Digital Keys sellers disappearing from ebay?

Posted 26th Jan 2021
Anyone noticed this recently? I was browsing ebay around christmas time for a key for MS Office. Hundreds of sellers had keys for older versions of office. I decided to wait till after the year to get a key.
Just checked ebay now and all the key sellers have mysteriously disappeared. Only a handful of sellers remain but most accounts have been purged.
Anyone know whats happened?
Community Updates
Ask
New Comment

Categories

49 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Willy_Wonka
    deleted257038126/01/2021 22:36

Illegality can never be condoned

And neither should Microsoft charging £60 per year for using their monopolised software
    Anonymous User
    mutley126/01/2021 21:47

probably because it was a big deal flagged up on hukd and people were …probably because it was a big deal flagged up on hukd and people were grassing to MS.

Yes indeed. Such people who grass include me. Illegality can never be condoned, and must always be condemned in the strongly possible terms.

43646484-RreDf.jpg (edited)
    bingus
    I'm guessing Volume Licensing Key is just too big a word for you to fit in there with Microsoft's boot
    Anonymous User
    If you can’t get a cheap key from eBay then, KMS
    dipsylalapo
    Willy_Wonka26/01/2021 23:05

And neither should Microsoft charging £60 per year for using their …And neither should Microsoft charging £60 per year for using their monopolised software

There are definitely alternatives that work just as well.
    EndlessWaves

And neither should Microsoft charging £60 per year for using their …And neither should Microsoft charging £60 per year for using their monopolised software

Plenty of people will spend over £300 every 5 years on a single piece of computer hardware, why is software any less valuable?

That attitude is the reason there's a lack of competition. If you expect to pay peanuts for for a market leading product, why is anyone going to develop a competitor they'd have to price lower for the first few years?
    ladaowner
    AliExpress is where I go now.
    mutley1
    Yazoo199026/01/2021 21:37

I was just viewing a listing and refreshed the page and ebay deleted the …I was just viewing a listing and refreshed the page and ebay deleted the listing lolSeems like they're hot on MS Office keys for some reason

probably because it was a big deal flagged up on hukd and people were grassing to MS.
    adamtattonreid
    I bought one 3 weeks ago - within days I had umpteen messages from eBay that the account selling them was hacked. few days later the office key was blacklisted and no good. Simple refund though.
    bigwheels
    Got a win 10 pro key for my friend 10 days ago, for £2.34 I think it was.
    Now they have all disappeared.
    Last year I paid £0.99p
    powerbrick
    mutley126/01/2021 21:47

probably because it was a big deal flagged up on hukd and people were …probably because it was a big deal flagged up on hukd and people were grassing to MS.

Quite rightly too.
    mutley1
    Walibi26/01/2021 22:13

They just go after whatever seems to be the biggest threat (i.e getting …They just go after whatever seems to be the biggest threat (i.e getting sued). Its still full of fake graphics cards and car adverts which they do nothing about.

MS probably contacted them and asked them to remove the illegal listings
    adam.mt

They don't and it isn't. Office is available in perpetual form and there's lots of very good alternatives.
    mutley1
    deleted257038126/01/2021 22:36

Yes indeed. Such people who grass include me. Illegality can never be …Yes indeed. Such people who grass include me. Illegality can never be condoned, and must always be condemned in the strongly possible terms.[Image]

yes, you were the one i was thinking of. i am sure your grassing has alerted MS to have a go at ebay
    paul_merton
    Misslovely27/01/2021 01:00

Even loads of sellers sell fake book of stamps !

Blimey, really? Can you point me at an example?
    Misslovely
    paul_merton27/01/2021 13:49

Blimey, really? Can you point me at an example?

Type 1st class stamp book and the 12s are mostly cheap and fake around £6/£7 a book. I received full refund from him. The bottom row had half logo of Royal Mail, while top was ok but not shiny stamps unlike original
    Misslovely
    paul_merton27/01/2021 14:31

Can you point me at an actual example? I can't find any that cheap with …Can you point me at an actual example? I can't find any that cheap with that search term.

ebay.co.uk/itm/164667460207

Try buying it (edited)
    paul_merton
    Misslovely27/01/2021 15:43

ebay.co.uk/itm/164667460207Try buying it

Thanks. Bit cheeky of them not to include it in the title, but the description does say they are unfranked stamps. Perfectly legal to sell and buy, but not to use for postage. Definitely wrong to describe them as new though.
    adam.mt
    Mobb_Deep27/01/2021 16:31

Oh lol I thought this was about Windows 10 Yeah Office is pretty … Oh lol I thought this was about Windows 10 Yeah Office is pretty basic, you don't need it, at least nowadays, Ive never seen the use for itI remember using it in school but now I don't even touch it

Can't be right, you must be lying. Microsoft Office is a state funded monopoly
    joedastudd

There are alternatives OfficeLibre, Google Docs, etc hell Microsoft office online is free.

Don't get me wrong I'm not a fan of the subscription movement, but there are valid alternatives and you can still buy the single licenses.

Most if not all of the cheap keys are grey market or stolen accounts. By supporting them your encouraging more illegal activity like phishing and all the extra work it gives Microsoft causes the price to increase.
    Anonymous User

Monopoly? So no users of MacOS, iOS, Android, ChromeOS, linux.....?
    ReecesWaffle95
    eBay ban their accounts as the keys are usually stolen/bought with fraudulent means.

They do pop up every now and then though so keep an eye on it.
    Yazoo1990 Author
    ReecesWaffle9526/01/2021 21:29

eBay ban their accounts as the keys are usually stolen/bought with …eBay ban their accounts as the keys are usually stolen/bought with fraudulent means.They do pop up every now and then though so keep an eye on it.

I was just viewing a listing and refreshed the page and ebay deleted the listing lol
    Seems like they're hot on MS Office keys for some reason
    Walibi
    They just go after whatever seems to be the biggest threat (i.e getting sued). Its still full of fake graphics cards and car adverts which they do nothing about.
    Zek
    I assumed the the Windows 10 Pro keys were old Windows 7 pro keys from corporate machines that have been recycled and are able to be digitally upgraded to Windows 10 Pro?
    joyf4536
    Kent Motor Services ? (edited)
    Misslovely
    Even loads of sellers sell fake book of stamps !
    groenleader
    They will be back soon and every hot deal member be like; 43648193-2ZUQX.jpg
    Mobb_Deep
    dipsylalapo27/01/2021 06:15

There are definitely alternatives that work just as well.

Linux isn't suitable for gamers

Also do legit copies still get removed when you replace your motherboard? (edited)
    Mobb_Deep
    EndlessWaves27/01/2021 12:48

Plenty of people will spend over £300 every 5 years on a single piece of …Plenty of people will spend over £300 every 5 years on a single piece of computer hardware, why is software any less valuable? That attitude is the reason there's a lack of competition. If you expect to pay peanuts for for a market leading product, why is anyone going to develop a competitor they'd have to price lower for the first few years?

Because software can easily be stolen. Hardware not so much
    You wouldn't steal a car but you would steal a car if it was digital
    Stealing a real object is much different tha steeling something they can make a infinite number of and it doesn't cost them any extra (edited)
    dipsylalapo
    Mobb_Deep27/01/2021 13:28

Linux isn't suitable for gamersAlso do legit copies still get removed when …Linux isn't suitable for gamersAlso do legit copies still get removed when you replace your motherboard?

This is about Office
    paul_merton
    Misslovely27/01/2021 13:54

Type 1st class stamp book and the 12s are mostly cheap and fake around …Type 1st class stamp book and the 12s are mostly cheap and fake around £6/£7 a book. I received full refund from him. The bottom row had half logo of Royal Mail, while top was ok but not shiny stamps unlike original

Can you point me at an actual example? I can't find any that cheap with that search term.
    Mobb_Deep
    dipsylalapo27/01/2021 13:35

This is about Office

Oh lol I thought this was about Windows 10
    Yeah Office is pretty basic, you don't need it, at least nowadays, Ive never seen the use for it
    I remember using it in school but now I don't even touch it (edited)
    Anonymous User
    adam.mt27/01/2021 08:05

They don't and it isn't. Office is available in perpetual form and there's …They don't and it isn't. Office is available in perpetual form and there's lots of very good alternatives.

Correct.

For those who are subscription-averse, the last perpetual version of Office is said to be released later in 2021 with the release of Office 2022.
    Anonymous User
    EndlessWaves27/01/2021 12:48

Plenty of people will spend over £300 every 5 years on a single piece of …Plenty of people will spend over £300 every 5 years on a single piece of computer hardware, why is software any less valuable? That attitude is the reason there's a lack of competition. If you expect to pay peanuts for for a market leading product, why is anyone going to develop a competitor they'd have to price lower for the first few years?

You need to belch out your correct and moral logic in Endless Waves from the White Cliffs of Dover, until the ignorant and amoral recognise that equity should apply to both physical objects and easily cloned digital products. (edited)
    Anonymous User
    Misslovely27/01/2021 13:54

Type 1st class stamp book and the 12s are mostly cheap and fake around …Type 1st class stamp book and the 12s are mostly cheap and fake around £6/£7 a book. I received full refund from him. The bottom row had half logo of Royal Mail, while top was ok but not shiny stamps unlike original

Are these stamp books blatant counterfeit products, or are they the result of printing errors that are of interest to philatelists ?

If they are indeed counterfeit, it is absolutely outrageous that people can blatantly sell them on an open marketplace.
    Anonymous User
    Anyone looking to purchase GENUINE Microsoft Office should consider this offer:

A reduction by £20 for Microsoft 365 Family.
    Price: £39.99 for up to 6 users who can activate across multiple devices, AND 1TB of cloud storage per user

Check out the deal at: hotukdeals.com/dea…796 (edited)
    captainbeaky
    From eBay website:

”Due to the nature of electronically delivered goods, extra care needs to be taken to prevent intellectual property infringement and minimise risks for buyers“

”Electronically delivered items that are not allowed, include:

Software keys the seller is not authorised to sell.......”

”Activity that doesn't follow eBay policy could result in a range of actions including for example: administratively ending or cancelling listings, hiding or demoting all listings from search results, lowering seller rating, buying or selling restrictions, and account suspension. (edited)
    Willy_Wonka
    deleted10436228/01/2021 09:45

Monopoly? So no users of MacOS, iOS, Android, ChromeOS, linux.....?

Do they teach them to all kids in school? No
    Anonymous User
    Mobb_Deep27/01/2021 13:28

Linux isn't suitable for gamers

Haven't you heard of Proton? Or the new version of Wine released recently.

Linux is more suited to gaming now than it has ever been before. Valve are actively doing their best to get all the titles in Steam working on linux if they can.
    Anonymous User
    Willy_Wonka28/01/2021 09:48

Do they teach them to all kids in school? No

You would be surprised I think.

Most schools probably have some Macs, about 1/3 of the kids at my son's school get provided with iPads for coursework, and most kids will have phones of their own. And an awful lot of them will use Chromebooks, as they are cheap compared to Windows machines, and easier to mass manage. (And with ChromeOS, you also get access to linux)

(And before you ask, it's a normal local council run secondary school)
's avatar
Top Merchants