Digital camera help!

Posted 13th Dec 2019
Hi, I would like to get my girlfriend a camera for Christmas. I've been doing my research but I'm panicking that I am running out of time so I'm after some advice.
We are planning on going traveling next year so that's the main purpose of the camera. My budget is around £200/£250. Because it's for traveling, I don't think a DSLR is a good choice. At Currys I've found this Panasonic Lumix TZ70 which is well reviewed but I'm worried that the small 1/2.3 sensor means it won't be better than her phone camera.
The alternatives I've found are this Sony Cybershot DSC-RX100 which has a larger 1 inch sensor, but only has a short 3.6x optical zoom. Is that enough for general travel photos?
Finally there's this Fujifilm X-A20 which is a mirrorless camera. Much larger sensor but I don't think she'd be interested in multiple lenses and it may be too bulking for traveling.
Any advice welcome
Thanks
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

11 Comments
If you're ok with going used (and that's what I'd suggest with that kind of budget), you can find slightly newer generations of the Sony RX100 which is quite a highly regarded camera
Shrekt13/12/2019 18:37

If you're ok with going used (and that's what I'd suggest with that kind …If you're ok with going used (and that's what I'd suggest with that kind of budget), you can find slightly newer generations of the Sony RX100 which is quite a highly regarded camera

Thanks mate. I'd be ok as long as the condition is good. Order a Panasonic Lumix TZ70 grade A from argos, very disappointed with the quality. Will be returning
can vouch for sony..... good cameras
I don't really know much about cameras but my concern would be if you went new on that budget would it really be that much better than a phone camera?
m1keyp1key13/12/2019 19:34

I don't really know much about cameras but my concern would be if you went …I don't really know much about cameras but my concern would be if you went new on that budget would it really be that much better than a phone camera?

Exactly mate that's my worry too
If you are not confident the phone camera won’t give you what you want, Canon Ixus range is excellent, fully auto with plenty of settings to change as you grow with the camera.
It may be better just telling her you want to buy her a camera for Xmas. I'm sure she doesn't believe in santa anymore.
That way she won't be disappointed in any way and you can always get a cheeky surprise bottle of perfume or something.
If you go for used Sony RX100 (that's top class in compact cameras) make sure you get a few spare batteries.. that big sensor is so power hungry
The pen 8 deal is good -£299 - hotukdeals.com/dea…194
Consider cex used - I buy b-grade not been disappointed - a-grade got to be even better.
eg 170 - uk.webuy.com/pro…)-a
You won't be wowed by any standard compact sensor quality - good phone better.
Small is better - you simply won't bother taking a larger camera with you.
Thanks for the help. Went for a mirrorless Sony A5100 I found brand new on eBay for £250
Edited by: "Robatki94" 14th Dec 2019
Ha ! I just got a5100 from cex 3-4 weeks ago for the sensor and touch screen focusing.
Not as much lens choice as m4/3 cameras though, but nice and compact and easy step up for
phone camera users. Very under-rated camera.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions