Digital camera

Posted 25th Feb
Hello all,

I am looking to buy a digital camera (I know we have phones with cameras) but I would prefer to capture moments with more quality and have a designated item for just taking pictures.

So what am I looking for? Family friendly camera for beginner just to takes of occasions e.g. birthdays vacations etc. My budget? Around £200

I was hoping someone with a bit of knowledge with cameras can point me in the right direction on of what kind specs to look for and maybe which one fits the bill!

If you need more info pls ask
Thanks
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

10 Comments
Try YouTube and look at Amazon reviews
Are you open to getting a camera with interchangeable lenses or do you want something that is more of a pocket camera with a fixed lens?
Panasonic Lumix range are fantastic.
Haircut_10025/02/2020 12:32

Are you open to getting a camera with interchangeable lenses or do you …Are you open to getting a camera with interchangeable lenses or do you want something that is more of a pocket camera with a fixed lens?

Pocket camera with fixed lens. Something that is portable
Haven't bought one for a couple of years (so there are probably people around with much more up to date knowledge!) but I always loved Canon's Powershot range for a great compact camera. Small and lightweight, with a really good optical zoom and excellent quality photos and video. Definitely worth taking a look at some of their newer models as they should be available within your price range
Ignore most of the info you'll get on here and sign up to the forum on dpreview. com

Loads of info if you're prepared to put in a little effort
To distinguish from what is currently achievable with a phone in certain situations, was gonna say that a compact with a 1" or bigger sensor might be the way to go. They're quite expensive though and you'd probably need to look at used to keep within budget :

largish sensor compacts

Of the list below, first two have bonus of eye level viewfinder but more like £250 used or refurbished :
Panasonic TZ100, Panasonic LX100, Panasonic LX15, Canon G7x, Sony RX100 (II), Canon G9x (II)
Could probably get used versions of earlier RX100 models and Canon G9X for budget (or maybe ditch the idea )
chrisjackson25/02/2020 18:24

To distinguish from what is currently achievable with a phone in certain …To distinguish from what is currently achievable with a phone in certain situations, was gonna say that a compact with a 1" or bigger sensor might be the way to go. They're quite expensive though and you'd probably need to look at used to keep within budget :largish sensor compactsOf the list below, first two have bonus of eye level viewfinder but more like £250 used or refurbished :Panasonic TZ100, Panasonic LX100, Panasonic LX15, Canon G7x, Sony RX100 (II), Canon G9x (II)Could probably get used versions of earlier RX100 models and Canon G9X for budget (or maybe ditch the idea )

I second this. Recently bought a Panasonic Lumix DC-TZ200:
dpreview.com/pro…200
Because it puts clear blue water between the capabilities of a max 2 or 3 x optical zoom smartphone and the 15 x optical zoom camera and has that 1" sensor to cope with low light or moving objects. And is small enough to stuff in a bag. But a little bit pricey I'll grant.
Edited by: "harrythefish" 25th Feb
If you want better quality than a phone then you will be wanting a digital SLR. The iphone 11 and the best android phones will all give better results than a compact, the phones even beat the DSLR for novices.
Yep DSLR would be excellent and cheap way to get a step up in quality but seems op looking for something pocketable?

Couple of bonuses a compact might offer over a phone : at a recent wedding party took ambient light photos on a 1" sensor camera @ ISO 1600 and 3200 which froze action and came out "fit for purpose" re. noise after a little post processing. Also the camera offered the option of using bounce flash by holding the flash back with finger or holding in place with rubber band. Nice options to have which isn't to say skilled photographer with a phone wouldn't have produced better pictures of course

Refurbished Panasonic TZ100 now available from official Panasonic outlet @ £225 atm. A bit of step down from harrythefish's camera (particularly regarding zoom) :
tz100 vs tz200
but still pretty good and not a massive stretch of op's budget if a compact camera is a must...
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants