Digital clocks

Found 11th Aug
I have a clock on my microwave and oven. Obviously have one on my smartphone too. When I set the time on all three together at the same time, they stay in sync for a few minutes but then slowly and gradually I’ve noticed the microwave clock gets ahead of the other two. I set the oven and microwave clocks back in March and I noticed the microwave clock is currently 12mins ahead. It’s happens every time, even if I changed it. any reason for this?
And no, no one else is changing it or having me on
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
It is all to do with how they keep the time after they've been set, the phone can keep it's own time but how it stays accurate without drifting like the microwave is that it auto updates the time through the phone network whenever it needs to, that way it is usually to the second accurate, you can use a website like time.is/ to see exactly how accurate it currently is.

The oven however uses the national grid to keep it's time, because the national grid alternates at an average of 50Hz, every time the current alternates 50 times it knows 1 second has passed, it can use that to keep very accurate time over long periods of time. The first minute of this video describes this well

The microwave on the other hand, I would assume, like a wristwatch has a quartz crystal timing circuit inside to keep it's time, quartz crystals are accurate time keepers but they will gain or loose seconds over time due to changes in the vibration of the quartz crystal (such as temperature) and unlike the phone it has no means of updating the time to keep it accurate over time. Some microwaves can keep the time updated with the national grid instead of using a timing circuit but if the microwave is made for many countries and if a different country uses a different frequency (like the US using 60Hz) that would be more complex for the manufacturer so a quartz timing circuit is used because it will stay the same anywhere in the world, over short periods of time as it's counting down your food it's of no consequence but over the weeks/months it all slowly adds up.
7 Comments
Can't help I'm afraid but interested to know the answer to this as my microwave clock always goes out of sync too?
Currently says it's 15.06 (it's 14.55!)
It is all to do with how they keep the time after they've been set, the phone can keep it's own time but how it stays accurate without drifting like the microwave is that it auto updates the time through the phone network whenever it needs to, that way it is usually to the second accurate, you can use a website like time.is/ to see exactly how accurate it currently is.

The oven however uses the national grid to keep it's time, because the national grid alternates at an average of 50Hz, every time the current alternates 50 times it knows 1 second has passed, it can use that to keep very accurate time over long periods of time. The first minute of this video describes this well

The microwave on the other hand, I would assume, like a wristwatch has a quartz crystal timing circuit inside to keep it's time, quartz crystals are accurate time keepers but they will gain or loose seconds over time due to changes in the vibration of the quartz crystal (such as temperature) and unlike the phone it has no means of updating the time to keep it accurate over time. Some microwaves can keep the time updated with the national grid instead of using a timing circuit but if the microwave is made for many countries and if a different country uses a different frequency (like the US using 60Hz) that would be more complex for the manufacturer so a quartz timing circuit is used because it will stay the same anywhere in the world, over short periods of time as it's counting down your food it's of no consequence but over the weeks/months it all slowly adds up.
redflash2 h, 23 m ago

It is all to do with how they keep the time after they've been set, the …It is all to do with how they keep the time after they've been set, the phone can keep it's own time but how it stays accurate without drifting like the microwave is that it auto updates the time through the phone network whenever it needs to, that way it is usually to the second accurate, you can use a website like https://time.is/ to see exactly how accurate it currently is.The oven however uses the national grid to keep it's time, because the national grid alternates at an average of 50Hz, every time the current alternates 50 times it knows 1 second has passed, it can use that to keep very accurate time over long periods of time. The first minute of this video describes this well[Video] The microwave on the other hand, I would assume, like a wristwatch has a quartz crystal timing circuit inside to keep it's time, quartz crystals are accurate time keepers but they will gain or loose seconds over time due to changes in the vibration of the quartz crystal (such as temperature) and unlike the phone it has no means of updating the time to keep it accurate over time. Some microwaves can keep the time updated with the national grid instead of using a timing circuit but if the microwave is made for many countries and if a different country uses a different frequency (like the US using 60Hz) that would be more complex for the manufacturer so a quartz timing circuit is used because it will stay the same anywhere in the world, over short periods of time as it's counting down your food it's of no consequence but over the weeks/months it all slowly adds up.

+1 for great detailed info.
-1 for typo on "loose"

Such a British video, absolutely hilarious. Thanks for sharing.
+1 for the video.
Edited by: "MadeDixonsCry" 11th Aug
redflash11th Aug

It is all to do with how they keep the time after they've been set, the …It is all to do with how they keep the time after they've been set, the phone can keep it's own time but how it stays accurate without drifting like the microwave is that it auto updates the time through the phone network whenever it needs to, that way it is usually to the second accurate, you can use a website like https://time.is/ to see exactly how accurate it currently is.The oven however uses the national grid to keep it's time, because the national grid alternates at an average of 50Hz, every time the current alternates 50 times it knows 1 second has passed, it can use that to keep very accurate time over long periods of time. The first minute of this video describes this well[Video] The microwave on the other hand, I would assume, like a wristwatch has a quartz crystal timing circuit inside to keep it's time, quartz crystals are accurate time keepers but they will gain or loose seconds over time due to changes in the vibration of the quartz crystal (such as temperature) and unlike the phone it has no means of updating the time to keep it accurate over time. Some microwaves can keep the time updated with the national grid instead of using a timing circuit but if the microwave is made for many countries and if a different country uses a different frequency (like the US using 60Hz) that would be more complex for the manufacturer so a quartz timing circuit is used because it will stay the same anywhere in the world, over short periods of time as it's counting down your food it's of no consequence but over the weeks/months it all slowly adds up.

Wow thanks it all makes sense now! Amazing info. Thanks again.
Time traveling microwave?.
speedemon4 h, 25 m ago

Wow thanks it all makes sense now! Amazing info. Thanks again. …Wow thanks it all makes sense now! Amazing info. Thanks again.

I have a cheapo smart phone that I bought a couple of years ago. Not my main phone by the way. Recently I changed internet providers and didn't connect this particular phone to the internet due to being with a new provider, if that makes sense. I noticed the time was well out of sync due to this, so assumed it was being connected to the internet and not the network provider. Though then again, I don't have a SIM in that particular phone. So maybe it's both (?).

Also, the quality of the hardware varies widely from phone to phone as well So the time can also appear inaccurate from one phone to another.

Same issue with apps as well, especially health apps for example, the readings can often be inaccurate due to the hardware on phones varying widely. This can also be misleading and potentially dangerous for your health (if that's an issue when using these types of apps).

And the same could be argued with fitness trackers as well as queried by someone on here recently. Possibly.

hotukdeals.com/discussions/fitbit-ionic-2955859
Edited by: "LemonHead" 11th Aug
redflash19 h, 32 m ago

Cheers for that, brilliant vid!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants