Dining table leg screw inserts

Found 18th Jan 2015
Hi,

As you will see in the attached pics of my dining table, the screw inserts (assuming that's what they are called) have worn out\broke. Leg now wobbles and with a young kid at home, there is a good chance of an accident.

Any suggestion on how to fix this will greatly help. Please advice what to buy and how to fix this.

thanks

17 Comments

Original Poster

http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag28/pompa865/IMG-20150117-WA0006_zpse1066aa4.jpg

http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag28/pompa865/IMG-20150117-WA0004_zps80b859f3.jpg

If it's just loose place a small piece of paper around the inside of the screw insert and then re attach the leg. The paper should act like a wall plug and secure the leg. Hope it helps.

I don't think that inserting paper will help, the insert at the top actually looks broken.

Time for a new table perhaps.

buy a tap and dye set and bigger bolts

christopheshort1

buy a tap and dye set and bigger bolts

I don't think that will work either, the top one looks to me as if it is broken in to pieces.

drill out old screw bits. There isa reverse bit just for this that bites info The metal and unscrews the nasty little begger. good luck

If it's the bolt then just buy a similar bolt and cut the end off and file it smooth. If it's the nut then look into Helicoil

It's the best way of doing it.

replace inserts and bolts where needed they will just be pressed in insert bolt and prize out
Edited by: "ninegt" 18th Jan 2015

How about bunging some of this in the bolt hole then gently screw the bolt in then when it's hardened then tighten it more

TBH I would say it's New Table Time

looking at the pics the table is not solid wood but some kind of MDF type material and the core material is cracked between the two threaded inserts, that is why they are loose.

Once the core material has failed it is very difficult to execute a permanent repair

EliTom

elitom

TBH I would say it's New Table Timelooking at the pics the table is not … TBH I would say it's New Table Timelooking at the pics the table is not solid wood but some kind of MDF type material and the core material is cracked between the two threaded inserts, that is why they are loose.Once the core material has failed it is very difficult to execute a permanent repairEliTom

This ^^^^^^^^^^

Original Poster

elitom

TBH I would say it's New Table Timelooking at the pics the table is not … TBH I would say it's New Table Timelooking at the pics the table is not solid wood but some kind of MDF type material and the core material is cracked between the two threaded inserts, that is why they are loose.Once the core material has failed it is very difficult to execute a permanent repairEliTom

I've no idea if this is MDF or not. I was assuming this is solid wood.

philipkole

I've no idea if this is MDF or not. I was assuming this is solid wood.

the photos you post do not look like solid wood - post a pic of a corner of the table from above - that will be easier to tell

EliTom

Looks like solid wood to me

ding

Looks like solid wood to me

It doesn't look like solid wood to me.

are you sure those inserts don`t screw out?? looks like they are screwed in using a 6 or 8mm hex (allen) key.there`s a smooth start to the thread before the internal thread begins with what looks like marking of an external screwthread i.e. into the wood,maybe you can remove and replace but in all honesty,if the thread is knackered then possibly the leg threaded bolt will be too

Edited by: "whingygit" 18th Jan 2015

Original Poster

whingygit

are you sure those inserts don`t screw out?? looks like they are screwed … are you sure those inserts don`t screw out?? looks like they are screwed in using a 6 or 8mm hex (allen) key.there`s a smooth start to the thread before the internal thread begins with what looks like marking of an external screwthread i.e. into the wood,maybe you can remove and replace but in all honesty,if the thread is knackered then possibly the leg threaded bolt will be too

i have not yet tried to screw out the inserts bcoz I dont know how to do it. Bolts are perfectly fine.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions