Different weights on carpet/hard floor

Found 26th Aug 2017
I just got a Fitbit Aria.
I know the weight should be measured on a hard surface to be accurate.
The thing is there is a massive difference between the weight registered on the hard surface vs on carpet. 50kg plus difference.
How is it possible? Most people online have a much smaller difference.
Also if I measure myself on my mum's mechanical scales I get a weight in between those two. About 20kg less than the one registered by the digital scales on the hard surface.

How am I gonna know which one is the real one?
Community Updates
Ask
8 Comments
Are you sure you've got the correct figures? 50kg is nearly 8 stone, I'm sure you would know if you weighed 12 stone or 20 stone. Do you mean 5kg and 2kg? There are many factors to take into account when weighing yourself, have you just eaten? what you're wearing, try and weigh yourself on the same day and time each week using the same scales on the same surface (as you've already stated, a hard surface is best) to get a better indication of your weight. If it's possible take your scales to your mums and weigh yourself there, then weigh yourself again on your mums scales putting her scales in the same place as yours were. Hope this helps. I've recently had to lose weight for an operation I'm waiting on, so I know how frustrating it can be to get the correct measurement. Fortunately my scales seem to register the same as the ones in the hospital.
Beebee1823 m ago

Are you sure you've got the correct figures? 50kg is nearly 8 stone, I'm …Are you sure you've got the correct figures? 50kg is nearly 8 stone, I'm sure you would know if you weighed 12 stone or 20 stone. Do you mean 5kg and 2kg? There are many factors to take into account when weighing yourself, have you just eaten? what you're wearing, try and weigh yourself on the same day and time each week using the same scales on the same surface (as you've already stated, a hard surface is best) to get a better indication of your weight. If it's possible take your scales to your mums and weigh yourself there, then weigh yourself again on your mums scales putting her scales in the same place as yours were. Hope this helps. I've recently had to lose weight for an operation I'm waiting on, so I know how frustrating it can be to get the correct measurement. Fortunately my scales seem to register the same as the ones in the hospital.

Yep. The figures are 50kg plus apart not 5. I know it sounds incredible. I tend to trust the higher figure more.
MMy mum's mechanical scales give a different reading altogether as well so I was confused.
II know the carpet makes you lighter but didn't expect a difference that huge.
II'll weigh myself always on the hard surface and consider that one my most likely weight.
Mechanical scales work by compressing a spring to give a readout of weight, as do most digital ones ( the difference is just the display ) . Do it on a piled carpet you are effectively putting another spring (the carpet ) between you and a solid base so the scales will only show a proportion of your weight .. The readings will vary with different carpets with different sets of scales (as the scales will have different springs in them ) . Find a solid floor (wood or concrete ) and you will find the scales' readings to be the same (more or less ) .

Also a good thing to be aware of when weighing your Holiday luggage ,saves a nasty surprise at the Airport .

Ye cannae defy the laws of Physics !
Edited by: "rogparki" 26th Aug 2017
go into a boots and weigh yourself on proper scales. Then go back and try mechanical and fitbit. Never use scales on a carpet unless its cord.
rogparki40 m ago

Mechanical scales work by compressing a spring to give a readout of …Mechanical scales work by compressing a spring to give a readout of weight, as do most digital ones ( the difference is just the display ) . Do it on a piled carpet you are effectively putting another spring (the carpet ) between you and a solid base so the scales will only show a proportion of your weight .. The readings will vary with different carpets with different sets of scales (as the scales will have different springs in them ) . Find a solid floor (wood or concrete ) and you will find the scales' readings to be the same (more or less ) .Also a good thing to be aware of when weighing your Holiday luggage ,saves a nasty surprise at the Airport . Ye cannae defy the laws of Physics !

The mechanical ones are on tiles so hard surface and still give me a reading that's several kilos inferior to the one digital scales give me on a hard surface .
I make sure to readjust the mechanical ones so they go back to 0 when I step down.
It's in between the false reading on carpet and the one on the hard surface of the digital scales.
II'll just use the digital ones on the same hard surface and maybe try scales in Boots to get a comparison.
hearts223 h, 31 m ago

The mechanical ones are on tiles so hard surface and still give me a …The mechanical ones are on tiles so hard surface and still give me a reading that's several kilos inferior to the one digital scales give me on a hard surface . I make sure to readjust the mechanical ones so they go back to 0 when I step down. It's in between the false reading on carpet and the one on the hard surface of the digital scales. II'll just use the digital ones on the same hard surface and maybe try scales in Boots to get a comparison.

I think one of your scales is duff . Try a friend's or neighbour's ,or indeed Boots but I'm sure you aren't bothered about the last few ounces , just knowing which scales are about right will do . Doing it on a carpet is no good ,always do it on a hard surface .Hope you sort it .
Edited by: "rogparki" 26th Aug 2017
Is it an unyielding surface or a hard, flexible surface (e.g. laminate with underlay)?

Home scales are frequently fairly lax with their accuracy. My kitchen scales use several sensors under a single plate and moving an item about on the plate can change it's measured weight by 10-20g.

It's makes it a lot easier to get the nice round numbers the recipie calls for that trying to measure out small amounts of stuff :P

I don't know what's typical for bathroom scales, but I'd have expected 2-3kg not 20kg.
If they are that wildly different, definitely head to Boots or somewhere to find out which is the most accurate - of the hard floor readings.
Carpet is definitely no good. Think when I put my scales on the carpet and tried, for whatever reason, it was about 40KG difference.
That said, the scales I've got, even on the bathroom hard floor, it varies from spot to spot, even a cm movement causes 2KG difference which isnt great for tracking weight loss.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants