC released for it called New Super Luigi U). The Wii U game and it's Luigi themed DLC was then ported across to the Switch as New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe and had a couple of extra characters added to it.

they like the Lego games on the Xbox alot so if odyssey is like that then it’s good
Thank you for all your answers! Didn’t even realise how many Mario games were available so this has been very informative. Think it’s going to be Mario Kart and Odyssey. Even if the kids don’t like odyssey I’m sure I will
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants