Digihome TVs

Found 22nd Apr
Anyone have a Digihome TV, specifically the 49" 4K UHD model 49298, sold in Tesco?

We're looking to buy a new TV on Tuesday and have more or less settled on this as it's a lot of TV for a low price. I realise it's not the best out there, but overall Digihome TVs have a decent rep from what I've read?

The only aspect that worries me is that the refresh rate is only 50hz, and the contrast ratio is only 1200:1. These figures mean absolutely nothing to me, but I do know they are at the low end of the scale for this type of TV.

Is it really something to be worried about? We are upgrading from 10 year old 32", so it's going to look great to our untrained eye anyway.

Thanks for any help.
Community Updates
Ask
9 Comments
If you watch sport with low refresh rate it’ll look really blurry. A cheap tv like that is likely to last 4-5 years max
All TVs anywhere close to that price are 50hz, the cheapest 100hz TV is the LG SJ800 at £600. As the TV signal is broadcast at 50hz, 100hz is only of benefit for video when paired with software processing that attempts to calculate intermediate frames, you don't need any more than 50hz to see what's being broadcast.

You may see some TVs advertised as having an 'equivalent' 100hz refresh rate but that's just marketing wordplay.

1200:1 contrast ratio is normal for TVs using an IPS-type LCD panel, if you do tend to watch in a dimly lit room a lot then you may want to look around for a TV with a VA-type LCD, although they do have some trade-offs such as having the picture quality fall off more rapidly when viewed from an angle and more blurring on darker objects.

In short, both figures are entirely normal for both the budget and mainstream models and don't tell you much about the picture quality.

Judging by the pictures on the Tesco website it's a Vestel TV. Vestel do dominate the budget market, selling their TVs under brands like Hitatchi, JVC, Toshiba, Finlux, Celsius, Polaroid and so on.

I wouldn't automatically expect a TV to look better just because it's ten years newer. Being 4K and larger will mean it won't be able to hide the imperfections in the picture quality of broadcast TV as well.
deleted1132166
Had a look on Tesco online. Think it's ,£379. I would stay away. Hisense are probably the best budget end brand and are an upcoming company
.johnlewis.com/his…652
For just £20 more this is much better. And comes with a 5 year john Lewis guarantee
deleted113216622nd Apr

Had a look on Tesco online. Think it's ,£379. I would stay away. Hisense …Had a look on Tesco online. Think it's ,£379. I would stay away. Hisense are probably the best budget end brand and are an upcoming company.https://www.johnlewis.com/hisense-h49n5700-led-hdr-4k-ultra-hd-smart-tv-49-inch-with-freeview-hd-dark-grey/p3240652For just £20 more this is much better. And comes with a 5 year john Lewis guarantee

Sorry I should have mentioned, it's £329 in-store at the moment (£50 off) which is at the top end of our budget. Thanks for your reply though. I'm still open to ideas

@EndlessWaves thanks for a very informative reply, much appreciated. Is the comment by cmdr_elito about watching sports at 50hz valid?
Caltonian45 m ago

Sorry I should have mentioned, it's £329 in-store at the moment (£50 off) w …Sorry I should have mentioned, it's £329 in-store at the moment (£50 off) which is at the top end of our budget. Thanks for your reply though. I'm still open to ideas :)@EndlessWaves thanks for a very informative reply, much appreciated. Is the comment by cmdr_elito about watching sports at 50hz valid?

Well he offered a subjective opinion on how it compared with a TV costing, at a minimum, twice as much (and LG's is one of the less effective frame creation algorithms).

A 50hz display is definitely worse, but 'really blurry' is overstating it for a good one.
Digihome is a badge-engineered TV banged out by Vestel in Turkey that produce most of the "supermarket-quality" TVs available in UK. If it makes you feel more comfortable with the purchase, the same TV will likely be available with various prestigious badges on it including Finlux, Isis and Panachronic. Generally absolutely nothing wrong with them for general domestic use.
Digihome are the worst, I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole again, you can get a better brand name tv for that price.
Bigfootpete10 m ago

Digihome are the worst, I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole again, you …Digihome are the worst, I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole again, you can get a better brand name tv for that price.

Hi Pete, I'm not doubting your personal experience however on kagoo.com they have 92% customer satisfaction which is the highest of all makes of TV. If it's as bad as you think, hopefully any issues show up quickly and before the guarantee runs out.

On a side note, can you tell me if there is a wide range of apps available for it? I'm struggling to find detailed information about the TV (VA or IPS? Edge-lit or full LED? Etc). Any info would be great thanks.
Caltonian23 m ago

Hi Pete, I'm not doubting your personal experience however on kagoo.com …Hi Pete, I'm not doubting your personal experience however on kagoo.com they have 92% customer satisfaction which is the highest of all makes of TV. If it's as bad as you think, hopefully any issues show up quickly and before the guarantee runs out.On a side note, can you tell me if there is a wide range of apps available for it? I'm struggling to find detailed information about the TV (VA or IPS? Edge-lit or full LED? Etc). Any info would be great thanks.

Sorry, I don't know about what apps they have mine was a few years ago.

But even if they have improved I still wouldn't touch them, especially at the cheap end of the market, I don't trust half the reviews out there, when they are usually only a few words that don't really tell you much about the product. Some of them are saying that the sound is good even when turned up it doesn't sound tinny.
Even expensive sets don't have very good sound so obviously that person doesn't know what they are talking about.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants